On March 4th, 2014, I revealed we will be having a Mystery Crochet Along. I’ve never done a mystery crochet along before and I am really super excited about it.
The plan is to divide the project between 4 weeks. Each week, a part of the pattern, in written format, will be revealed with an accompanying video tutorial. The mystery is for me to keep it a secret on what the item is but I think after week 3 most of you will figure it out.
For me, a personal challenge is to film the tutorials without revealing what the item is. I always give helpful tips and instructional information pertaining to the direction in which the projects are used. I have been doing lots of outtakes as I keep accidentally spilling the beans.
The launch date is not yet firm as I need to get my act in gear and focus on not making so many video errors and get the editing finalized. If I were to just follow the pattern, as I have already done in my sample item, it took me about 2 – 3 days in all. I wasn’t manic about it either… I just worked on it in the evenings.
I can reveal to you that whomever finishes this project will be super proud of themselves and I bet a few of you make more than just one after it’s done. This is a community fun project to work on together.
- 3 Colours of Red Heart Super Saver, Red Heart With Love and/or equivalent yarn. My sample is done with Red Heart With Love as it’s softer than Super Saver. 1 Colour of the 3 will be the main colour which you will need nearly 1 ball. The other two are accenting colours. I’m not going to tell you which colours. Based on the clues below, you may come up with your own ideas of what the item might be and use colours that you think would be great together. This will allow all of us to come up with many different colour versions of the same item.
- Size 5.5 mm or Size I Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
- Stitch Markers
- 1/2″ – 1″ Diameter Safety Eyes. My sample has 1/2″ but I wish they were slightly bigger. I highly recommend getting safety eyes that look more like real eyes with pupils. It will make your item look more realistic and far more cuter. (Here’s A Blog on using Safety Eyes)
- Fiberfill Stuffing. (You can find this at Walmart) If you know how to crochet eyes, you can crochet them instead of using Safety Eyes. The tutorial will not include crocheting the eyes.
- A Shoebox or storage box to store your items as you finish your homework each week.
- Do not disqualify yourself by thinking you know what the pattern is.
- To be fair to all Mystery Adventure Challengers, changing the pattern will not be allowed.
- Do not jump ahead and complete sections of the pattern where you think you know what the item is or how it should it be completed.
- You will be allowed to embellish or do add ons after the pattern has been released. However, all elements, including stitching and components, must be completed before you start with your embellishments.
Don’t Bother to Use A Search Engine
- To make this more of a mystery. I am working with Red Heart on this one. They are allowing me to release a pattern in puzzle pieces. This is unusual.
- The item we will be working on doesn’t exist online anywhere. This would be like Christmas Morning and knowing all the gifts under the tree… there would be no mystery.
On the Final Week
- I will open up the email inbox to start receiving your pictures of your finished project(s).
- You will have only 2 weeks from the final video to submit you project. If you are following along in the mystery challenge, you most likely will finish on the day that the final video and instructions are given out. To allow time for people that are stretched for time, we are giving a two week buffer time. Details on submission guidelines will be given once this officially kicks off. As most of you know, we are firm on cut off dates and times to be fair to everyone who is pushing themselves.
- One lucky person will be randomly selected to receive a Fully Loaded Red Heart Yarn Bag.
I will update you all when I get closer to the finish line. I cannot rush the process of getting all my ducks in a row.
Do mystery crochet alongs excite you? Do you think you will participate? Leave me your comments below.