The Crochet Crowd Awards & Statistical Info for 2013

Michael Sellick

Michael Sellick, Creative Director and Video Host for The Crochet Crowd

On December 15th, 2013 – January 15th, 2014, we have been running our very first survey. The question was open to anyone that would wish to answer. The voting was protected by computer software to avoid any question from being spammed or showing false results. I’m providing the top 3 answers for each question.

All answers have been rounded up to the nearly full percentage point. Approximately 500 people voted in this process.

Best Crochet Magazine of 2013

• Crochet Today Magazine – 27%
  • Crochet World Magazine- 26%
  • Simply Crochet Magazine – 19%

Yarns Most Preferred by Crochet Crowders

• Red Heart Yarns – 30%
  • Lion Brand Yarns – 22%
  • Bernat – 21%

Best Crochet Hook Brands

• Boye Hooks – 39%
  • Susan Bates – 27%
  • Clover – 11%

Best Free Pattern Crochet Website (Crochet Crowd was Exempt)

• AllFreeCrochet.com – 36%
  • Crochet Pattern Central – 18%
  • FreePatterns.com – 16%

Best Major Retailer for Yarn

• Joannes – 32%
  • Walmart – 23%
  • Michaels Stores – 21%

When Needing Help… What Do You Do?

• Search YouTube for Solutions – 33%
  • Search Conventional Search Engines – 30%
  • Go to Forums / Community Facebook Pages – 19%

Where Do You Get Most of Your Inspiration?

• Search Known Trusted Pattern Websites – 30%
  • Facebook / Community Forums to see what others are doing – 21%
  • Thumb through pattern books – 19%

Patterns Purchased Last Year

• Downloaded Individual Patterns or Pattern eBooks – 40%
  • Bought a physical pattern book – 30%
  • Did not buy any patterns in 2013 – 27%

Can You Read A Pattern

• Can Read Patterns Comfortably – 62%
  • Can Read Patterns But Needs A Bit of Help from Time To Time – 30%
  • Cannot read patterns at all – 2%

Thank you to all who voted. Does any of the information above surprise you? I would love to hear your feedback. Leave me a comment or two below.

This entry was posted in Community Awards & Honours and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to The Crochet Crowd Awards & Statistical Info for 2013

1. Sandi says:

I have one name for all the help I need w/crocheting–MIKEY! He is truly an inspiration!

2. Anonny Mouse says:

I find it very hard to believe that 67% of people know how to search for their own patterns and only 2% can’t read patterns but then again 500 voters out of 200,000 fans is only a very tiny representation. You may find it interesting that only 0.25% of your fans actually voted. I wonder how different the results would have been in a poll of fans from each of the continents individually. I imagine then the results for Favourite yarns, hook brand and shopping destinations would have been quite different. It does not surprise me that the most budget friendly brands were the most popular though.

3. Rosalie Wright says:

I was surprised that only 27% do not buy patterns I would have thought that number to be higher, especially since the number for allfreecrochet.com was such a high number…who knew?

4. Marcela says:

I love crochet, with the internet and a lot free helps like you Mikey I have long time that I dont go to buy any pattern at the store 😀 thank you Mickey!!!

5. Amanda says:

The information is spot on I love allfreecrochet.com but suprised that ravelry was not in top 3. I always turn to youtube first especially if Ive downloaded a pattern and am not sure of the innstructions

Thanks to yourself Cathy and Diva Dan for all that you do and I thank my lucky stars that I found you on youtube when it was mikeysmail x

Amanda

6. Raquel says:

I love The Crochet Crowd website. It does tend to run towards the beginner side (I’ve been crocheting for 30+ years) but they’re fun and enjoyable and have a wonderful fan base.

7. Lisa Garrick says:

I have crocheted for now 45 years and until now with the help your community I am learning new things to make. I only did afgans and dollies before and now I am making hats, scarfs and toys, I have even done some baby booties. Thank you so much for the insight on the new world that has opened up for me.

8. Deborah (Busyfingers) Kearney says:

Thanks for the Survey , I am surprised that Interweave Crochet Magazine & Crochet! wasn’t also included in the best magazine for crochet . They are my favorite for the more detailed patterns . Which is what I like because I like patterns that always challenges my capabilities !

9. Tee DuFresne says:

Wal-Mart coming in second for yarn supplier really shocks me. They don’t carry much yarn at the Wal-Mart’s that I have been to. Joanne’s being first I totally agree with. I buy most my yarn there.

10. Janet Bequeaith says:

I love the video tutorials. I had not crocheted for ten or so years and had forgotten all of the nuances that make for smooth crocheting. The videos allowed me to get right back into hooking and enjoying every minute of it. I’ve been disabled for the last 3 1/2 years, and getting back to crocheting has made life a little easier. Happy hooking everyone.

11. Diane B. says:

Can You Read A Pattern?
    Are you asking about a symbol pattern or a written pattern. I can read the symbols with no problem. But a written pattern may as well be a foreign language to me.

12. I’m not surprised. Unfortunately I didn’t vote (new to the site) but my answers would have been pretty much right there and I’ve been crocheting for 45 years.

13. Nanci says:

Interesting that Clover was not on your list of hooks but had to be entered as other. I love my Clovers.