How to LINK Double Crochet

To shake things up a bit… I’m going to do my first ever pictorial tutorial. The video is posted at the bottom. I know due to bandwidth that videos aren’t always ideal. In today’s blog, I’m going to show it to you in both methods… Pictorial and Video.

Double Link Crochet, as per Red Heart Yarns, is completed by doing the following.

Ldc -Insert hook in center (horizontal) bar of the last st
(or the 2nd ch of beginning ch-3) and draw up a loop (2
loops on hook); insert hook in next st and draw up a loop
(3 loops on hook); [yarn over and draw through 2 loops on
hook] twice.

An example of a pattern for this is the Heart & Sole Crochet Socks.

You would complete this type of stitch when you don’t want the stitches to appear sparse between the posts. It locks stitches together on the top and bottom as usual BUT also locks them together in the middle as well. It provides a more solid look to your finished project.

This is how you start a new row and/or begin from a chain.

How to Link Double Crochet

To begin either on Chain or new row. If new row, automatically chain 3.

LINK Double Crochet

Begin by inserting your hook into the 2nd chain from the hook.

LINK Double Crochet Pictorial

Yarn Over and pull through the chain and hold onto your hook.

Linke Double Crochet Tutorial

Insert your hook into the stitch where the chain started from if doing a new row. If you are starting from scratch from just working on a chain, insert your hook into the next chain.

MIkey demonstrating LINK Double Crochet

Yarn over and pull through the stitch (or chain if you are just crocheting on the chain) leaving 3 loops on the hook.

Mikey demonstrating LINK Double Crochet

Finish the stitch off like traditional double crochet. Yarn over and pull through 2…

Mikey demonstrating LINK Double Crochet

Yarn over again and pull through 2 remaining loops… leaving 1 Loop on your hook. Stitch is complete.

Now we repeat across the chain and/or row doing the following.

Link Double Crochet Demonstration

There is a horizontal bar that is in the middle of the last stitch. It is directly in the middle. In this picture you can see it. It’s directly between my thumbs. The way you pull on your hook makes the world of difference of identifying it.

Link Double Crochet

Insert your hook behind the horizontal bar.

Link Double Crochet

Yarn Over and pull through the loop (horizontal bar).

Mikey, Learn to Link Double Crochet

There will be two loops on your hook.

Learn to Crochet

Insert your hook into the next stitch (or chain if just starting out). Yarn Over and pull through stitch.

Learn to Link Double Crochet

You have three loops on you hook. Finish the stitch by yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Yarn over again and pull through 2 remaining loops. Stitch is complete.

Are these types of articles helpful to you? I would love your feedback! Leave a comment below.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, Tutorial Videos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to How to LINK Double Crochet

1. lynnr40 says:

Picture tutorials are very helpful although they are time consuming for the one that is putting it all together. Where do you find the time to do every thing you do for us ?? It’s greatly appreciated !!

2. Sue says:

I like both ways.. sometimes the pictures get confusing & the video helps to clarify it for me. Keep up the great work, Mikey. I’m learning alot from you!!

3. Granny Squares of Love says:

Congrats and thank you for sharing!

4. Jenny says:

That was the first video tutorial I have ever watched!!!! I loved it!!!! And then I would use the pictures as reference 🙂

5. I’ve used this same technique with half DC and even triple crochet stitches. Works great!

6. I use this connected DC a LOT. I make purses and use it for the bottom of the purse so it is a more solid piece. I makes a nice pattern and a thick, solid fabric.

7. Leslie says:

I couldn’t tell from the pictures exactly where the horizontal stitch was.

8. Kathleen says:

I prefer to look at picture tutorials first. Then I will look for videos only if I can’t figure it out. I find most of the good videos are too slow moving, because I have been crocheting for 40 years and I don’t need all the details, just need to see someone doing it if I need clarification. Unfortunately, there are very few good picture tutorials anymore. I usually can only find videos for new things. Thanks very much for the tutorial. Please make more!

• shangran says:

I understand what you are saying Kathleen, but not everyone has been crocheting as long as we have, and since I taught myself over 40 years ago, by trial and error, I appreciate the effort to teach “newbies” at their own pace so they don’t throw their hands up in frustration and quit trying to learn this art. 🙂

9. Evelyn N says:

LOVE IT!!! I have always been irritated by the gaps of double/triple crochet, etc. This is a great fix!!! Please keep these things/ideas/tips/etc coming. I’m a novice, so I need all the help I can get!!!

10. itsauntied says:

I think I will incorporate this stitch into the next top i make. I’ve always used sc, so that the top is not “see through”

11. dixie's girl says:

Like Debi, I too thought LDC was Long Double Crochet. The video is much easier to understand so please don’t do away with them.

12. I know something is wrong with me because I can never “get” a concept from looking at still pictures. I need to see the action, as I do in your videos, Mikey. Please keep making videos – it’s my best way to learn new techniques! Thank you.

13. Debi Shipman says:

Hmm… guess I’m going to have to start reading patterns more carefully. I always thought “LDC” stood for “long” double crochet. Your picture tutorial is very nice, I didn’t even need to watch the video. 🙂

14. Joanne says:

I like it when both the pictorials and the videos are presented together. Sometimes I find I need to pause videos to really see what’s being done where…they pictorials eliminate the need for this. Having both available for really complicated/advanced stitch work is a great idea.

15. Kathy says:

I thought the pictorial instructions were fine. Easy concept and I love it! Thanks for all your great tips and tuts.

16. Anna Larson says:

I watched the video first, but I like the picture tutorial as well because then I dont have to keep the video up and running to refresh my mind as I work. Im definately going to try this stitch soon. Thanks!

• itsauntied says:

I think watching the video, then having the pix as a reminder would be the best way to go about it. I like that the pix are directly from the video. I think that helps the recall process more than another hook and different yarn.

• Nanette says:

I agree with Anna. Instead of having to pause the video I can use the still pictures.

17. Pat says:

I really love the “LDC” video. I have been crocheting over 35 years and have never heard of it. It’s a great way to eliminate that separation between the stitches and I will remember it.
    Thanks Mikey. You did a great job on the video as well. Hey you’re getting good at this!

18. Monica says:

The pictorial instructions were very confusing. I couldn’t make heads or rails out of it. Much prefer the video

19. Teresa Lewis says:

I love the tutorials. I’m a beginner and this is how I’m teaching myself to crochet. Working on the never ending granny square Afghan. My first big project.