With A Click of a Button, My History is Non-Existent

Crochet Crowd Challenge Overview

Mikey, The Crochet Crowd

I have the look for tragedy at this moment. I have went to go look for some old files to use but they are gone.

I’ve been keeping an archive for 12 years of my photos. They have been backed up to avoid deletion. For whatever reason, the backups are missing the folders holding all of my pictures. I have swept through my system and everything is gone.

I’m in the digital age where I rarely print a photo. My history, in the sense of being 26 – 38 has been erased.

I’ve had so many computer difficulties with my MAC this spring. Constantly running out of space forcing me to delete things I need. Apparently, I must have selected my archive as a space to delete. I cannot believe I have done that. My time machine back up has been malfunctioning.

I did computer upgrades 2 weeks ago… I must have accidentally screwed up something.

I’m almost numb with disbelief. My history is practically erased. The only saving grace is having some of the few photos on Facebook that were posted over the years.

I guess I cannot look back… well now I really can’t as there are no photos or videos. Most of Daniel and I’s photographic history is gone as well.

I will get over it but it is always nice to look back from time to time to see your path. Now all I have is my memories. I’m now 40 and I can barely remember my childhood. I cannot live in the past and refuse to… I can only look forward. I say that easily now but it will take a few days before I settle down over this issue.

This entry was posted in General Life With Mikey & Diva Dan and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to With A Click of a Button, My History is Non-Existent

1. itsauntied says:

You know what I’ve found? Often my digital pix lose resolution over time, and when they are printed out they fade. I don”t know of any solution to this,

2. Maria Torres says:

Hi Mikey, I’ve read a lot of the comments and they seem to be in the opinion as I. Don’t give up you may be able to find your history. It’s worth a shot. It’s just hard knowing when you’re trying to find something and then can’t, you get caught up in the emotion of it. Step back take a breath, and let a computer expert handle this and as a precaution, get a few external drives to make sure you got everything backed up. Good luck!

3. I have a mac and thought I did the same thing a while back. All my pictures were still there. Take it to Apple and have them find them for you. My son works for them and it didn’t take long to retrieve them. I doubt they are really gone.

4. Unless you reformat your hard drive with a super duper wipe program, your photos are not gone, you just can’t find them. Call your local computer tech center, they will help. It might cost some $$, but it will be well worth it. Oh, and get rid of the Mac and get a PC please! 😉

5. Kathryn Paulson says:

some say…it is not gone….it’s in there somewhere. I’d call a tech guy who’s really into this and see if he can’t find them for you
    If there’s one thing I learned in computers 101 … it’s in there.

6. Ann Dennis says:

Good luck Mikey, I’m sure that everyone that says take it to a computer person is correct. I’m not so sure about the external hard drive I’ve lost stuff on them as well but maybe if you have good support that would be a life saver too.

7. Shirley Laderoute says:

I did this exact thing last year. My computer wiz came in and for 40dollars got it all back for me…I now have external hard drives and flash drives at the ready! Seriously worth calling someone 🙂

8. Kathlyn says:

*hugs* cos you sound like you need them at the mo!

9. Leslie Hammer says:

Mikey, anything that was in your computer is still there. It’s just hiding. A computer guru can find it. Don’t give up hope! Just find a computer recover person!

Love you. ❤

10. Pat Doyle says:

I’m soooo sorry this has happened, but…as so many have said…there IS help, people can retrieve deleted stuff (just ask the Feds, watch NCIS, etc.) Someone can help you!!!

11. Sandi says:

Good Tuesday Morning,
    Mikey, I think there is help for you & Dan,
    Please, please, please contact: Jon@comphelpusa.com
    We highly recommend his professional computer services. We have known him 10+yrs. My husband & him use to be disc jockeys together back in the ’60’s.
    If a computer is in need of services, this is the man to call. When you contact him, mention The David Bowers.
    I seriously believe he can help you both find files on your hard drive.
    I will wait to receive reply from you.
    Both of you, cheer up & have a good day,
    Hugs,
    Sandi

12. mysskk says:

at the end of every year, I burn all my pics from that year onto a cd(s), label it and it’s never lost and frees up space on my computer. Do this from now on Mikey. So sorry you lost all those precious pics!

13. eldonnar says:

Mikey, I found this on Youtube. Might be worth a try:

It is a video that shows how to retrieve deleted data on a Mac.
    Good Luck!
    Eldonna

14. Squinn says:

Mikey, you need an external hard drive. We have 2 one for our pictures etc.

15. Holly Core says:

So sorry Mikey, I had something similar happen to me. I was heart broken lost pictures of my children, my twins early years. Then a friend told me that he had the ability to retrieve photos that I had lost. Take it to a computer guru. There is a program that was downloaded by this friend and he got most of my pictures back. All was not lost. Then he put them on 7 CDs. Maybe you can get them back too. I am praying you can. Check in to it. It surely can’t hurt. Wish you the best.

16. Debbie Smith says:

I lost many pictures stuff I made it is very frustrating, but then I had remembered I bought a hard drive just for all tags pictures videos and my arts craft stuff. I make soy candles and I was so afraid I list them. I love you all I can follow you tutorials, it’s a blessing. Sorry for any you have lost. Deb Sent from my new I pad

17. Bill & Rose says:

Mikey,  I would strongly suggest you use an external hard drive to back up things like pictures, etc. that are way too precious to lose.  I am so sorry this nightmare occurred to you.

There might be a computer geek that could find your “lost” files.  I pray that is so!!     Rose <

We must learn to see our circumstances through God's love and not God's love through our circumstances.

18. Fran Butler says:

I have an external hard drive, too. I am a little anal so I have CDs (labeled, of course), and flash drives. I haven’t done the cloud storage yet because am not sure if I trust the privacy or what happens if the clouds disappear?? Still need the external hard drive. As I said I am a little anal, and if I had all the history you had, I’d be putting on the flash drives and putting in safety deposit boxes, too. LOL. So sorry for what happened. Some people say that nothing is ever truly lost. Maybe a computer guru can find what you have “lost.?”

19. Lisa Vicente says:

How very sad!! I know by looking back at old photos of my family this must be very painful. It makes me feel like I am revisting a special place in time when I do that. There must be a way in this day and age to get them back. They say once it is in a file there’s someway to find it. Even if you think you have erased it forever!! With all your friends I would do some asking around about it. I’m not very technology savvy at all!! To old for that stuff!! Good luck!!! Lisa

Sent from my iPhone

20. CJ says:

You have a lot of very good IT people on this group that maybe could help. Hope one or two of them offers to do that.

21. Mary Pickens says:

It would take me a few days to adjust to that, too. However, things happen for a reason and life, especially challenges, can become more interesting (palatable) when one searches for the answer to why something happened. Searching for the answers is part of this school yard here on earth. Something to contemplate while crocheting 😊 or listening to Dan’s beautiful music.

22. Nancy G says:

How about the cloud, or drop box, do you have anything with the cloud where it might have accidently gotten in to it? Sorry to hear that, I usually put mine on CDs by the year.

23. Marcela says:

Im so sorry! Because your lost is our lost too 😥 but is technology!! Something good can happen

24. Linda Keller says:

I had an external hard drive as well as my computer and both died at the same time. I luckily also back up my pictures and documents to flash drives so was able to save almost everything. DO check with a computer company or IT person before you add too much new to your computer. They can probably backtrack and retrieve some of the info. It might cost but it would be worth it to still have the memories.

25. If you don’t have an external hard drive, you really need one with all the media stuff you do. You can save all your videos/pictures, etc to that so your computer space doesn’t get eaten up. I know this is a stupid question, but did you check your TRASH folder? Also, you can restore your computer to a previous date… that might help. If you know any IT people, ask them. They might be able to help you. Good luck Mikey! I hope you find your files.

26. Anna Larson says:

Sorry You lost all your photos. That’s happened to me before when my computer blew up and completely quit working. I ended up buying an external hard drive and now back up everything to an external drive both at home at at work.