Do You Struggle with Crochet Patterns & Colour?

Crochet Crowd

Do colour combos have your brain tied up into knots?

I struggle with putting colours together due to myself wanting everything to match and follow a pattern. I really struggle with the entire concept.

I saw this gorgeous scarf in a free pattern on RedHeart.com that was called Loops & Fringe Scarf. The original design is a solid colour.

I’m the queen of seeing milestones or graduation points in anything I do. I am extremely goal oriented and I need to see progress. Part of my addiction to colour changing is seeing my work progress. When I see new colours or when I add new colours, I feel an inner sense of progress which feeds my addiction nicely. This is one of the reasons why most of the projects I design and/or follow along with are so infused with colour.

Yarn companies, have umpteen million colours at their disposal when it comes to selecting what colour their yarns should be. For me, I would be totally stressed out in a job like that. How can I just choose a few colours? I don’t know how they narrow it down like they do. It’s a gift I just don’t have.

When I cross compare to yarns of yesteryear, the yarns are fairly basic but we have seen technological advances of manufacturing and really fun ideas being incorporated into the yarns. I think yarn today is a lot more vibrant and visually interesting. It makes for fun yarn shopping to me.

Red Heart, Bernat and Lion Brand have come up with yarns that are just jaw dropping fabulous. I love when experts take the bull by the horns and come up with slowly colour transitioning yarns. For me, it takes some of the guess work out of selecting colours. Essentially, I’m letting the yarn do the work and I can relax and crochet with ease.

For many crocheters, putting colours together is a very difficult job. Many of us, including me, get stuck in creating a pattern and struggle with projects appearing to be random. If you are in this category, the art of being random is a gift that a few of us have. Diva Dan has this gift and it drives me crazy with envy. It’s hard to think random when our brains are wired to look for patterns. Getting outside of this thinking is really tough. Either way your brain is wired, it’s what’s makes crochet so interesting.

Do you prefer patterns? or Can you create random looking projects with ease? Leave me a comment below and share with me what you think.

This Article Has Been Edited

Please note this blog has been edited due to my loose terminology of using OCD. I apologize to those who were offended and/or have this serious illness. This article was not intended to be taken in the context in which people are reading it. Please do not over react and/attack others for my editing, it was a judgement call based on the facts presented by readers who suffer or deal with OCD. Please respect, with kindness and open arms that my terminology wasn’t meant to insult or mock anyone. Diva Dan’s mother suffered from severe paranoid schizophrenia. We are very aware of mental illness and the struggles that it can cause within families and friends.

This entry was posted in Red Heart Yarns, Scarves and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Do You Struggle with Crochet Patterns & Colour?

1. yayamama56 says:

All I can say is TG for varigated yarns. I usually take an interesting color scheme & try to match my other colors to it. I love those long color ones like RH unforgettable. They make life so much easier & more colorful for me 🙂

2. Deb says:

Sue, just out of curiosity, where in norther il was this outlet and is it still there?

3. Sue says:

I I too have the same problem as you. I once had the opportunity to go to a yarn outlet store in northern Illinois and was totally blown away by all the yarns. After about two hours and no decisions made yet my husband was beginning to get impatient and I was beginning to feel a panic attack coming on so quickly that I became dizzy. I finally ended up buying only about a dozen skeins of yarn which was nothing in comparison to what I had the tremendous opportunity to buy and to the quantity and variety of stock the store carried and left on a disappointed note in myself for my inability to make a decision and to have been so overwhelmed by all the yarn choices. From now on I stick to the smaller stores. Sue

4. Laurene says:

I mostly just hold up different colors of yarn next to each other until I get a set that “looks right” to me. Of course I may have gone through the whole yarn section by then.

5. I prefer patterns, I can see what the pattern looks like and visualize the colors coming to life. I actually have no problem seeing colors just creating my own pattern and to corporate colors into it I have a hard time with. I like to read the pattern and then I can see the colors come to me while I read it.

6. Joan K. Davis says:

Patterns…!! E-911…I am having a fit with a pattern for a simple shawl!! I have pulled out and reworked the same pattern three times. The first time, I was making a simple mistake, but the second two times…???? The pattern was extracted from the internet, from yarnspirations.com. I am of German descent, so I naturally come by the stubbornness to make this work, (joke. LOL) How do I determine what is wrong with the pattern?

7. Sandi says:

Yes, I struggle w/colors. I prefer your tutorials. I cannot read patterns(must have a learning disability in my brain. Without your step by step tutorials, I’d be totally lost.

8. Amy says:

To anyone wondering about the yarn brand and color, i think it is Red Heart Super Saver in melonberry beautiful colors

9. Logene Studdard says:

I prefer patterns and some graphs.. IN 1968 I was taught the chain stitch and single crochet. And I learned my other stitches & the abbreviations from the book ” Learn How To Crochet”.
    My biggest problem is fastening off so there won’t be any knots and when I change colors I knot the 2 colors together so they don’t come apart. Wish there was a easier way

10. Lizzie says:

I enjoyed your article, as always, but I rarely leave a reply. COLOR is at times my worst enemy when it comes to deciding the colors I use in a project. I tend to stay in earth tones. I do love the slow transition variegated color yarns I see in many projects, but I can’t seem to envision the end result by looking at the yarn. I guess I will just have to jump in and give it a try. I am so inspired by you and I Thank You so much! Your web sites and tutorials have increased my knowledge and ability ten fold since I found you. Wishing you continued happy hooking 🙂

11. Patti says:

I guess I am totally weird LOL I need a pattern to crochet or knit. Colour for me is a cake-walk. As the daughter of an artist, while others were learning 1 + 1 = 2, I was learning blue + yellow = green! Later I became a picture framer in our family business. Working with matt colour, frames etc. was a great lesson in colour. I love colour and experimenting with it. I really LOVE the new self colour changing yarns. As mentioned above, where would some of us be without our Mums.

12. I’m pretty rubbish with colours (I’m from Scotland so that u isn’t a typo!) I love them but I’m totally flummoxed when it comes to putting them together. I generally stick to one colour or shades of a single colour to add effect. My Mum on the other hand is a dream at choosing what goes with what so when I’m stuck I call on her expertise. Where would some of us be without our Mum’s!! Vx

13. Robin Copper says:

I am still very much the beginner. I was shown how to crochet when I was in my teens. Well some twenty years has passed and I have picked up crochet again only because I found visual tutorials on YouTube. I still have not figured out how to read a pattern but once again, I have been “shown” how to create some really amazing items. Many thanks to you Mickey for your time and easy to follow along tutorials. I have truly enjoyed learning to crochet all over again.:)

14. Terry says:

I’m going through this right now!!! I want to make a beautiful afghan for my very girlie girl granddaughter who’s 8 years old (almost). I’m driving myself to distraction trying to figure out the color scheme……
    I’ll get there.

• Jennie says:

I’ve recently crochet afghans for young girls, and they _all_ requested the same colors – purple and yellow!

• Joan K. Davis says:

I had a friend who was an avid quilter and her husband had a large box (32 or 48 or maybe 64) of crayola crayons. She would have the pattern she wanted to quilt, and he would sketch out the pattern, and fill it in with color. This may be a solution for your “distraction trying to figure out the color scheme”…a box of crayons! Let me know how it works out, and if this helps. Joan

15. Also, when it comes to patterns, grrr…., I wish there weren’t any printing mistakes. My In Love With Colour Throw was completed using the original Red Heart pattern. I later found, as I was sewing my hexagons and squares together, that I only had to drop two rows below my stitch, not three. Ah well. I left it.

16. I do sometimes struggle with colour Mikey but I was recently jazzed because of my success in completing the “In Love With Colour Throw”. I sent it, forgive me, I think more than once. I wanted to know what you thought of my colours. The project gave me a burst of courage, and I am now crocheting a random project. I enjoy your videos and find them quite inspiring, but, in the end, need a written pattern. I hope to attend a Creative Festival one day, but, in the meantime, will continue to enjoy your motivation. Cheers.