Crocheters Have Gone Mad… April 20th Reveal & Creativ Festival

The Crochet Crowd Madhatter Contest

The Crochet Crowd Mad Hatter Contest, Alice talking with the Caterpillar. “Who R U” he says, while smoking on his pipe.

Does this gob smack you?

On January 1st, 2014, we launched the Mad Hatter Contest. Crocheters from around the globe were given a mission to use a top hat pattern by Red Heart Yarns. Everyone had to complete the basic top hat. Once the top hat was done, crocheters were given free reign to tell the story of Alice in Wonderland through crochet. It was open for crocheters to use mixed media and many did.

Daniel and I have been shocked, day after day after day! It has been incredible. The detail and concepts that have been applied to the hats vary so much from hat to hat!

Our entire team will be choosing hats at random to wear during the Creativ Festival Show.

As of April 11th, 2014, hats are still pouring in as the mail service takes time. We are launching the entire collection of photographs on April 20th, 2014 for you all to see.

Many crocheters took elements from the book, movies and even cartoon edition of Alice in Wonderland to share elements of the story. Some hats tell a specific theme while many of the hats tell elements from various parts of the story. Some hats are focused on one or two characters.

Each and every hat is incredible. We know that everyone pushed themselves to go above and beyond. We a lot of Cheshire Cats and each are unique. I need to crochet a litter box. There has been a great use of yarn, concepts and shaping applied.

Now if you think this hat is amazing… Wait until you see the entire collection at Creativ Festival on April 25 – 26th, 2014. You will be floored. I strongly encourage you to bring a camera because the creativity from our entire collection is second to none! This will be the only time the entire collection will be on display.

Currently, we have approximately 330 hats! Our challenge is to present the hats at Creativ Festival so everyone can see the details and artwork that each of the contributors have put into the hat.

Hats will be available for purchase at Creativ Festival. Every penny is going to build The Crochet Crowd Scholarship Fund. We are awarding post secondary students with scholarships. Scholarships will be awarded in October 2014 at the Creativ Festival Show. We are believers of community and education.

We reached out to Schachenmayr and James C Brett to show them examples of what has come in. Without flinching, they immediately offered 10 runner up prizes of $50 of a yarn sampler due to the concepts and crafts-person ship. We have had men and women compete for this.

While at the show, the best hats will be pull aside, as decided by a Creativ Festival Judging Panel at the Creativ Festival Guests will be voting on their favourite. The top 5 will each receive $500 in prizes from Red Heart Yarns, Creativ Festival and The Crochet Crowd. Due to Daniel and I recognizing the names, we are staying out of the judging completely to not bias the judges pre-selections.

We are all winners for helping students to afford education. That was the primary mission here. What you will see will stun you! I can guarantee that!

This entry was posted in Announcements, Crafting Shows, Crochet Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Crocheters Have Gone Mad… April 20th Reveal & Creativ Festival

1. Marilyn Parke says:

Thank you for the energy, exuberance, education and excitement you give so willingly to us all. Your selfless caring is something contagious enough to want a person to pass it forward. You should be very proud of the person you are.

2. Deb says:

Will there be an online auction component?

3. Angie Hefner says:

With so many that have entered I know I don’t stand a chance….but that’s okay it was fun to do.

4. Terry says:

We Treasure Hunting Divas Red Hatters are having an “Unbirthday Party” next Saturday! We will be having a tea party and singing “The Unbirthday Song!”

5. Sharon says:

I made two hats but didn’t have any idea how to make the figures until your mystery animal. Now have made a mouse but its too big. I didn’t send my hats in. Was thinking to send just so they can earn some dollars for your cause. But my mouse is huge and I am having such a time with his arms & feet. Now down to one foot left. Challenged my comfort zone, happily. Practice and hope to conquer. This one is totally awesome! Can’t wait to see all.

6. Cathy says:

I had so much fun working on this project. I hope y’all do it again next year. However, if the turn-out is equal to or greater than this year you’re going to need to employ more folks to juggle the load:) Amazing; simply amazing.

7. Susan Jurica says:

I know that video is difficult in this situation, but a video of the hats and tree would be wonderful!! I can’t wait to see them all on the tree together.

8. That hat sample you shared is awesome, I love that scene from the movie. The Blue Caterpillar is one of my favorite characters. I can’t wait to see any other entries you share.

9. I can only imagine how you feel…..receiving 330 hats when you expected only 50. I am so excited and can’t wait to see all the creativity! I, myself, only entered because I wanted a college education so badly I joined the Armed Forces to get it. It was the best decision of my life. I still do not have my education, but the experience I gained from serving in the US Army was humbling, worth it and gave me a lifetime experience I will never forget. You might say it was my destiny. I do, however, feel every child who wants an education should have the opportunity to obtain it- and should not have to join the military to get it. All three of my children are in college, something I am very proud of. Education is a very valuable thing to have. If I was healthy enough to attend classes, I would be getting my degree. Apparently, it wasn’t meant to be for me to have one, but if crocheting a hat to be auctioned off and the proceeds are enough to buy even a notebook for a child in school, I’m thrilled! Thank you so very much for giving us the opportunity to participate.

• Terrie Lynn Gelman says:

Thank YOU for your being of service to our country. And…..Thank YOU for being a warm heart willing to give of yourself so others may get their education. God bless you, ma’am. ~~terrie lynn

• smamalot says:

This is seriously the sweetest thing! I thought I did pretty decent on my hat until I saw the two already & the turn out!! haha. Really though, I also made my hat because I wanted to contribute to a good cause!!! Your story really warms my heart though. Thank you!

• K Newton says:

You may want to look into getting a degree online. Classes are very fulfilling, you meet online friends from all over, and you have the satisfaction of reaching a personal goal. God bless, and thanks for your service in the military.

10. cathyhenry says:

Oh I can’t wait to see them all!

11. Marsha Lipsius says:

It is a HUGE job to organize your booth, without the added job of the hats. I’ve been watching the “tree” grow and can’t wait to see it at the show. You and Dan have done a wonderful job and to create the scholarship is an inspired way to give back to the community. “Hats” off to the both of you!!!

12. Sarah Schwartz says:

Will you be posting a link with the pictures of the hats? No hurry, I just want to be inspired. 🙂