Good Golly Miss Mollie… What Did You Do?

Mikey, Mollie Makes Magazine

Mollie Makes USA Magazine, Premier Edition

If you subscribe to Crochet Today Magazine, you will notice the magazine in your mailbox doesn’t say Crochet Today… it’s says Mollie Makes. I got wind of this change last week when a fan announced that the Crochet Today Magazine was finished. I actually didn’t believe it. I was going to reach out to my contacts to find out to see if it’s a rumour but I figured I would wait and see instead.

Sure enough, at the post office was my new Mollie Makes Magazine. I guess the rumour is true.

Mollie Makes is a general magazine designed to touch on a bit of everything. So to answer your question, it’s no longer an edition just for crocheters. I do like the four words on the top though, “Making, Thrifting, Collecting and Crafting”. Those four words speak to me as a person. I do all four.

What I am impressed with is that Future Publishing decided to give everyone who subscribes to Crochet Today Magazine editions of Mollies Makes to fulfill the subscription term. That was nice of them instead of us no longer getting anything.

I was taking a look at the Mollie Makes USA Website and I have to say I am really impressed by it. It’s clean and easy to use. They are just getting started so we will get to see the launch of this entire website platform.

If you visit the Mollie Makes Original Magazine, based out of the UK, you will find a well stocked website just screaming with inspiration.

Terminology Changes

In the USA version of Mollie Makes, you don’t need to worry as the patterns have the North American terminology that we are used to. The Original Mollie Makes based out of the UK has terminology that is slightly different.

You may be thinking, “Mikey are you upset that Crochet Today Magazine is gone?” Truthfully, not really. Change is necessary for new things to occur. We cannot cry over what has been taken away but instead we have to adapt.

You may love this magazine while others may pass. The choice is yours to make. I wish Mollie Makes USA a successful launch here in North America.

… BUT two questions that struck me the most in this new edition was plain & simple.

“Who in their right mind keeps a crafting room looking so clean and organized?” Certainly not me! I’m a craft hoarder and get so creative I pull things out with the intention to return them but never do. By the end of the month, I have cow paths leading to my stations! I’m a wreck!

My second question was this… “Who is Mollie?” I’ve googled it but coming up empty handed. If you know the answer, leave me a comment below as I am dying to know!

This entry was posted in Announcements, Product & Service Reviews and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Good Golly Miss Mollie… What Did You Do?

1. kelly says:

I really like mollie makes but have been buying issues of simply crochet when I can. It’s pricey, but with any luck it will come here too. I also really love inside crochet which is another British mag. I will miss crochet today, but I have my British mags to keep me warm. 🙂

2. Tara says:

I wanted a crochet magazine. Didn’t like it, at all. Got a refund.

3. I do not like the Molly Makes USA. I want more CROCHET. I dislike the very FEW patterns. There seem to be more advertisements or for purchase patterns. I will cancel too

4. Pam Hoots says:

I had just found Crochet Today and was looking forward to the next issue. I do a little quilting and I crochet a lot. I do not want or need a magazine that is a jumble of a lot of things. I’m looking for crochet only! I will not be buying Mollie Makes.

5. Rhonda Nicholas says:

I for one, am extremely disappointed in this change. I nearly always found inspiration in Crochet Today, but hated everything I saw in the Mollie Makes I just received. Maybe I am just old fashioned, but it all seemed garish and tacky to me. Plus, I subscribed to a CROCHET magazine because I love to CROCHET! I am not the least bit interested in all that other stuff. This is a huge disappointment to me.

6. delila says:

I looked at it and it looks pretty good. Is there another “craft” magazine that you think is better?

7. Sandi says:

Good Morning Mikey & Dan,
    If Mollie Makes is available, I will check it out @ Joann’s. I do NOT buy yarn from Joann’s anymore. The employees there are so rude. The yarn section is in array. Yarn is not neatly stacked & was extremely dusty. I have allergies & this was not a good idea to go there. I sat in my Jeep 15min. sneezing & coughing, before I could drive back home.
    My opinion: Crochet Today was my favorite, now I’m sad again!
    Waiting to read your inspirations for a Tuesday.
    Have a beautiful day & enjoy.
    By the way, how’s the frogs in your beautiful back yard. We all need to see more videos of your yard, please & thank you much:-)
    Hugs to you both,
    Sandi

8. Donald R. McClarey says:

I had planned to let my Crochet Today subscription lapse without renewing before I heard about it being replaced with a US edition of Mollie Makes, because it seemed that Crochet Today was essentially a Red Heart house organ. (Nothing wrong with Red Heart yarns — but I like other brands of yarn too!) Haven’t yet seen the US Mollie Makes in my mailbox (the newsstands have the UK edition, but not the US version yet). I’ve got the calendar from the UK edition’s January issue hanging in my craft room. I probably would prefer a crochet-specific title (and have recently started subscriptions to Crochet World and Crochet 1-2-3), but am willing to give the US edition of Mollie Makes a try, at least for the first issue.

9. Dawn says:

Here in the Uk there is MM but the same company also produce a magazine called ‘Simply Crochet’ while I love MM my budget has been reduced so I have canceled this subscription and continued with SC it’s totally fab. I hope you will get the opportunity of this in the USA xx