Drastic Makeover: The Crochet Crowd Deleted 900 Videos from YouTube

Mikey, Crochet Crowd

Michael Sellick – Mikey

Earlier this week, in the effort to better myself, upgrade The Crochet Crowd and meet the demands of our audience, it was time to seriously look at my YouTube Channel and get serious about cleaning out the cob webs, poor videos and videos that have become obsolete.

Social Media Directing is one of the hardest jobs I have ever had. It is constant renewal, constant motion forward, forever changes and revisions in adapting to new things. I love change, for the most part, but as a Social Media Director it means constant looking back to your path to see what needs to be upgraded. The bigger you get, the more of the path behind you to check and revise.

I won’t bore you with new technology changes, internet behaviors and key factors that prompt my daily decisions… but I will say that I needed to do a drastic clean up to survive the future. Yes… as big as The Crochet Crowd is… it can quickly fall into the past by not adapting and changing.

“I prefer to lead the crowd than to follow it.”

Most of the videos deleted were from 2008, 2009, & 2010. In fact, most of the original videos of The Crochet Crowd are now gone. In the beginning just a still camera with a video feature to having no backgrounds to using bed sheets to what it has become today, a lot has changed. While videos were clear about in 2008 and 2009… those same videos have lost their resolution and crisp qualities on YouTube… in essence, they make me look really bad… though I will admit that my quality of videos has drastically improved as well. Our technology has changed majorly 5 times within my 6 year history. We’ve adapted each time YouTube and Facebook have done their makeovers. Their makeovers effect me greatly… when they change so must I. I’ve learned from my errors, have done extensive on-going research to better myself and see to the needs of my audience change and grow.

In the beginning, videos were filmed in 5 – 30 part segments. YouTube limited me to 10 minutes and it was extremely frustrating as you cannot teach large projects and my method of teaching cannot be done in under 10 minutes for the most part. I went a couple years with this limitation. It made for harder learning for my audience but my audience adapted and understood my limitations. They understood and still believed in me. The videos that were deleted will be videos you may not even realize are gone today. Most of them were stastically dead in the water. Their time has come and gone. Even with 60,000 – 100,000 views… their shelf life expired and was sitting in the dusty collections on YouTube taking up valuable storage space at YouTube. If I were paying for storage at YouTube, I would have deleted these videos as I wouldn’t want to pay for storage of videos that are basically done.

In the effort to serve my audience better, I decided to remove out videos that were duplicates, or close to duplication of ideas. I removed out all videos where there were limits on time by YouTube. Over time, I have learned new crochet techniques that made old videos obsolete. While there was 1500 videos in my index, now there is just 600.

While I expect my analytics to fall drastically on view counts each day… I would rather new followers find content that is more relevant and accurate to today’s crocheter. I’ve decided to concentrate my videos onto quality learning videos instead of just having videos that are viewed just a few times a week or rare ever viewed. Over time, I have learned what my audience wants from me. What will work and what to avoid.

It is my hope that my audience understands my decision… it is meant to help us all.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Tutorial Videos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Drastic Makeover: The Crochet Crowd Deleted 900 Videos from YouTube

1. paula says:

Good for you Mikey! your videos are such an important part of Crochet Crowd and updating and keeping up with your audience is a major project – i do have one question about a great video you had about a very colorful afghan on the loom – changing colors every third or fourth peg – do you have any plans to redo this video because i think it was an older one and may have been removed – my loss for waiting so long to start it but it was beautiful and a very unique technique. Keep up the wonderful work into the new future

2. Yvonne says:

Sorry! I misspelled your name, Mikey!

3. Yvonne says:

Hi Mickey!
    I am rather a newcomer to your site and videos, but I enjoy both very much. You seem to be a real person who really cares about what he does and shares. You sound very sincere and apologetic about your decision, but you took the time to explain why it was necessary.
    It gives me a greater appreciation for all that you do, and for what I might just have taken for granted.

When I saw that you had removed 900 videos I knew I had missed out! Yet, if you took the time to revise them, and update them, I knew that was no easy decision or task. So if it was that important to you, I couldn’t help but to get excited about viewing the new and improved versions! they have to be awesome!

I had not had a chance to view most of your previous YouTube videos because I have been too busy crocheting my head off, and any time away from that is always difficult.

However, I would love to get started, and I now have a chance to do so from the beginning, and not have to play catch up later. Now that there are 600 instead of 1500 I am sure I stand a better chance of actually taking the time each day to keep current. And from the videos that I have watched of yours, I know there is much to learn and improve on my own techniques.

However, I am a chronological kind of girl. So is there any way to view your videos in a more or less chronological order, by date, or by basics to advanced, or by stitches, or by patterns, etc.?

I did not intend to take up this much space, but I wanted you to know, even as a newcomer to your site and videos, I am grateful for your dedication and hard work!

4. Pat says:

I def understand why you felt you needed to do this Mikey. It’s something we all have to do once in awhile whether it be house cleaning or getting rid of old clothes etc etc.
    You have to get rid of some of the older things to make way for the new things you are doing or you want to do. You will only get better by doing this and it shows that you care about all of us to WANT to spend so much time doing it. You didn’t get rid of anything that was needed by anyone. You did explain that most were old techniques or duplicates anyway.
    Head up Mikey….we understand and there is no need to explain or apologize for anything
    You are doing. I know in my heart it is all good all the time.
    Thanks again for all the hard work.

5. inkpattie says:

I hope you kept a few oldies from each year so you can compile a “golden oldies” video on your 50th anniversary! You may think you look awful, but when you’re 80, you’ll think you looked mighty fine back then! LOL

6. I’ll still enjoy whatever you post and I am learning quite a bit since joining

7. Debbie says:

I understand the reasons for you doing the purging but I’m kinda upset too. I just found you a couple weeks ago and I’m going back through the older stuff. I’ve not crocheted for over 20 yrs and I’ve took a notion to pick it back up again. I’m kinda rusty and in need of a refresher course. Your videos have really helped me a lot and I’ve even learned some new things. Was it not possible or too much trouble to maybe archive the older stuff? I apologize for the ‘whining’. I understand your intentions are for the better good.

• Most of the old stuff has been redone or was not being viewed at all. OLD meaning new videos have replaced old ones and etc. I was careful but a good cleaning just means for me to get on my game if there is a demand for something that I have erased that needs to come back. Thanks for your understanding.

8. Julie says:

Phew!!! I just went and checked for the Bumble Berry Pie video and it’s still there. What a relief!!!

9. Judy says:

Good for you , I’m sure the new videos will be awesome

10. mandy says:

“The only constant is change.” I don’t know who said that, but it is very true. You know we’ll support any changes you feel are necessary 🙂

11. ohmyscraps2u says:

Hey Mikey and friends,
    I understand having to clean up the videos and deleting non essential and possibly outdated ones. You all put a lot of hard work into making these and from what I have been able to learn in just a short time from your videos has been an awesome experience for me.
    ******For me being a newbie, non were outdated by the way…LOL!!!
    Some of us will miss a few of them (I saw the ones I saved to the “watch later” list were gone) but, I will learn from the new and hopefully once I get through the How To Read Patterns videos, I won’t need to watch step by step videos, except to refresh…
    ….Unfortunately that will be me watching all of them again & again since in my middle aged life I have the SOMETIMERS disease…(Sometimes I remember, Sometimes I don’t….LOL!)
    ****Thanks for bringing life back into me as i ventured into another part of my creative side. It has literally saved me as I have been recovering over the last few months.
    Maybe one day I can join your cruise and meet wonderful new friends who love the Hookers life as much as I have enjoyed the ventures in learning from a great community. Keep up the good work and continue growing and learning too.
    May you all be Blessed with a wonderful Spring.
    Sandra VanWoerden~OhMyScraps

12. Beverley says:

I can’t thank you enough for all you do Mikey. Dan and Cathy as well!!! Love your videos and the way you have of helping make every project so easy to learn and follow along. Looking forward to many many more!!! Thanks!!!

13. Carlyn says:

I may have to day if some are gone I have put in favorites, I do understand. Although I am a basic hoarder this may be hard for me anyway. I will keep watching. I have learned a lot from you too. thanks for doing this for all us old ladies out here

14. Sandy says:

Future is better.

15. Pat McKay says:

Bravo! Not an easy task you had, but it sounds like it was necessary to edit the video collection & retain only those that were on target & most relevant. Thanks for doing it. Bet you’re glad that task is done……. at least for now!! Also thanks for all your continued efforts to teach & keep us informed. Your videos are top notch & superbly done, as are all the Crochet Crowd efforts of Cathy, Dan & yourself.

16. Nana28kidz says:

If it weren’t for your videos I wouldn’t make a thing. I still can’t read patters but your videos are so easy to follow. Wish you would do more intricate stuff.

17. Sharon Ingalls says:

Thank You for your dedication and helping us learn new things. I love going to your site and I know I will always learn something new.

18. Rosalie says:

Thank you, it will make my searches easier. Bet you have a feeling of relief! Things that pile up often drag us down…now you are out in front! Keep up the great work and thank you for all that you do.

19. Paula Rebelo says:

I think you guys do an amazing job. Whatever decision you made was for the better of the “crowd”. Thank you for everything you do. I’m so glad to have found such a wonderful community.

20. tiffanymils says:

That really stinks I like that guy

21. Georgette Fraction says:

Housekeeping is always a requirement to stay fresh and focused. Being relatively new to the Crochet Crowd I have no complaints on the videos and tutorials found on YouTube. God bless you and keep up the great work!

22. I’m so impressed (as I always am by your work ethic)! That must have been a Herculean task to go through all those videos and decide what to keep and what to delete. There is a huge difference in quality between your earliest and latest videos, but they have all been instrumental in teaching people to crochet. Thank you for everything you do for us! Always looking forward to the next video. 🙂

23. It was very frustrating back then with part 1 of 4 part 2 of 4 and so on. Your new videos are great.

24. Diane Bresett says:

Just have to say thanks for always thinking of / taking care of us out here in crochet land. If it wasn’t for your helpful video I never would have been able to figure out the crocodile stitch scarf 😦 ❤ you Mikey and Diva Dan

25. Leslie Hammer says:

I truly understand, Mikey.

Still… 😦
    {{{{{{MIKEY}}}}}

26. Patricia S says:

First, let me say “Good job”. Next, please don’t be mad at me for pointing out an incorrect word. You mean to say, “I prefer to lead the crowd THAN to follow it” not THEN. I’m just trying to help. Thanks for all of your hard work.

27. shari says:

I know u must keep up with the times. But my selfish ways are saying “OH NO!!!!!! I WANT MORE MORE MORE VIDEOS”…LOL

28. Your dedication is well appreciated. Thank you so much for all you to help us “hookers”

29. Sheryl says:

Your dedication is appreciated! Is there any way the videos can include captions for those who are hearing impaired? If written text is included, it isn’t a problem.

30. Alethia Douglass says:

Sounds good to me. Organization is very important and change happens fast. I am learning that myself with housekeeping. I retired recently and I am trying to apply those skills to my home. Things do clutter up quickly even when you don’t leave the house for 8 hrs each day. You inspire in more ways than you realize. God bless you.

31. Ann Dennis says:

The only problem I can see with this is people can’t see some of those earlier videos and then a newer one and be impressed with how much you have learned and changed.
    I have referred several people to your beginning crochet videos you will have new viewers soon. 😀

32. dancinggirl75 says:

You are a GENIUS. Knowing what to do and when to do it, not only allows you to re-create, but to de-clutter and rearrange your potential as a great crochet teacher. Thanks Mikey.

33. “I prefer to lead the crowd then to follow it.”

I think you mean ‘than.’ It’s a rather different sentence otherwise.

34. Diane Suder says:

I was in a panic until I continued reading. One of my goals was to check out all the videos to see what was offered before I discovered “The Crochet Crowd’. I still have that goal and Mike has made the time I will be spending checking things out better. Thank you. You must have spent hours doing this. Keep up the incredibly fabulous job you are doing. Have a wonderful day.

35. Change for the better is always good. Keep up the good work! 🙂

36. Laura says:

Good for you!!! Congratulations

37. Carla says:

Thank you for all you do. I am able to crochet because of your video’s. I find that you are very easy to follow and make sure that each step is clearly viewable so that we can see and hear what you are doing.

38. Lynn Niehaus says:

I learned much on your earliest videos and for that I thank you.

39. Debi Shipman says:

I don’t care for YouTube’s latest makeover. They made it more difficult to find anything. I just recently watched a few of your older videos and I’d like to congratulate you on your improvement over the years, (I’m still in awe of the way you wrap your yarn.) Keep up the good work! 🙂

40. AnnB says:

I’m glad you had it in you to do all that work. I had many of your videos bookmarked so I can learn new techniques (You are my favorite teacher) I’m off to go check and make sure I still have those videos. You are an incredible teacher and I refer a lot of folks to your videos to help them learn. Thank you for all you do!

41. Carol says:

Mikey,
    Good for you. I’m sure that I watched many of the videos that you have recently removed and gained so much from them. But that was then, and this is now. Your web site and Facebook pagers are top notch. Keep up the good work and best wishes.

42. Cindy says:

After reading the entire article, I am once again breathing. Good decision.

43. Marcela says:

I’m pretty sure that if somebody ask for a particulary video, you can help them 😀 Good luck!

44. Wow …….. that is some time consuming job! I refer back to your videos all the time. I will check out the new slimmer you on YouTube! This is akin to cleaning out ones attic or garage. Thanks for all your hard work it is much appreciated.

45. Yolie says:

We appreciate the dedication and the reflective nature of your practice. Thank you for all you do.