Walkerton & Hanover, Ontario Flood, April 2014 with Pictures

Flood of Hanover and Walkerton Ontario

Hanover Ontario Flood. April 2014

Flood in Hanover

April 2014, Hanover Park Flooded. River is supposed to be at the tree line in the far distance.

In April 2014, Walkerton and Hanover Ontario experienced flooding along the Saugeen River. I’m not a weather man but I will say this was one of the worst winters for snowfall I have seen in years. I was expecting this flooding as there was no melting occurring throughout the winter.

The Town of Walkerton is the home of The Crochet Crowd.

The Town of Walkerton Flooded many years ago and levy’s were created to protect the town from being over taken by the river. While the levy held up, it didn’t stop the water for finding it’s way through the ground to seep up within the town.

Flooding in Walkerton

Town of Walkerton, Flooding 2014

Water started popping up on the roadways and basements near the river. Many roads were closed and you can see hoses coming out of basement windows trying to drain the water.

Businesses and residents are being affected. There are 3 pumps trying to push as much water out as possible. At Andrews Place, the basement was filled to the 4th Step going down. The pumps cannot keep up with the water that is coming in. The water line appears to be matching the river’s height.

Flooding of Walkerton Ontario

Basements Filling Up and Being Drained

The bridge crossing the river to Lobies Park and north end of Walkerton has the water line hitting the bottom of the bridge. Lobies park was completely submerged.

Flood in Walkerton, Ontario

Business and Residents Flooded by the Saugeen River. April 2014

Flooding of Walkerton.

Lobies Park, Flooded in Walkerton, Ontario.

Walkerton, Ontario

Lobies Park Flooded, April 2014. Walkerton, Ontario

Walkerton Ontario Flood

Walkerton Dam. Flooded in April 2014

Flooding in Walkerton Ontario

Flooding April 2014, Walkerton, Ontario

At this time, we have to wait for the river to crest and start going down. Unfortunately, there are going to be a lot of damages caused by this flood. Hopefully the town can rally together to assist residents affected by this.

While Diva Dan and I are not directly affected by this. I cannot say the same thing for the good residents of Walkerton Ontario who live near the river. Our thoughts are with them at this time.

This entry was posted in General Life With Mikey & Diva Dan and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Walkerton & Hanover, Ontario Flood, April 2014 with Pictures

1. Frank says:

Hi Kevin I agree with your last point. However, it is just a fact that the grading you refer to is very often regarded as and communicated as a lesson observation grade

2. I grew up in MoFo, also home to the mighty Saugeen. Looks like a challenging spring in that area to say the least. Take care.

3. Collene says:

Wow! Hope the damage isn’t too bad! Prayers sent that
    Water receeds quickly. I wish we could take some of that water here. I live in the California desert and we are in need of rain or snow..Best wishes to all.

4. Kathryn Paulson says:

keeping you in my prayers

5. chacha says:

2yrs ago my town in MT suffered 2 major floods back to back. we lost 40 homes. last yr we had a major fire & lost 125 bldgs 75 of them homes. we flooded again this yr & are still expecting more floods due to record breaking snowfall. I vol on a long term recovery team to help the survivors rebuild. people are amazing when it comes to pulling together to help others. Prayers are with you.

6. Amanda Nowicka says:

The Uk is in the throws of clearing up after alot of flooding this winter. Our thoughts are with you. You have a lovely community there by the sounds of it, thinking of you Walkerton.

7. Debra57 says:

I’m so sorry this flood has hit your community. You all are in my prayers.

8. Teri Robertson says:

So sorry, Walkerton is a lovely town. I hope it dries out soon.

9. Pat says:

I am so sorry to know that your area has been flooded. Flooding brings the worst kind of damage as it causes mold as well as damage to possessions and landscaping. It takes a long time to recover from something like this. Seems as if this year has been very hard on a lot of places in the northern hemisphere. We, in Pennsylvania broke a record for snowfall and cold that was the worst since the late 1800’s. Our prayers go out to you, Mikey.
    We are glad no one was hurt and hopefully recovery efforts will be swift for anyone that was negatively affected. God Bless.

10. mary jeffery says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

11. Sandy says:

I’m glad to her you and Diva Fan are going to be safe. I hope the water goes down soon and no one got hurt.

12. Bill & Rose says:

i hope you guys are safe and sound!

Bill & Rose <

We must learn to see our circumstances through God's love and not God's love through our circumstances.

13. JCG1224 says:

So glad to know you are safe, but feel awful for those in it’s path. Keeping all our friends in prayer.

14. Letta says:

Mikey I hope you and Dan don’t have to go through much more of this. we in Britain but mostly England had all the destruction a couple of months ago,with the sea taking over the mainland in southern England & Some of the worst hits in Cornwall & Devon. We had too much rain and all the rivers flooded the nearby towns and villages all over the country. Mikey is right we need people to help each other because the Fire brigades & Ambulances are all working flat out. Good Luck

15. Prayers for all who are effected with this flooding. I remember the bad flooding we had in Kankakee, IL in the 50’s when I was a child. So sad for anyone who has to go through one.

16. itsauntied says:

We (Calgary) went through the same thing here early last summer. My immediate neighbourhood was not affected as we are built on elevated land. I’m sure ya’ll remember the photos (similar Mikey’s pix here) near the river, and our need for a quick cleanup for the Stampede..
    Take care, Mikey and Dan. Our thoughts are with you and all the flood victims.

17. Linda says:

Terrible weather! Thoughts and prayers.

18. Ellen says:

Your community is in our prayer. Thank You for sharing. 🙂

19. Carrie Creek says:

So sorry to hear this! Sending prayers for all affected!

20. Julia says:

Thoughts are with you and everyone affected! Big hugs and positive thoughts!

21. Leslie Hammer says:

I’m sorry, sweetheart. Scary for sure! 😦

22. Susan says:

I am so sorry about your town, Mikey. There are flood watches here in Maine, too, but I am not affected. They are just so destructive, and they can happen any where.