It’s About Skills & Community, Not Winning

Mikey

The Crochet Crowd Challenges

I am really discouraged in reading comments and my inbox for people who don’t participate in our challenges because they make statements like, “I never win anything so I am not going to bother!” That’s a really pessimistic view and the point of the challenges is definitely being missed.

I was going through comments and I believe I have failed in relaying the purpose of the challenges.

In real crochet and knitting groups, they tend to do projects together as a challenge. Why?

1. They do this to build skills.
  2. Encourage each other during the process and provide advice when required.
  3. Have a common project where creativity is being unleashed to see what your final project will be.
  4. Have fun and feel connected to community.
  5. In the end, they might run a draw for a random prize.

The Crochet Crowd is one of the largest crochet communities in the world. We are essentially a crochet group that is cyber. Our group allows you to connect with us at any time of the day. We encourage and celebrate your finished projects. During the process of making, people post their work in progress. This is no different than showing up to a group each week showing your progress.

When I read comments that someone isn’t participating because they never win, I think the point of the challenge is being missed. The rewards of working together as a community outweigh the prize at the end. YES… it’s great to win the final prize and people do keep their eyes on the prize.

In 1000’s of comments I have received, people love these challenges as it makes them build their own skills. The skills they learn today help them in reading patterns, tackle projects they might not have considered in the past and much more. They love being inspired by other crocheters who are posting their WIP so they consider other alternatives. Many love to encourage each other too. True community connection which is happening.

Do you see? The challenges have a prize but the real prize is within yourself and all who participate and finished will have a trophy at the end, which is your finished project.

This entry was posted in Crochet Challenges and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

136 Responses to It’s About Skills & Community, Not Winning

1. nemeanleo says:

That is just stupid and I totally agree with you Mikey they are missing the point. And with attitudes like that why should they expect to win! that is childish behavior. I love the challenges because it helps me learn new patterns and helps me use yarn that I just haven’t found the right project for. When you release challenges it’s like a light bulb goes on and I have the perfect yarn for that challenge. So do please keep the challenges coming. I love them! You make them so easy for everyone to follow and it keeps it fun, I think I commented before where I said that you brought the excitement back to crochet. I’m excited to see what projects you have posted so I can get going on them. Even though I have a ton of others going on. lol but I figure out a way to fit them all in you inspire me! Love you Mikey and all the others at Crochet Crowd!

2. Laurene says:

Although you never see it, I have participated in a few of the challenges. Not all, because my schedule didn’t allow it. My main problem is that I have no way to take pictures of what I do. Making the projects is enough for me though. The ones I wanted to make but didn’t have time for, I saved the pattern so I can make them later. There are probably others in the same position, so don’t let “not everyone participating” get you down. Also people on tight budgets will pick and choose which projects they do because of that.

3. Margaret says:

That’s so true, it isn’t to win that I did the challenge it was to share my work with others. I am home bound most of the time due to health issues so I crochet and am trying to learn to knit to make items for charity. I do blankets for Project Linus, baby stuff for my local NICU and am just now starting caps for my local cancer treatment centers. If I didn’t have this community to share my craft with I wouldn’t have anyone to talk to and I don’t get any feedback from the charities because my kids drop the stuff off for me. I hope you keep doing challenges that fit with what I make, but even if you don’t just being a part of the community is what is important, even if I don’t post a lot I at least can read others stuff and feel connected to others who craft.

4. Carol says:

Are your contest winners people who have the most “likes” on Facebook??? (from their 200+ friends) If this is so, that is why many of us do not participate. It’s discouraging to us who only have a few friends on FB only to have the winner win not because of his/her talent judged by professionals but by a number of friends. Just saying is all.

• The contest winners are randomly generated. I don’t pay attention to anything as far as likes on Facebook. It’s not based on the best.. it’s based on pulling out a random name.

• Carol says:

Great! Thank you for your prompt response. I’ve stopped entering contests on other sites because the winner is the one who can get the most “LIKES”! I like your random drawing!

5. Rhonda Jurgenson says:

I really like the challenges because it pushes me to try projects I would never try! I’m so glad I found you Mikey!! The Crochet Crowd has turned my world around!!

6. Bill & Rose says:

Yes, Mikey, the losers are the people that don’t try to learn.  I don’t care if I win the prize, I care that I am learning a new skill or sharpening the skill I have already learned.  Some people focus on the wrong things in life and I would think it would make them terribly unhappy.  I am so glad I don’t live with a negative mindset.  It would be such a bummer to think like that!!   Bill & Rose <

We must learn to see our circumstances through God's love and not God's love through our circumstances.

7. abs27 says:

I’m not very PC savy and don’t know how to post my pics even if I could get a project finished in time (which is not likely). It’s interesting to see others work that is posted though.

8. Audrey says:

I don’t enter the challenges because I don’t think I can get them done in time, plus I don’t know how to post the photos even if I finished a project. I don’t have a smartphone and not very PC savy.

9. Kathryn says:

Reading once again that it is not our “regular” community people writing you. It’s the people surfing by , trying to complete something that is “beyond” their skill level. Quiting. Can’t enter. So boo hoo….it’s not fair.
    And as far as not winning. One needs to enter to win something “some day”

10. Mari says:

I think it’s selfish to do just so you can get, I dont do challenges because I’m the type of person that starts one thing then another but I love to see people do things and I learn along the way. Don’t listen to those comments, they surely don’t understand what you got going on here. You know something today I’m gonna challenge myself to complete six crochet blocks and a phone cozy, so you see this is why you bother to join and take part of things because at the end your a winner too. If I only complete four I’m going to be proud of myself. You keep this up and don’t listen to the negative comments.

11. rocar76033 says:

Mikey,
    I am sorry, although not surprised, that so many people choose to live in the “mully grubs” and be negative. You are a very positive person and such an encouragement to others. It is an uphill effort to live above the level of negativity that exists in the world today.

You do so much good and you make this group so interesting. I enjoy the challenges to keep us motivated to come up to the next level of creating something beautiful, You & your staff are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

12. Joan says:

Although I do not participate in the “Challenges” I so love to look at all that do and I so love the fact that people are sharing their ideas with me personally….cause that is how I feel about the things that “The Crochet Crowd” puts up on Facebook or my inbox….
    Don’t pay no mind to those who are gloomy gussies there are more of us out here that LOVE seeing the things that everyone does…..
    Thank you and when I learn to put up pics maybe you will see what I can make and maybe inspire others as well…Keep doing all this amazing work we love you……

13. Linda says:

Mikey, I really don’t think you have to explain the meaning of the challenges. These negative comments do not merit a response. If these crocheters only do these challenges to win a prize, then they do not deserve to win! If the goal is the win a prize, I can think of many many easier ways to win a prize than to crochet an entire afghan! There are many sweepstakes online anyone can enter.
    I participated in the Shimmering Hearts Scarf Crochet Along and I knew I missed the deadline but I did it anyway and sent a photo in. I learned filet crochet which I had never heard of before this. I also loved looking at the photos of all the other participants scarves. I remember being awed by the wide array of variations done with the scarf and I kept thinking, “Why didn’t I think to do it that way?”

14. Karen Wright says:

Thank you for giving us these challenges. Like all challenges in life, they are opportunities for growth and for connection with the larger community if we choose to take it. My attempts have not been successful enough for me to share but I have learned some much from this whole community and the challenges that my confidence in my work is growing constantly. Don’t be so hard on yourself, Mikey. The gift of yourself and your talent has been such a benefit and a blessing for so many of us and there are just some people who are only interested in what is in it for themselves.

15. Andrea says:

If I only did things because I thought I might win something I would never do anything! Don’t have much luck winning prizes but I consider myself a winner if I participate, have fun and learn something! Prizes are nice but the real prize for me is the sense of accomplishment and the “yep I did that” I can share with my family and friends! Do not despair!

16. Mary Starnes says:

Were you singnaling me out. I have never made anything but positive comments to others. I have never mentioned any of the challenges in any way. I think they are great not only for the challenge but because it gives a person a sense of purpose. I have not joined a challenge as of yet mainly due to the fact that I am completing projects for Family, Friends and also items that they have ordered this is in between all I make for Charity. So, at the present time my time for a challenge had to go to the end of my list. I love your site and all you do for everyone. I look forward to many happy years here. Thank You, Mary Starnes

17. Barbi says:

Don’t let the nay-sayers discourage you. A beautiful finished product is a reward in itself. Keep up the good work!