Are Canadian and USA Crocheters Different from the Rest of the World?

Mikey,

Mikey, The Crochet Crowd

Have you ever noticed that pictures posted by others of their finished works tell the story in where they live? I may be stereotyping a bit but in the latest contest of the Mad Hatters, you can almost tell without reading the address from where it’s coming from.

If you have ever noticed on Facebook, many crocheters that are not from Canada or the USA complain about the lack of being able to get their hands on the yarns we have hear in North America. Primarily, the complaints usually refer to colour and definitely the thickness of the yarn.

I was pondering last night about the difference of the cultures. It appears to me that people outside of Canada / USA produce more intricate and detailed projects. I think it stems from the concept for the availability of yarn.

While here in Canada / USA due to the yarns being more bulky. We have the ability to whip off projects one after another. I’m guilty for this… speed of getting things done is important to me. I get bored of a project if it is taking too long. Meanwhile, when I see something intricate, I know I could do it but I think I would fight with myself to not get bored and plow through it. That may be a society difference within itself as well.

So it leads me to start a debate:

1. Is speed important to you when crocheting?
  2. Do thinner yarns interest you?
  3. How elaborate do you like your projects to be?

There’s no wrong answers… I just think it’s a fascinating topic. Leave me your thoughts in the comments below.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Are Canadian and USA Crocheters Different from the Rest of the World?

1. edna says:

I make baby cloths and small things/ I don’t like working with yarn that makes my hands hurt from pulling it though the loops.

2. Karla Mathis Bostic says:

I agree totally Mikey. We tend to take things for granted as we have ample supply of what we want. I could care less on the time of a project I am doing. I do like the thinner yarns as they make the work softer. As for intricate. I happen to think that is one of those things that you do when you are making something you know will be important to the person you are making it for. For example. I have a new grandson. Making the many baby afghans for him to snuggle in his first year, I spent a lot of time making patterns that were different. I also used thread to crochet a christening gown and sweater which took well over a month to get finished because I hope it will be handed down for a few generations.

• Lorraine says:

That’s lovely. I’m happy as long as I have a project to be getting on with. Also if something is worth doing, it’s worth doing properly, so time doesn’t come into it.

3. anasudy says:

Of course there are differences among cultures as well as availability of yarns. Here in Chile we have a really huge variety of yarns, cottons, linens and so on. From sheep, alpaca, llama and among them, different types. Once a year a big showroom is held but the whole year we have a lot of stores to buy almost whatever we look for. There are some streets specially dedicated to it and they have a wide range of prices, going from pure wool to synthetic, rustic or very refined, national or imported.
    I am 56 and I have been knitting and crocheting since I was 4… a long time I have been an addicted… I recognize it. Last year I also gave classes to some friends and I am the “master” among them.
    The main difference is referred to the way in which the patterns for crochet are described. We are used to diagrams and that is why mos of the times I read/watch the instructions/video and sketch the diagram for my use. Now I know better the differences and your videos have been very valuable for me. You are so clear to explain and teach. Thanks for that. I wish I woul have more time to crochet but in 4 years I’ll be retired!!! and maybe I would collect the money to go in one of your cruises. In the meantime, I crochet at night when I get back from the job, besides the sea, in the physician waiting room, everywhere.
    Speed is important but in the sense I want to see the piece finished, because I have at least 4 pieces doing at the same time.
    As a summary, crocheting (and art/crafts in general) is like an universal language.
    I have many pictures of my pieces, but I am not sure how to share them with you. Do I have to label them with crochetcrowd in FB?
    Ana

4. Lori Johnson says:

speed not a factor for me. Yarns love them all and like mixing them if I can, Mad Hatter was one I did just that 🙂 Thru you I have learned I can do more then blankets and I’m trying all different kinds of projects some very complex some so easy I should have tried years ago lol! Loving my new found freedom in crocheting!!

5. I like thinner yarns. I am not speedy unless knitting a blanket. I like doilies. Years ago I crocheted fashion doll items for my niece for Christmas not knowing how “hard” it is to crochet. I just love the look of the thread crochet.

6. jean russell says:

first time replying to one of these! speed only matters on the mood i’m in if i know right off that the pattern is going to take some time to do it and my mood is not going to handle it i will put it off until i know that i have enough patience to finish it and then contrarily i will start a pattern that i know will take some time to do if i know that i will have a lot off time with no interruptions i recently saw some yarns from around the world and noticed the differences in the yarn how wool was the largest part of the yarn not the blends that we have here

7. Jennifer Taylor says:

Hi From the Land-Down-Under!!! I have great difficulty trying to work out the PLY of the yarn used in American Patterns – worked out the stitches years ago, so my brain recognizes American Crochet Speak and instantly converts, so no worries there!
    I love patterns that are different and unusual – I don’t mind how long they take as long as the time put in is worth the finished result. That being said, I do enjoy quick projects that you can whip up, throw over the shoulder and start the next one 🙂
    I have worked in very fine crochet cotton (#100) right up to 12 ply wool. I spin my own wool, and have taught others to spin as well (although the four wardrobes of un-spun wool are a bit guilt making lol – at least the cupboards are well insulated!
    I am only relatively new to your Blog Mikey, but I have enjoyed being part of it all – Thanks xx
    Really looking forward to the “Mystery Crochet” project 🙂
    CROCHET AROUND THE WORLD!!!

8. sara olga gagliardi c. says:

Hi Michael !!! I am south american from far, far away……from Uruguay and there is not the beautiful yarns that there is in EE.UU. generally it comes from Brasil and Mexico. I like the proyects quick, but definitively I cannot to be quick than Michael!!!

9. Anna Larson says:

Well I’m in the US, but I like all kinds of crochet projects. I have both worster weight and thicker yarns as well as thin cotton threads. I’ve been making crochet earrings with the thread, but have been looking for other projects in thread. One of the trouble I have with the thread however is eyesight. Its harder to see the stitches than with thicker yarns. So I look for easier patterns in thread.

10. Karen says:

Speed is not a factor when I start a project..it is a relaxation thing for me! Using the thinner yarns, like for doily making,sure does allow a more intricate design and the results are to be proud of. You are right in saying that we don’t have so many choices here in the US for those lovely yarns they have in other countries. My friend is from SA and lived in the UK for many years and has a drawer full of gorgeous yarns I would love! Thanx for sharing! K

11. Thersia says:

I am from South Africa. My answers are-
    1. Yes, speed is important, I get bored working on one project too long. I learned in art working on more than one project at the same time, keeps the creative juices flowing. When I loose interest in one project I go on to another, and then come back to the first one later. It works for me.
    2. No, but I do use yarns that are availeble and also affordable. I’ve tried to use double yarn strings in some projects, and I liked the results.
    3. I like variety, new patterns and different stitches. I crochet and knit, amigurumi, scarves, coasters, cardigans, and more. I still want to do an afgan though! 🙂

12. Fran Butler says:

As I get older I like the thicker yarns. I love the thinner yarns and the beautiful intricate patterns you can create with them. However, at 65 my eyesight is not as good as it once was so I pass on those yarns and projects. I get so many requests now for afghans, scarves, hats, baby items, that quick is always good. I think I have “to do” WIP to fill up the next 5 years but still keep finding new things to do – and once in a while something for me, too. You have rekindled my creative side with your recent challenges and am starting to create some of my own patterns. Thank you for that and for making me realize there is no age limit on creativity. Just because I can’t do the intricate projects now, there are so many yarns and colors out there. There is no limit or boundaries on creativity! I need a new T-Shirt that says “so many yarns….not enough time”

13. I like worsted weight yarn to work with because of the testure yyou can get from it, not flat like knitting.I like quick projects. Especially easy things like hats so I can multi-task while crocheting,I work at home and I do most of it while talking on the phone using the computer and interviewing people, or canvassing. I’ve noticed on some website that are Uk or European that they talk about wpi(wraps per inch) for yarn thickness instead of 4 ply and 8 ply because here in Canada you can get a worsted weight yarn like Red Heart comfort classed as a #4 and Red Heart soft or Bernat satin also classed as a #4 but they are more like a sport weight,compared to the Red Heart Comfort. I have no patience for fine yarns like baby layettes,My grandmother made lace by hand and did tatting which I knew at 8 yrs of age I would never,ever have the desire to do or learn . My knitting is very slow, dishcloth and scarves. Not coordinated enough to knit, I hold the one needle braced under my left armpit

14. Sandy Quinn says:

I love patterns wheather quick, easy, hard, i like all grains of yarn but it has to be right to the pattern instructions.

15. Mary says:

I love the intricate lacey projects but if I have a rough day I like the bulky fast projects to Zen out.

16. I love quick and easy projects, but there are times when I want more complicated projects, but I want a challenge. I get bored if the projects are too easy. However, I have been crocheting for several years. I do find knitting to be challenging in that I am a slow knitter, and it takes me forever to complete a small project. I tend to lose interest, frog it, and start a crochet project instead. LOL!

17. Diane says:

As an American who moved to New Zealand some years ago, I do miss the abundance of thicker, more varied coloured and less expensive yarns that I had access to stateside. And the cost of shipping to the ‘bottom of the world’ is a major factor, especially when you have to take it into consideration when figuring out whether you’re over the allowed amount for no duty tax.

That said, if a project isn’t “interesting” (doesn’t have to be intricate, necessarily), I get bored if it takes too long…I like projects that allow me to ‘zen out’, and short motifs/small projects just don’t have that.

Being “around” other crocheters, albeit mostly only via the internet has made me stretch my skills and ability, and has challenged me to attempt projects I would never have considered previously, altho’ I do admit to craving working on an afghan/blanket/throw when I’ve done a lot of other types of projects.

18. k says:

I am in Australia, and crochet with hooks from .5mm to 12mm using everything from crochet cotton thread to 12ply. It all depends upon the project I have chosen to do. I design my own patterns as well as use advertised patterns.I have no problems with obtaining bulky yarns, or any yarn for that matter.

When I need wool I venture to woollen mills or purchase from local speciality wool shops as I prefer to use pure wool. My friend and I take a shopping lost to purchase all of our wool at once, we have been known to stay in the mills for hours selecting our yarns for various projects. We go at least twice a year. I have been known to order rowan yarns from England for something different, but on the whole prefer Australian yarns. I tend to purchase my crochet threads from a craft shop.

• k says:

As for WIP, several…
      -an 8ply blanket on the go (using a bulky stitch to make a thick project).
      -lace using a .75mm hook and crochet thread, just finished designing the pattern.
      -12ply Tunisian crochet wrap
      – 8ply Tunisian crochet jumper
      -lace using .5mm book and crochet thread, can’t decide on edging so will sit on it for a while

It gets a little hot here to crochet over summer, so all these projects are now back on the boil, and should be finished within the next 3months.

I find 12ply blankets, unless completed using an open stitch, tend to be a little too warm. I mainly use bulky yarns for wraps or vests or shrugs

As.for speed, I crocheted a top in2ply in 3days as I wanted to wear it for Christmas day. It does depend upon the project and the level of concentration required as I have small children and prefer to do crochet projects that I do not have to ‘think’ about when they are awake and leave the finer or more detailed projects for when they are asleep. Hence, I have varying WIP.

• Laurie Weiner says:

I like to vary my project as both in how detailed the pattern is as well as the yarn used. When I work on a lengthy project I also do some quicker projects at the same time which keeps me from getting bored