Figuring Out The Baby Afghan with Current Challenge

Mikey

Spring Has Sprung Afghan Challenge

There have been several questions on Facebook and in our emails about people wanting the stitch counts for Baby Afghans and bigger for the current challenge.

In stitches where there are multiples, meaning that so many chains are required for a repeat pattern to exist, you use that info to figure out the custom size widths you need.

Understanding how to do this allows you to manipulate stitches into other projects besides what is shown on a pattern. In the Button Up Cowl, there is a Stitch Count given for the repeat pattern.

Here’s what the patterns says. STITCH PATTERN – Ch a multiple of 7 + 3

To figure out the width here is what I do:

1. Chain in sets of 7… So count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7. Make a decision if your project is wide enough.
  2. If your project isn’t wide enough, add another 7 chains and make a decision again. Keep repeating that.
  3. When you get to the desired size by either holding up the project to something like an existing afghan, bed, couch or even a measuring tape. STOP and then just add 3 at the end of the chain.

Why do this?

This allows you to complete afghans, shawls, pillows, runners and so much more by knowing that the multiple is. Most repeat patterns in afghans have a multiple. This allows designers to not have to write a pattern for unlimited sizing of projects and allows us crocheters to be creative.

In the case of this project. The edges are the same on both sides. The part between the edges keeps repeating itself until you get to near end of your chain. I explain that in the video tutorial.

While our fans are expecting to me to give you a firm chain count… part of this exercise is to understand this concept so you may use this knowledge with 1000’s of patterns online where this type of information is available. It’s good to know.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, Crochet Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Figuring Out The Baby Afghan with Current Challenge

1. Constance Patch says:

I love, love, love this. I find myself now looking for patterns that say ‘chain a multiple of 7 + 3’ instead of ‘chain 17’ I am excited to finish the baby afghan I’ve started with #5 Thread – it’s taking me a bit longer since it’s so fine. Thank you for this wonderful site!!! ❤

2. Lynne says:

I just wanted to say that this is the way I learned to crochet 50 years ago,for me it makes it easier to make the item just the size I want. I should thanks to my long gone Granny and to Mikey for teaching this to the rest of you.

3. Diane says:

Mikey I think you are the best instructor on the internet I have learned so much from your simple easy instructions

4. CJ says:

Mikey that made it very clear for me to understand. I am fairly new to the Crochet Crowd and am enjoying it immensely.

5. Holly says:

I am LOVING these challenges! Still working on the Heart- as I love that it will be my first real project. I have learned so much following Crochet Crowd and tutorials and as an ADD person this has been a HUGE accomplishment. The challenges aren’t scary anymore! ;). Thanks Mikey and everyone for giving us just enough help to figure things out for ourselves sometimes. Much love

6. Christine says:

Would someone explain how to figure out how many skeins of yarn to purchase for a project? I seem to always buy too little and have to try to find matching lot/dye #’s or hope it matches.

• Holly says:

I buy one more skein extra and figure I can always use it for scrap-Ghans

• Cathy Kenny says:

Christine, I do believe several of the large yarn companies have instructions on figuring out yarn yardage for projects. Plus there are a few independent out there that do the same. If you Google it you might find what you are looking for. I usually end up buying more than needed because I don’t take the time to figure out; but like Holly said, the extra can always be used elsewhere!

7. Kyria West says:

I started an afghan and the pattern isn’t as close together as yours is for the cowl in the video. But it looks awesome. I think it will draw up when it’s washed though. I also had a couple extra chains but better to have too many and sew them in later than not have enough and have to start over! Lol,

8. Kathi Moore says:

Mikey, I am so happy you are stretching our minds with this challenge, that’s what I am loving about this challenge. I spent about 30 minutes working out all the measurements and stitch count! Thanks!

9. ann says:

I want to know if there is a specific pattern not just how to start it can you please answer that thanks

• Katheryn Cox says:

The pattern for the button-up cowl are on the challenge page. For a scarf you just make it longer, and for the blanket you are taking the pattern idea and changing it to blanket size. There is not an actual written blanket pattern.

10. itsauntied says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I find that my beginning chain is not an accurate measurement for my resulting width – the next row usually tightens up my chain. Therefore, I must do a gauge swatch.

• Katheryn Cox says:

Can’t tell you how many times I have done my chain to the measurement, just to find out 2 or 3 rows in that it is smaller than what I wanted. I normally do a gauge swatch anyway just to make sure that I have a hang of the pattern.

• Pat says:

Sometimes it helps to use a size larger hook for your chain and then switch to the smaller size for the body. The other option is to do an extra repeat over the size you decide on. The latter is what I do.

• inkpattie says:

I like to do a border around my baby blankets, so if I’m an inch or two too small, I just make a wider border.

11. Katheryn Cox says:

*In a super whine-y, needy voice* But Mikey…I wanted you to do all the hard work for me.

12. Pam Sherman says:

Thanks very much. That explained all I needed to know.

13. I think you explained it perfectly, I love the fact that you didn’t figure it out for us but taugnt us how to figure it out for ourselves. You are a great teacher

• The best teachers I had growing up and still to this day are the ones that lead me to the answer and not tell me the actual answer. The understanding of how it is achieved is the lesson that proves to valuable in the long term.