Valentines… It’s About The Little Things

The Crochet Crowd

Mikey and Cathy, The Crochet Crowd Social Media Team behind the words on Facebook.

Valentines Day comes upon us and you will either see woman spitting fire, floating in a bubble of love and/or women that just shrug their shoulders. On the other side, you see men lining up for flowers, chocolates and looking for a card. I’ve even been in line listening to a guy say, “If I don’t go home with something, I’m going to be sleeping on the couch!”

Valentines is a neat little holiday because it can go in 3 different directions but let’s face the truth here. It’s a ‘man-made’ holiday and we need to keep that in perspective. So women, before you start substituting the salad dressing for Castrol Oil on Valentines Evening and guys, before you start ‘accidentally’ cutting the toes of your wife’s nylons and blaming the cat for it… you just may realize that there’s love there but not in so many obvious ways.

Appreciation in a relationship goes well beyond showing up at home with a fresh bouquet of flowers. It’s the little things that you appreciate. For me, it’s when Daniel remembers to get my a cup of tea if he is out and about in town. For me, it’s making sure Daniel’s taken care of and that his needs are being met. This isn’t a one day event… it’s all year long, year after year.

The better gift to anyone is the gift of appreciation and acknowledgement. You like to crochet and maybe your spouse doesn’t say much about it. Your spouse could come up with little cute sayings that would make your day.

• That’s pretty! Did you think of those amazing colours all by yourself?
  • Gee Honey… no one hooks as well as you do! will definitely score some bonus points and maybe a really fabulous evening that doesn’t involve a crochet hook!
  • When you are done that project, do you think you can make me something really special?

In turn, compliments of your spouse’s interests really go a long way too! It’s a two way street!

So this Valentines, while you are sitting on a chair wrapping your fingernails on the table, gritting your teeth and tossing around a few choice words in your head contemplating revenge while waiting for your spouse to come home, just remember, inside a box of chocolate is an extra pair of love handles and a temporarily high from the chocolate. Love doesn’t exist in a box of chocolates, it’s the little things that they do and that you would miss if they didn’t walk through the door.

PS… If they do bring chocolates… dive on in! Diets don’t exist on Valentines Day! haha… That’s my rule!

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Valentines… It’s About The Little Things

1. jeanette duurvoort says:

Yes, I agree whole- heartedly with with Sandy. 37 years…. and….still looking for “thee” perfect crochet hook.=) I have a very special Daughter born on this day, so this is why we celebrate.

2. Judy Ann says:

Your message is so true Mikey. There are many ways to show love, and the ones that don’t have a price tag attached are often the best! Unfortunately I can’t be w my soul mate today, but for a good reason: I’m in Long Beach, ready to cruise w you tomorrow!

3. Sandy says:

My husband and I will be married 30 years May 5th. I’ve always told him not to buy me anything because I know he loves me if he didn’t he wouldn’t be here. No money spent money saved and no dead flowers.

4. Sue McEndree says:

Well said Mikey!!
    I’m a widow, so don’t have a husband that worries if he forgot a gift. If the kids can’t come for a visit, that’s ok,, I’m satisfied with a phone call & I Love You Mom. I don’t need fancy cards & flowers & candy. I appreciate them of course , but always tell them I’d rather they just call & tell me they love me. That is more precious to me than any gift they could ever buy me.

• Terri Jordan says:

Sue,
      This has nothing to do with crocheting other that I am wondering if you are related to a Barbra McEndree in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I just crocheted her a birthday present for her birthday on the 28th? I think it is the little things your friends do as well that make a difference in any relationship. Homemade gifts are better than any gift as far as I am concerned especially if it comes from the heart!

5. Damon says:

To me Valentine’s Day is about learning something new so I can share in the joy of creating something cute/special/meaningful with the person I love.

6. karen bryan says:

“it’s the little things that they do and that you would miss if they didn’t walk through the door.
    Reminds me of Granny (and I’m 62) saying, “don’t gripe about the mud prints on the floor… there may soon not be any mud prints on the floor”.

7. TammyeHoney says:

Since I made a few items including a blanket for my hubby he sees my crocheting in a new light and thinks I am sick if I am not making something lol…

8. Pam Dow says:

Everyday is Valentines in my home , No gifts Just pure Love all around

9. Tincey Bate says:

To me, Valentine’s day is a nice time to celebrate love of all kinds, but it doesn’t need anything shop bought to do that. In fact, many a shoddy, cheating partner will show up with a bought gift to act as a band aid when better, more compassionate behaviour is what is really needed. My affection cannot be bought, but hugs and kind words and actions are free – give them freely.

10. Kim says:

Love is a verb. It is getting his coffee ready before I go to sleep at night so he just has to on the coffee maker. Making his lunch before I go to bed so he doesn’t have to do it in the morning.

11. Robyn says:

Love your blogs mike!

12. Meg says:

I always thought Valentine’s Day was a nice idea but now, like a lot of the other holidays during the year, it seems to be getting too much hype. I think this is due to the media and retailers just wanting to make some money, but I feel like the commercialism is detracting from the spirit of the holiday. Your post helps to bring back that spirit and remind us that it can be present every day of the year. I’m glad you wrote it.

13. Sandi says:

Hi Mikey & Dan,
    You “2” are a Hoot! You bring me much joy, even though I’m sad 24/7. I’m a mom & grandma. Mom to 3 sons & 3 daughters. They all live far away from me, from Oregon, Arizona & New York. I do not have the $$$$ to visit them. We do talk & text on the phone, but, that isn’t the same as a good ole fashion hug & kiss.
    My husband is recovering from 6 operations over the past 5 yrs. including major heart surgery. Keeps me busy, making sure he takes his medications.
    I’m very lonely & miss my kids & grandkids, but, every morning I turn on my computer & there you are w/a bright shiny smile to warm my day w/crochet.
    That’s all I could ask for.
    Enjoy the little things,
    I will have a virtual cup of tea w/you for Valentine’s Day!
    Hugs to you both,
    Sandi
    P:S: Not good typing words, tears get in my way, & I mess up the key board.

• hope you have a wonderful Valentine day. Sometimes it is hard to get past the day to day depressing thoughts. Try to remember you are a child of God, that you are loved and cared for by him. Your children may be far away from you, but you have children and grand children. Think of the lonely woman that lost her husband before they ever had children. Think of the lonely couple trying to conceive. Think of the child that was orphaned. Volunteer to be a surrogate Grandma. There are so many children that just need a hug or a kind word. YOU ARE A BLESSING, always remember that. God bless.

• Pat Bahan says:

Here’s an idea for you Sandi. A short time ago we found out about something called google hangout. We have 4 children and only one lives in Calgary where we also live. One is in Florida with his wife and our 2 grandsons, one is in Kingston, Ontario with her husband and baby daughter and one is in Victoria, British Columbia with his fiancé. Using google hangout, we can all be on line and visit together. Each family just has to get the app and start connecting. Each location’s picture shows up across the bottom of the screen and the person who is talking shows up full screen. Clicking twice on one of the pics at the bottom will keep that pic full screen. Doing that we could all visit while we kept the large screen pic on the grand kids in Florida so we could watch them open their Christmas gives. It could be a wonderful way to connect on Valentines day. And it’s FREE. Hope this works for you. Enjoy!

Pat

• Caroline. says:

Hi saidie.just want to wish you a happy day .Caroline from Ireland .

14. I really adore this post! I have been trying to get that across for years, I am just not as well spoken as you are. My husband and I have been together since I was 17 and now I am 56. We have been through hell and high water together and sometimes although he’s the sweetest man in the world he thinks that if he can’t or does not get me something that is store bought for the holidays he’s not doing anything. He’s been ill for many years and that brought him to be sort of a grouchy guy now although he’s on the road to recovery….I think he’d fare better healthwise if he would just stop worrying about the big things and focus more on the little things. I love this man with all of my heart…see, I am not well spoken lost my train of thought. LOL Happy Valentines Day everyone!

• Karen Ferguson says:

Susan, I have never replied to any posts but this almost made me bawl. To be with a man and love him so much even after all these years is awesome!! I am so happy for you. I pray you have many more years with your husband.
      Sincerely, Karen Ferguson from Texas.

15. Jackie says:

One night, my bf was working from home, here in the living room where it’s really cold (by the big windows) and he asked me if I “by chance have a hat in my crochet basket”. I didn’t, so he grabbed a hand towel and covered his head with it. Right then I started crocheting him the hat you made for Daniel and now he wears it every time we have to go somewhere and even uses it at work to take naps. LOL. He pulls the brim down so it covers his eyes and snoozes until the phone rings again. He’s a night shift guy in a support center for a hospital.

16. you’ve made me laugh out loud!!! My partner is amazing and shows me he loves me all year round, but I still love getting flowers – he knows my favourite stargazer lilies, and he sometimes has to go out of his way to find them. 🙂

17. Elva Elliott says:

I like your rule that diets do not exist on Valentines Day 🙂 🙂

18. I couldn’t said it better myself Mikey. IT IS ALL about the LITTLE things. Just like you said about the cup of tea when he is out. My husband does that for me when he is out an about. ( I love my WAWA coffee). Its the little things that count. You spend all that money on flowers for them to die 2 days later. Well take care. I’m going to work on my Happy Hearts Afghan. Have a good evening. 🙂

19. For me Valentines Day is about showing the people I love in my life how much I appreciate them 🙂

20. I am single but I have to say well said! We shouldn’t show are love just one day a year anyways.