What It Feels Like For A Girl

Kristin Omdahl, Crochet Crowd, Shawl

Swanky Yarn Shawl

I must admit, I’m so super jealous over women that wear these sorts of garments. I could wear it but then it defies social acceptance and who needs that extra pressure.

Swanky Yarn is a brand new line to the Red Heart Yarn Collection. When the Red Heart team was telling me about this yarn last year… they were telling me about the sequins. I was thinking conventional sequins and they were like, “Mikey… wait until you see this yarn!”

This is one of those yarns that surprised me A LOT! The sequins are magnificent at being nearly 1/2″ long in a tear drop shape. It was so different than what I had expected. There is a generous amount of sequins within the yarn ball as well. It’s one of those yarns where you don’t need to squint to find the sequins as it’s really obvious without being overkill.

This free pattern is called All the Glamour Shawl by Kristin Omdahl. Fact is, this shawl is currently sitting on my mannequin in my studio. Daniel has dolled up the mannequin to be casual and it looks amazing. I think this is one of those designs where it changes to whatever you are wearing.

Imagine this… Do this pattern with the Sterling Colour of Swanky. Bam… you are ready for a wedding. I’m a huge fan of Kristin’s designs. She’s definitely the queen of making crochet look so interesting and elegant. Even better, it’s affordable. This yarn is about $6.30 per ball and you only need 3. For about $20 you have something really special!

This entry was posted in Red Heart Yarns, Shawls and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What It Feels Like For A Girl

1. maura says:

Patricia’s idea’s a good one! Or make it and wear it at home, until you can move to San Francisco, where it wouldn’t attract any gnarly attention.

2. Patricia says:

So make it on a smaller scale and wear it around your neck. In that form it should be perfectly acceptable and you can smile all day without working at it. Just a thought.

Patricia

3. maura says:

Well, I think you shouldn’t deny yourself! In the right setting, you CAN wear it. It’s not fair that we girls can wear men’s attire and you can’t wear ours! Make one and enjoy wearing, if only for yourself and your partner.

4. inkpattie says:

and you can wear it on the cruises next year, as long as you don’t mind all the “heavy petting” from your fellow cruising crochet crowders!

5. Anna L. says:

I’ll readily admit that I defy Social convention all the time by buying men’s clothing and shoes (ok well technically I’m forced to buy Boys shoes because they are the only ones that fit) but anyway. If I like it i don’t care what social convention says. I do agree with the others. if you like it and want to wear it, then go for it. I only the other hand wouldn’t actually wear something like that because it’s to “Girly” for my tastes. I would make something from the yarn to give to a friend or family member who might like it.

You don’t have to show the whole world, if you want it for in the house or private parties or just hanging out with friends, etc you can still have something like that or something else made from that yarn.

6. Kathlyn says:

I’m also super jealous over women that can wear this kind of stuff….somehow I just look a wreck in it! Certain shapes work with certain styles, and it could starve for a year and still look wrong in this. Pity, cos it looks like fun to make! Oh well, I’ll stick to what I know I can get away with I guess. Rats! Shall we have a party to just wear what we like to and never mind the haters? Hehehe

7. Mikey ,have you heard of Bernat’s Sweety yarns ? I found a pattern that calls for it in teal, mint green,rose,pink,peach and white. It uses a size H hook If not any other ideas on what I might use? It’s for a Lily Pond Afghan in a Better Homes and Garden’s Book circa 1991

Thanks so much Donna Kasulis

8. Terri says:

Mikey, can you do a lesson on this shawl? It is gorgeous, but a little tricky!

9. Brenda B. says:

OMG! This is gorgeous! Mikey just wear it at home or someplace that you & Diva Dan go to where nobody cares what you wear! It’s stunning!

10. Verlinda Rankin says:

Make it, wear it for Diva Dan’s Eyes only…hint…hint

11. Harriet says:

Mikey, just a suggestion, get a western type shirt in a dark color and do a medallion in the yarn for the back in a lighter but contrasting color and to cover the pocket in the front with a smaller medallion, that would be acceptable male attire. I have seen many men in western shirts with sequins and fancy designs and no one looks at them strangely