What Kind of Hooker Are You? Crocheter Personality Comparisons

The Crochet Crowd

Sheri Goad, 7th Place for the Mad Hatters Challenge

I was thinking about what type of crocheter am I. I began to dig around in my ‘noggin and realized there are different types of personalities based on the love of crochet. I have a cross mix of personalities depending on the project.

Just for kicks, let’s compare. Would love your comments to hear what type of hooker are you!

Wanna-be Hooker:  You enjoy the concept of hooking and longingly lust over other peoples work, but you haven’t quite mustered the oomph to get started. You most likely have a skein or two of yarn and a hook sitting next to you in case inspiration strikes while you spend your day clicking through multiple crochet boards.

‘Squirrely’ Hooker: You are like a squirrel in a nut shop! Your love of it all is uncontrollable. You might actually concentrate long enough to complete a project before you see something else you HAVE TO TRY, but probably not! You most likely have multiple projects going on at this very minute, and chances are just before you looked at this post, you were looking at patterns, even though your hook is probably in the middle of a stitch right now!

Happy Hooker: You are happy, happy, happy! You take great pleasure in selecting, hooking and finishing up each project before moving on to the next. You most likely spend a day enjoying the fruits of your labor and more often than not, will take to social media to share your accomplishment with others before carefully planning out what’s up next on your hook.

Social Hooker: You prefer to hook in a social setting. It’s all about getting together and hooking with friends. You most likely have a travel bag that holds your current WIP and enough space for a bottle of wine to bring along. Chances are your hook and yarn will remain in your bag until the next social gathering.

Committed Hooker:  Your heart belongs to only one…hook that is. Where there are two or more involved, things are just too complicated. You most likely don’t judge others who choose to split their devotion; it’s just not for you.

Moonlighting Hooker: You definitely love hooking, but there’s something else renting space in your heart. You most likely crochet for fun but when it’s time to get serious you opt to grab your needles. When you are around your crochet friends, you are open about your split devotion, although you aren’t as readily open about your hooking when you are around your knitting friends.

Insane Hooker:  You have given up your mind for hooking! You sleep eat and drink crochet. When you don’t have a hook in your hand you have a pattern in your brain. You will most likely NOT EVER, not have a hook in your hand! You keep a pen and paper with your hook and yarn by the bed stand for the nights you wake up with an idea.  You are identified by those around you as the crazy person with a hook in their hands. You think your pet is endearingly hanging out to terrorize or snuggle you while you work…while they are most likely just making sure you aren’t crocheting a unicorn horn, or a daisy for them to wear.

Chime In! I’d love to hear from you! Tell me in the comments below what you are!

Casting off until the next time we hook up,

Sheri Goad – Hooked on Ewe! Knot Just Yarn Blog Guest Blogger

Come on over and visit me at Frogging Along

About Sheri Goad

Crocheting is my addiction. I'm a mom, wife, home daycare provider, crocheter, writer, youth director, crafter and more. I like trying new things but only stick to those that I love. Life is too short to be doing things you don't love. I blog regularly at Frogging Along, and I am a Guest Blogger for The Crochet Crowd.
This entry was posted in Hooked on Ewe: Sheri Goad and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

274 Responses to What Kind of Hooker Are You? Crocheter Personality Comparisons

1. Karen says:

Definitely a squirrely moonlighting hooker, with a little social thrown in for good measure. I have a variety of projects in a variety of forms in progress as I type this.

2. Marilyn says:

I am a Happy Squirrelly Hooker! I have always loved crocheting & always doing one project after another! But it wasn’t till my grand daughter just recently introduced me to You Tube that I became squirrelly. I found Mickey, the Crochet Crowd, & Mickey’ s tutorials! My world turned upside down!! I finish my projects so I’m Happy! But squirrelly cuz before I’m finished, I’ve already watched more of Mickey’s tutorials for the next 2 or 3 projects!!
    The Happy Squirrelly Hooker 😘 😍

3. Bobbie Burke says:

I’m squirrely for sure. In the midddle of treatment for breast cancer, then will get my knee replaced… Meanwhile my hubby and I live in a small RV and have just recently had our 3 year old grandaughter move in with us! I am bad about starting projects without finishing the last one…Really bad habit, but I can’t seem to finish it all before the next idea pops up…

4. Julie Ashton says:

I am definitely a happy hooker…. I have a Crochet Crowd mug that says so…. 😉

5. Sheri Goad says:

Reblogged this on Frogging Along and commented:

My first post on Knot Just Yarn Blog as a guest blogger for The Crochet Crowd!

6. I am a moonlighter – I was knee-deep into a gorgeous Noel redwork counted cross stitch piece when I saw some yarn at Michaels to make my friend a baby afghan. – finished that and saw the pineapple afghan challenge here and, of course, another friend just moved into her new house and I am trying to finish it by Mother’s Day. I was looking at the cutest knitted baby sweater pattern the other day…. And it goes on and on. Did I tell you I’m a full-time working mother with a disabled husband? – who cheers me on with all my projects and gently reminds me to finish them.

7. Teri-Lynn Renirie says:

I’m an insane squirrelly happy hooker. I’ve made baby blankets for my sons in case one day they become fathers and I’m not alive at the time. Kind of crazy, but they love me for it. They are 23, 22, and 18. I can’t stop!

8. danielledyer says:

I think there are stages, as I have been every one of them at one point lol! I am the INSANE HOOKER!! And here’s why:
    I have a crochet business that my life revolves around! I think about it all the time! I work with local yarn stores.
    But the real reason I know that I am an Insane Hooker is because, just recently, I went to my boyfriends parents and his mother had a table cloth that had been crocheted in the 1970’s. She asked me if I could possibly fix a thread that had been pulled loose from someone stepping on it. It was such a beautiful lace table cloth. More like a VERY LARGE doily. I took one look at it, reached in my purse, pulled out three different hook sizes. I had 2 sets of hooks with me!!! LOL Needless to say I had it crocheted and fixed in less than 15 minutes.
    Now thats INSANE!

9. ‘Squirrely’ Hooker: While I certainly finish projects, I always have more than one going at a time. And I literally have my hook in the middle of a stitch on my afghan as we speak, so I cannot deny that title. I also love all needle crafts. It all started with crochet but I’ve ventured into knitting, shuttle and needle tatting, and I think my next venture will either be hand embroidery or cross stitch. Heck, both!

10. Right on the nose ! Insane squirrelly hooker…. Also darn proud of it!!

11. Kim Holmes says:

I’m a squirrelly hooker and verging on a few other kinds of hooker. I just love crocheting and at present have 5 things on the go or maybe 6. I also have about a hundred in my head and now even have a crochet folder where I print off or scan unusual patters or anything that grabs my attention. I live colourful projects and mixing wool with other colours to give a whole new look to items.
    Only just beginning to read patterns to do more complicated projects so takes longer and full attention. Because of this I have other projects that can be done while watching tv or waiting in hospital & doctors for appointments.
    HAPPY HOOKING TO YOU ALL. GO FORTH AND HOOK HOOK HOOK.
    😜😃😀😛😜🌺💐❤️⭐️

12. LB says:

Squirrelly hooker, guilty as charged. Describes me perfectly.

13. patriciacottonwood says:

Squirrely here. But… I am now making a concerted effort to ‘curb my enthusiasm’ enough to get important wips done so I don’t feel badly when I start something new. I love looking at patterns and projects and yarns and I do quite a lot of it.

14. Patricia S says:

Squirrely here! I love contemplating patterns/projects and starting new ones. But I’m making a concerted effort this year to finish the project wips I currently have at this point before starting the afghans I want to make.

15. Stacy says:

I’m a happy hooker! Lol and Thank you Mikey. Because of you I tried my first pattern. When I was unsure about something’s .. Bam there was a tutorial . Getting ready to try another pattern. Fingers crossed.

16. Donna B says:

I am a insanely happy hooker. Eat, sleep and drink crochet, but love finishing one project before starting another. My mind is always going in all directions about colors and patterns and hook sizes. Mikey, your bang on!!!

17. Debbie Dubois says:

Squirrel Hooker!!! I love your name for my disorder! Thank you! 🙂

18. Eleanor says:

Hello my name is Eleanor I am a happy squirrelly hooker. And proud of it wehohoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. I am a squirrely hooker, get bored working on one project and start a new one, sometimes I have three or four projects going and work on each one a little at a time. This happens a lot when I’m on The Crochet Crowd and see all the beautiful afghans that have been done, guess I’m looking for more inspiration. I love The Crochet Crowd!

• Nancy Chandler says:

Me too Robin. I’m squirrely. I have books (not pages) of patterns I see on the Crochet Crowd and usually have 2 projects on the go at once whilst thinking about what I’m going to do beyond that. Crochet Crowd had changed my life. Crochetting is my greatest pleasure.

20. Nicole says:

OMG! I’m definitely squirrelly! I have at least 5 active projects and I don’t know how many I’ve abandoned to try something new. Don’t even ask me about my stash. Going into any store that might even possibly sell yarn is dangerous. Maybe I’m a little insane too…

21. Vivian says:

I’m a squirrelly hooker. I have 4-5 projects going on at the moment and there are several more I want to start. I do finish them … eventually :). If I run out of yarn I look for things I can crochet. Like old sheets, old tee shirts, plastic shopping bags. Maybe I’m a touch insane too. Oh well. Gotta go. Happy hooking :p

22. Betty Merchant says:

Bang on. I’m a Happy hooker. 100%

23. Rose says:

Mikey, you are Bang on.
    I’m a Happy Squirrely Insane hooker. I’ve always perusing what others have done, loving it, and have multiple projects on my hooks. I love displaying what I’ve completed – wearing, gifting, and sharing my crochet wisdom with others. It’s a complete addiction. But at least it’s a useful one!

24. Mariah says:

Squirrely, and a bit Insane! Sounds accurate to me hahaha 🙂 I recognize the other types too !!!

25. Missy says:

Squirrely,Happy Hooker!

26. Maria Torres says:

I’m a moonlighting squirrely wannabe hooker.. I’m a dabbler of many creative outlets such as crochet, knitting, loom knitting, cro tat, sewing, making bows, headbands and other crafty things. I’m all over the place, my corner is an organized disaster zone. When I do crochet it’s usually small portions of different projects at different intervals within the week, try to say that three times… not only that but I’m frequenting pinterest and other blogs to find inspiration and to ad to my crochet list of to do items… I’m always dreaming of the next project whilst a crochet hook in hand finishing the current project.. I love to crochet, the act of crochet and the idea of crochet. Quite frankly, I’m thinking of what project I want to begin or conclude.. I got it bad…but it feels so good!!!!!

27. Ada Sloan-Orm says:

I’m a squirrely, insane, moonlighter. I have 7 or 8 plastic tube of yarn &crochet thread. And also at least 10 tubs of fabric & 1 of beads. I love to maake things. I also like to help kids learn how to make crafts. I have a couple of crochet WIP, But my big challenge at this momet is trying to put the colors together to get started on my grandson’s afghan for his high school graduation. When this generation, of family, began reaching graduation age I decided to make each one an afghan that they could take to college with them.

28. Mrs wilson says:

A squirrelly smh I’m every where lol and to many unfinished projects always starting something new once I learn a stitch or project I get board way to easy and ready for the next project shame on me I gotta force my self to finish lmbo

29. I’m closer to The Insane Hooker than anything else. How else can I build up my stock for the next craft fair? Besides, I feel guilty when I just sit and stare at that box with nothing in my hands. And, it’s a tablet instead of paper and pen. I’m with the times! Later!

30. linda says:

Im a squirrel-ly-wanna-be-hooker, Im constantly watching stuff; new projects, patterns, stitches thinking “oooh! I wonder if I can do that…” then I try it, but I cant help getting distracted by another intriguing project or pattern & never seem to finish anything

31. Corrie says:

Happy Hooker here

• Laurel says:

I am the squirrelly insane hooker. I love to crochet and get fantastic ideas from Mikey’s video tutorials. I love to see my finished projects and people love to receive handmade gifts. I crochet for pleasure and for the homeless since I donate a lot of scarves and afghans to these people who need things. To me there is nothing I find better to help me relax and unwind then to crochet and I will gladly teach others who want to learn.

32. Elaine Benton says:

I am the Insane Hooked. I have more yarn and crochet patterns than I can possibilities. But I keep getting more.vIsit always want to crochet and am having trouble packing my house because I need to crochet.

• Maria Torres says:

That’s funny you say that, before I moved I packed a bag quite a big one and another to put my to do projects or dreams into with yarn, hooks, patterns..etc. it was my go to stash before the move, while packing, moving and unpacking.. the packing of the coveted stash took more planning than the actual house packing lol.. the trick was to keep said bags in a safe location as to not lose them within the fray of the packing and moving.. fortunately for me I never lost track of those bags but a bit of advice if you choose to pack a stash bag, pack different size hooks.. I lost the one I needed for one of my planned projects in the moving boxes and had forgotten to pack it in the stash bag…no bueno.. so I had to work on something else >_<

• Cookie Coleen O'Kane says:

Thank you for the advice!! I have (at least) 2 of the most common hooks so I just leave one of those in my take along bag to avoid exactly what happened to you!

33. Nicole says:

I’m a squirrelly, committed, insanely happy hooker! Lol

34. Jerry Fidler says:

The one kind of hooker that was left out…the Charity Hooker. I would probably fit in most all of the categories, but I’m really a Charity Hooker. 90% of everything I have crocheted in the last 20 or more years has gone to various charities. I take great pleasure in doing this and as soon as I finish one project I’m on to the next, always have a hook in my hand while watching TV in the evenings.

35. Heather Welch says:

Moonlighter! I love crocheting (especially in the winter) but I also love sewing.

36. Cookie Coleen O'Kane says:

I have to admit, I’m the INSANE hooker….I even have a special small canvas bag that I use to put my yarn, scissors etc in to take with me when I know I’ll be sitting in a waiting room for any length of time. I have the paper and pen next to my recliner (my favorite napping chair) for “notes to me” (patterns to look for, yarn or other crochet material to buy). I’m rarely without my crochet project with me. Last year, while at camp for the summer, I finished 7 full sized Christmas afghans (intended to be presents) in 6 weeks!!!

37. Victoria Oplinger says:

I guess I’m a Squirrelly Committed Insane Hooker. 🙂 I always have more than one project going on, I have more patterns than I could ever complete in my lifetime and I always want more, but I do ‘eventually’ finish everything I start. But all my friends and family know that I’m the Crazy Crochet Cat Lady. I deconstruct crocheted things that I see in stores, other peoples’ houses, etc. I buy yarn because I like it and “have to have it” and then figure out what to do with it later. I have a ton of stash, but it keeps growing. And if I ever learn how to spin my own yarn, my cats better get used to being brushed because I will TOTALLY make yarn out of their wonderful, soft fur! 🙂

38. Jacqui says:

definitely a ‘Squirrely’ Hooker, I have been getting more and more into crochet over the last year and can’t pass a pattern or a ball of yarn and I have 4 projects on the go

39. Joy says:

I am a happy, Squirrely, Insane Hooker!! My honey isn’t sure what to think of all my projects!! Love them all, and I do finish some and when I do I always have to fill the empty space by picking up another project to get into!! 🙂

40. Tami Pekera says:

I’m a Moonlighter! I enjoy crochet mostly in the winter and during the summer gardening and my animals take the forefront. Crochet will always be with me and I enjoy making things for others to enjoy. 🙂

• Tami Pekera says:

Oh yea I forgot to mention I do crochet on rainy days! lol Lately though I have had school work and I finished my BA in psychology so that kept me busy and I will be going for my Masters beginning in August. Summer fun till then baby!!!!!

41. Sarah Steele says:

Can you be a little bit of all of them? lol I can’t decide, they all sound a little like me. 😀