I’m Really Loose… Loose Crocheter That Is!

Crochet Crowd

Mad Hatter Contest at Creativ Festival, April 25 – 26, 2014

A new video is causing crocheters to be alarmed! How do I say this nicely with no puns intended… I’m just a little ‘loosey goosey crocheter’ as I would say to others. My yarn tension and stitches are loose generally. Even if I tighten up, I fall back into my rhythm of being a generally loose crocheter!

In the Mad Hatters Challenge, being held at Creativ Festival. Many people are emailing in and/or making comments on Facebook about their Top Hats being smaller.

If you look at the original pattern, you will notice the hat doesn’t actually circle the circumference of the model’s head. It sits off to the side. My versions of the hats I am making are following the pattern but because I am loose, my hats are bigger. I’ve seen many versions of these hats and know that my hats are generally bigger because of my own personal technique.

In the case of the Mad Hatter’s Challenge, the general rule is this… If you follow the pattern you are good to go. If your hat is smaller than mine, it probably means you have done it right and have better tension on your yarn!

I followed a pattern last night for a new tutorial that is in the works… I reduced my hook size knowing I am loose but the hat had to be finished 3 lines earlier in order to keep it looking like a beanie verses a potato sack on my head! haha… Man I am dramatic! Seriously though, yarn tension is important, especially in wearables.

This entry was posted in Crochet Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to I’m Really Loose… Loose Crocheter That Is!

1. Sonja davies says:

Can you tell me where to get the yarn used fir the swivel minute to make scarf? Nobody in this town sells it.tis is all new to me I would love to finger crotchet as my eye site is poor and cannot follow patterns.

2. I crochet really tight, sometimes I go up a size. My hat looks much like the picture on the pattern. I was wishing they were bigger. First time I saw Mikey’s purple one, I knew already he crochets loose by watching his videos, but did not know is that much looser than my stitches. I like the look of the bigger version. I think it looks more like what the “Mad Hatter’s” version in all the “Alice in Wonderland” movies and stories to have a really exeragerated top hat, especially shapped with the top much larger than the base, sort of like an upside down v.

3. Dot 35 says:

I think I am just right for my tension!! Time will tell though. Where do I send my finished hat? I’m still working on it though. Would I send the pic to the crochet crowd or to Mikey as an attachment on his email?
    Thanks Dot35

4. Glouise says:

I guess I’m on the fence sometimes I’m loose and then I’n on the tight side what’s a girl to do.

5. I’m so glad to know that my hat will be ok, because I hook really tight, lol. I guess I’m an uptight Hooker, rofl.

6. Carla Rizzie says:

Ok that made me laugh. Potato sack.

7. rolandec57 says:

moi c’est trop serré que je crochette , donc pas de soucis . mais pour un bonnet ou chapeau je crochette mes 1er tour avec un elatique tres fin , voila

8. Judy Kious says:

Lol I tend to always make mine too tight so I go to a bigger hook

9. I have learned that the puns, or Shock Value of it is playful and fun. I work it. I have gone so far as to say ” I have been ‘hooking’ for 40 years, and no matter what I do, it won’t tighten up, I am a loose hooker” as long as i follow it up with an explanation, i feel fine with it. Sometimes you just have to work it baby. By the way, I am officially a middle aged woman, I turn 50 today.

10. Elaine says:

I crochet loose too. At times I go down a size or two in my hook because of that. Sometimes it is hard to get someone who crochets very tightly to go up one or two size hook to make it looser. I don’t usually crochet things that size is so important, so I just continue as usual.

11. mimi says:

yes ! it’s not like a men top hat ! we call it a ” bibi ” in french ! just on the top of the head ! tied with hats pins if necessary ! 😉