Teaching Knitting Behind Bars: A Remarkable Story

Knitting Behind BarsYou cannot imagine how much I loved this article that was called Knitting Behind Bars.

Our crocheters know how much therapy crochet provides. Lynn Zwerling, and her team of volunteers, are people I would want to meet in my lifetime after reading this article. To take a passion to give it to another is one thing. BUT… to take your passion to prison to extend it to prisoners is a whole other level that requires so much more.

As a person that has taught a lot of people in my life, I know how great I feel on being able to expand what I know to teach others but to do this is something that I would have to seriously think about.

Putting aside what has happened in the past to bring these men together in prison. I cannot applaud the Lynn and her team loud enough for making the effort and seeing the positive benefits of helping others in the form of knitting therapy. I’m not sure I could do this, just for the fear and being the personality that I am; however, it makes me appreciate the effort and time involved in this all the more remarkable.

On behalf of the entire Crochet Crowd Team, thank you for seeing a need and filling a need. This article touched our hearts beyond measure.

This entry was posted in Charity Projects & More and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Teaching Knitting Behind Bars: A Remarkable Story

1. Sandy Powers says:

back in the 80’s I used to teach prisoners to crochet. They loved the patterns I brought in and they were very happy to have someone show them how to do all the stitches.

2. Thank you so much for featuring our program on your blog! Lynn and I are so pleased that you love this program as much as we do!!

Sheila Rovelstad
    Co-founder of Knitting Behind Bars

3. Rena says:

I have a son in jail also and to a stupid life mistake he was framed cause they told him he would get life , well he was scared and he didn’t know life didn’t always mean life. he has never been in trouble with the law, he always worked with them, he was a vol.firefighter, he was on the crime watch , he directed traffic for the police and firefighters,anyway, he said where he is at in ohio he dose sewing, so I don’t know if he remembers that I tought him how to knit, I did all my kids, if he did he could start a program like this cause where he is at its not a high risk jail.

4. connie jo says:

I know of a lady that has brought quilting to the prison she works at. The finished quilts are all donated to places in the community. And the men are loving it. And the guards say that the men use the quilting as a release of emotions. Good and bad. I have given her fabric and a sewing machine. She uses her own $$ for the batting and etc. They might be getting a grant soon. The inmates like the quilting and radio better than t.v. Keep it up ladies.

5. Lynda says:

I think this is an absolute WONDERFUL thing to do! I have a grandson that is in prison, through a stupid life mistake. Wonderful young man but had a car accident that took 2 lives. His blood alcohol was just 1 point above legal but the family of the 2 that died wanted him to pay dearly so he is doing just that. He has 2 little boys 4 and 3 weeks old. He is in a place that doesn’t even have college programs! Nothing outside of work, TV and reading! Something like this program would be so wonderful! I wish someone would start this program where my Joe is.

• Karen says:

Lynda, Have you thought about doing a search and contacting local yarn shops if they would be willing to do an outreach program? You could send them a link to the article so they could see what it is, and I’m sure if they contacted the folks doing this, they would share information. If that doesn’t work, try churches, prayer shawl organizations, etc. I hope you find something that works.

6. Verlinda Rankin says:

Wonderful, heartfelt story. God bless her!!