Five Additional Awards for Mad Hatter Challenge

Mad Hatter Challenger Awards

The winners chosen will receive a surprised package from Diva Dan and I in their mailboxes over the next few weeks.

Diva Dan and I have decided to offer 5 additional prizes for the hats that really stood out. The hats chosen were based on reactions when opening up the boxes, a bit of sly humour and/or something about the hat made us drop our jaw.

I will caption each photo to why we selected the hat and the quick story to it.

The Crochet Crowd

Julie Birkes: Hookah Hat.

This hat was really well constructed and we laughed so hard when opening up the box. We thought Julie’s attention to detail and with the play off the words Hookah with Hooker was brilliant. The hat was able to stand up by itself. During the show, so many guests loved this hat. Maybe because it’s a bit taboo.

One lady said, “I just can’t take my eyes off of it, I’m dying to try to smoke it!” Diva Dan was wearing it and I told her to keep her lips off my man!

The Crochet Crowd

Jerilyn Fidler: Inside the Rabbit Hole

This was a package we opened up at the post office. The post office employees were dying to see your creativity. We would open 1 box nearly every visit to see what was inside.

This box, when we opened it… we thought due to hat being glued to the base. We thought the crochter had just did a hat that was glued. The inside was stuffed with newspaper. So looking at the hat, we thought just a few things were attached, we didn’t realize the entire interior was done up.

In a thought to keep the newspaper being recycled, we removed the paper afterward and were shocked that the interior of the hat was all done up. Jerilyn had wired up the hat. The mini top hat wih the feather is actually covering a mini light to light up the hole. She did a great job of mixed media and most of the characters inside had crochet embellishments and more.

The Crochet Crowd

Emma Ivemey: Flamingo Hat

This hat made us laugh really hard when we received it. It was one of those we had to try on. We snapped a few photos and sent them off to our team at Red Heart and Creativ Festival. We titled the hat, “Don’t Touch The Bird”.

This bird was really well done. For many of us, we laughed a lot as it’s so outrageous but so creative at the same time. It was a hit at the show as people were requesting to see it. It’s a fun hat to wear.

The Crochet Crowd

Donna Longtin: The Caterpillar’s Realm

Donna’s hat came in as nearly one of the first hats. It was a huge box and really well done. It was the first hat submitted to us where the hat was part of the decor and not for actual wearing. She took the time to make the caterpillar from polymer. Her attention to detail and colours were fantastic.

We realized from this moment that we should expect the unexpected from hats that we are going to receive. It was a fabulous mixed media project.

The Crochet Crowd

Sheri Goad: Character Hats Mobile

This hat stunned us half to death when it came out of the box. It was the only mobile of all of the hats submitted. She decided to do one main hat to qualify for the challenge and 6 miniature versions to hang. It proudly hung from The Hooker Alley Lamp Post.

We were looking for 1 hat to put on the post and when it came out of the box… Daniel and I turned to each other and said… ‘This is the one!’

Sheri paid attention to the small little details and construction to make this work. Even the mouse is holding an umbrella when it’s hanging up.

Again, we loved each hat that was submitted to us. We would award every hat if it was possible.

This entry was posted in Community Awards & Honours, Crafting Shows and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Five Additional Awards for Mad Hatter Challenge

1. Dot 35 says:

I am thrilled that you have shown us the hats!! I ran into a problem with my hand after finishing the top hat and had to stop but the saying of “everything happens for a reason” is so true and I was able to use my hat and turn it into a Victorian hat for entry as a centerpiece for my convention that I was going to on the weekend ogf the 25th and took a prize for our chapter!! Thank you for inspiring me!!! Wish I could send you my picture!!!

2. Christine B. says:

I can’t believe the Alice Down the Rabbit’s Hole didn’t win anything, especially since it was featured in SO many of your advertisements and promotions. Did I miss something? Did you give her a special award? That one was fantastic!

3. Jennifer Hixson says:

Yeah I knew Inwouldnt win…

4. Pingback: They’ve Gone Mad and Other Crochet Related Tid Bits | Frogging Along

5. Debbie says:

That was so nice of you and Dan to do so. I do remember him wearing the bird in a pic you posted. And the Hooka hat at the creative festiva, my hubby wanted to know if that hat was Dan’s creation? LOL… Glad for these winners and Congratulations ! As I said before each one was a winner!!

6. Sandra S. Williams says:

Great idea to do additional awards. These certainly deserve it.

7. Linda says:

I am in awe of these remarkable people. Makes me want to do more!!!!

8. These hats are fantastic! I love all the creativity and thought that went into each one. But I am curious about one. Wasn’t there one you guys picked up from the post office that had a ticking clock inside the box? What became of that had?

9. Mary Pickens says:

I am particularly drawn to these hats for recognition. I remember enjoying the posting of Daniel wearing the flamingo hat😊 It’s good to see it again along with the other delightful creations.

10. Kathryn Paulson says:

made me think…and I was just going to make the hat…..ouch!!! So many talented crocheters. I’ll have to keep my “HooK Up”

11. Sherry says:

I love what you did here! These hats really are amazing! & I love all of your comments & “critiques” of the each of these 5 hats .. they really are stunning & do stand out. Well deserved!
    Congratulations, my fellow hookers! ❤

12. Ann Dennis says:

Such great hats. I was thinking it’s to bad that those of us who made hats couldn’t get judge’s remarks to maybe help us decide how to meet a new challenge, an impossibility with over 300 hats to judge, but this is second best. I will keep your remarks in mind if you do another challenge like this.

13. Claudia says:

This contest is a joke.

• Della Hanna says:

Why is this contest a joke? Is it, you didn’t win, or the fact that so many people are talented and they wanted to recognize a few more? I think maybe you are having a bad day and need to take the saying “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all” to heart!

14. Norma Benz says:

all these entries made amazed me, so unique and beautiful. Congratulations to all for your ingenuity. WOW! Thank you for sharing with us.

15. So cute, I love them all, congrats to the additional winners!

16. emily says:

I have been “Hooking” for over 50 years & was just shocked to see all the beautiful work, so many, many talented people out there. Good for you to award more people they certainly deserve it. I was wondering do the people get back the hats they sent in? I doubt I could have done as good as some of them. Many congrat’s to all of the winners & the ones who were not chosen I am sure if you sent it in, it must be stunning as well…

17. Sheri Goad says:

These are awesome! What a cool idea tucking the story inside the hat with a light!

18. Lori Johnson says:

Wonderful choices congrats to the makers 🙂

• Maureen says:

BRAVO everyone! Thank you for sharing your imaginations and talents with us. I have been getting so much pleasure from looking over all the submissions. Thank you all!