Winter Blues Got You Down?

Michael Sellick

Mikey, The Crochet Crowd

I got off the phone a few minutes ago with a business associate and someone I have come to trust. I’ve been going to bed frustrated and feeling like every waking minute is a test of patience.

Though I will admit, in the grand scheme of things, my complaint emails aren’t any higher than normal BUT I think my patience level is lower than usual. Complaint emails and negative content online are driving daggers into my soul. I would describe myself as feeling ‘defeated’ but if I remove myself from my body, I’m doing fine on most levels. I’m just feeling low and really want to surround myself with optimistic and positive individuals to rebuild my nature energy.

We are each responsible for the energy in which we bring to a room or even cyber space. We effect each other, even if we have never ever met in real life.

Like many here in the north… we have experienced a really brutal winter in temps and snow accumulation. Though I was away in the south for an extended period of time, I’m ready to see winter break it’s hold.

With the winter blues, I find myself extremely restless and I cannot seem to concentrate on one item for long. I’m jumping all over the place, creating more work for myself. It’s a vicious circle.

From my vantage point, I think many people are experiencing the same thing. I am seeing comments on Facebook, not just on The Crochet Crowd, but generally of negative and comments that would be perceived as intentional negative comments.

Reading content is very subjective to your mood. If you are in a rut, like I am feeling, every comment has a side meaning when there’s really nothing there. If I could just bury my head into a crochet project right now and let a few days go by, it may just be the therapy I need right now.

How do you get yourself out of rut? Share some of your secrets with me. I could really use it right now. Leave your comments below.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

306 Responses to Winter Blues Got You Down?

1. theresa says:

It is hard when things are not going right i had afew bad years due to deaths my son then my mother my best friend then my daughters boyfriend all close together my other children kept at me to go back to crochet which i did i started two clubs teaching others to crochet and pass on what my mam taught me we have such fun while learning from each other so keep positive in your great work because i have them all told to watch your vidoes if they not sure how to do stitches and dont forget the plesure you give to many we cant please everyone in this life

2. Peggy Daniels says:

I love your website. I read it from top to bottom. I laugh sometimes and love the insight you provide. Try deep breathing exercises when you are stressed. Breathe In through your nose for a count of five and breathe out through your mouth for a count of five. I do about five or more of these and it always helps. For all the negative comments you receive, I am sure there are five times as many people who love your site. When you can help others and bring joy to them, what more can you ask for? Keep up the terrific work!

3. Jill says:

Focus on the positive! I’m sure you get so many reassuring email or posts than the negative ones. Focus on the ones that really make you happy or laugh. I love scrolling down on facebook and coming upon a beautiful creation that someone did and you posted it. You make so many people happy and you are able to reach so many. Be proud, be happy. My friend used to keep this email of a baby laughing every time he saw a little bear, and that would cheer her up. Do you have a favorite email or card that makes you smile. And don’t forget to take care of you

4. I have read many of the postings and I to would like to say you are an awesome person. I have been crocheting off and on since I was a teenager, many moons ago. Finding you online has brightened my days and opened up my imagination. I came across the video on the crocodile stitch that you did and after a quick swatch test I made a sweater for my bulldog grandson that is total made in the crocodile stitch. You’re amazing to watch and I love to hear you giggle, it puts a smile on my face. There’s a saying my mom taught me when someone would say or do something to hurt my feelings (Hold your head up high and let it go, just like water off a ducks back). We all love you, please remember that when you are feeling blue.

5. emma says:

Mikey-you rock!

6. Laurene says:

,Mikey, I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling down. First, accept that it’s natural to feel that way sometimes and that it’s temporary. Second, take a day for yourself and only do things that make you feel good. When I need a day, I take a long bubble bath, dress in something that always makes me feel good, take a walk in an arboretum or park (depending on the weather), read a good book, dine on whatever I feel like but with candlelight and music. I find that after spending a day alone, doing things just for me, I’m ready to face the world and all it’s problems again.
    This comes from a woman with frozen water and sewer pipes, and a pantry I’m disinfecting after mice moved in while I was gone for two weeks. So trust me, I know what I’m talking about. I really hope this helps you, and remember, you have a lot of people who care about you. Laurene

7. Michele T. says:

When I feel like what you are feeling, I count my blessings. I am blessed to be creative, inspirational, & a friend. Thanks be to my form of spiritual inspiration!

8. If you need a real mood “upper” rescue a cat or dog from a shelter. They have so much love to give and can change your mood so fast. If you sit and pet a cat or dog it lowers your blood pressure (proven scientifically) and calms your nerves. They have done studies that prove how much it helps people’s health and mental state. You feel good knowing you have saved a life and you get so much love in return. I know you travel quite a bit so a cat would probably be easier for you to find a caregiver for when you are away. Try it – it works!

9. Denise says:

Mikey when you are down look at all the comments from the ones who love and appreciate you. I sell on eBay and after 5,000+ excellent feedbacks I received a negative from someone who didn’t know how to read a listing. I was devastated for a month but since the negative I have received so many wonderful feedback comments. We try to do our best and be perfect but no one is perfect, not even you….but you are as near perfect as you can be. Some people are just out to hurt others feelings and there will always be those few to ruin the day.

10. Hey Mikey I am somewhat older than you and know exactly what you are talking about, when I get that feeling I put on an old movie like the Wizard of Oz or Murphy’s Romance you know something upbeat or my very favorite is Young Frankenstien. I can sit and watch and crochet or knit of just eat popcorn and it feels better . If I can get someone I love to do this with me it is even better. But if I cant watch a movie I like to put on some upbeat movie and dance around a little, actually if you can get out and walk with someone or even by yourself (it is always more enjoyable if you have a walking partner) just get moving , movement seems to really help lift the spirits and last but not least know that you impact many folks in a very good way! I am self taught to knit and crochet so have big gaps in my knowledge and was so excited when I found your instructional videos on Youtube ! They are excellent I downloaded them and play them back to learn things (many ) I do not know how to do.I love the differrent stitches you have taught me and hope you feel uplifted to know how many folks old and young you have helped. Keep it up and thank you so much.

11. Mikey
    I am so glad I found your web site.I have been crocheting for 50 years give or take a few but always the same thing never expanded or challenged myself.I still can’t read a pattern but thanks to your videos I have learned so much. I feel like a kid again. It’s like when my Mom showed me the magical world of knitting and crocheting so many years ago. Thank you

12. darlene rosalie knous says:

I stumbled upon you, Mikey, while trying to learn a bobble stitch(?) and you so inspired me to keep crocheting that I now have 5 projects started ( and half-finished), so you can pat yourself on the back for being such a good teacher and a positive, uplifting spirit.
    Thank you.

13. karenblair/fredwinchester says:

we have read and reread this blog to form appropriate comments and WOW! our Mikey is feeling down! that just cannot be – a good dose of sunshine, some nice tea, a good friend with whom to walk in the park, and some bright new springtime yarn should help with that. you should know that you (and company) have the classiest, most beautiful, most informative and most creative blog – and it gets better every day. sometimes we can only read/look at a bit at a time as the goodness can become overwhelming. you have no idea how much you(and your crew) are appreciated for all you do (and say). it’s difficult being a role model sometimes but in so many ways you are. thank you for being you. hang in there – it is almost spring! (or you could just come to the west coast of florida). karenb/fredw

14. Kim Huss says:

It has been a long, hard winter, but I am starting to feel spring is just around the corner. I’ve had a rough week at work, so I totally understand where you are coming from. People complain, it wears us down. There are people we’d all like to limit from our lives on certain days, so, everything your feeling happens to all of us from time to time. I want you to know, you have truly brought so much to my life. I learned to do a chain and maybe double crochet when I was like nine, but I did nothing with that. My aunt that taught me this much lived on the other side of the country, so crochet lessons were too few and far apart. A couple months ago I accidentally found this yarn that was so bright and cheerful, I knew I had to do something with it. I came home and search youtube, and landed on your video. I made my first afghan by watching you teach how triple crochet. It’s very basic and there are certainly imperfections (still struggle with tension (I think that’s the word)). But the bright cheerful colors of my first one make me smile. I accomplished something that was all mine. From there, I moved on to your corner to corner project. Finished an afghan for my son in his favorite colors. Now, I’m making one using the raspberry salad pattern that you shared. I have something relaxing to do in the evenings. I’ve got a feeling that everyone in my family will be getting afghans for Christmas this year. I cant wait to finish one so I can learn something new and start the next one. I’m not sure what people have to complain about in relation to your site or teaching….if they don’t like it, don’t watch, but whatever, there has to be a few in each group. Soooo, just know that I love you, you’ve added happiness to my life. I have no doubt, if we met in real life, we’d be great friends. Carry on with your good work it means so much!

• Kathryn says:

I had the chance to meet Mikey and Dan in person and they are all the warm fuzzies you imagine them to be 🙂

• Philippa Foster says:

Love that you love the bright cheery colours. I started crochet a few weeks ago and made a very colourful capelet that makes me smile everytime I see it. Also a scarlet fleece cape with snow bunnies on cos I love to sew a well. Keep the colour flowing!
      Happygirlie

15. Diane J says:

Hi Mikey, I agree with Kathryn about the negative emails.

Usually when I get the blues and feeling overwhelmed what I actually do is play time wasting games on the internet. But that makes me feel guilty and more overwhelmed, which doesn’t help.

When I think about what I really need, I drink earl grey tea, put on uplifting classical music and burn aromatic candles. Burgamot, and orange are good ones that come to mind.

I also try to get a dose of natural light on my skin, this can be hard to do in winter when daylight is quite dark for weeks. Even half an hour can make a difference to my mood. Fluorescent lighting is not adequate, normal light bulbs are better, so switch on all the lights. Can you sit in front of a real wood fire for a while, instead of gas or electric heating? There is no point plugging away at work when you can’t concentrate, take a break and take care of you.

With love from Diane in Australia. (What would I know about a cold winter?) hehe

16. Jamie Ryan says:

When I start feeling down, I remember one of my worst days, look back at how far I have come. Sometimes it works. Or, I will throw myself into a project, try to learn/re-learn something new (which can leave one VERY frustrated) *laughs. But my Favorite thing to combat the winter blues, is to start planning my flower bed. 🙂

17. Kathryn says:

OMG… I can’t believe that you are getting such negative emails as to put your spirits down. You are WAY beyond that. But you are sensitive and see that it could hurt you.
    I say trash them all !!! You were not available for emails for a few weeks . Trash them. If they are important and people need to get a hold of you they will resend or find other means to get a hold of you. If not , they were the mean spirited, rude people you don’t need to hear from.
    I really hope you do this to the rest of them.

18. Gloria says:

Mikey when I get too feeling low and depressed I start thinking about people who r cripple and the one who doesn’t have food to eat and I began to feel blessed. The thought c omes to me that that could have been me. Or I talk or visit the elderly people and think that one day this is gonna be me, so I start thanking God for who he has made me to be then I start feeling graceful and I come out of the depression

19. mattsmadre says:

Mikey, you have the right to feel down sometimes. You are one of the sunniest most uplifting, positive people I know. That makes it hard for you to accept that some people are not in the same place. Feeling down is sometimes needed to bring us back on track as to why we do what we do and to change the things we don’t like. So it will only make you a better person. I however think that people who are negative to what you do should find somewhere else to vent because I have never seen anything but positive vibes from you. Anyway. I think you should create a separate, special file for all the negative email, and give it a good name such as the negativity inferno. Then every email you get that is not nice you can flip into this file and say “out, damn spot, out!” It will make you feel better and you will see how small that file is compared to your “good” files. In the meantime, just take one day at a time. The weatherman says we only have a month of this left. haha!

• Laurie says:

I’m sorry but what gets me going and out of a RUT here in new jersey with all the snow ! is you Mikey watching your videos and reading the Blog and facebook keeps me going and happy with all the challenges and the beautiful things that one day i will hopefully make! people have such great imagination with color and style so beautiful!