Crush it Mikey… with Candy Crush

Michael Sellick

Michael Sellick, Creative Director and Video Host for The Crochet Crowd

Addiction is a really powerful thing. It can sideline your current life patterns and suddenly you are in a vortex struggling to break out of it but are lured back.

While in Rome this past December, I noticed people playing Candy Crush on their phones on the subway… not to forget I had seen people playing it on the plane on the way to Europe and in the airports. I stood behind this guy on the Subway in Rome while heading to the Vatican and watched how the game was being played. Hmmm… looks interesting… I can crush stuff too!

Without much delay, I downloaded the game to my iPad while in Rome and I began to play. The quirky music, graphics and that sexy voice saying ‘Devine’ or ‘Sweet’. Makes me happy when this magical sexy voice suddenly approves of my moves… OOH OOH OOH… I’m not trying to make the game alluring now but you can see where my mind is headed.

While on Norwegian Cruise Lines, I was playing along. Other people were ‘crush’n candy and life is great! But then I got hooked! I eventually got to level 31 or 32 and I was stuck. I played hours and hours and hours and more hours just get by this level but it was totally kicking my butt. I was upset, but hooked to not let this game defeat me. Suddenly, that sexy voice isn’t so sweet but a hot tease waiting to be smacked in the face.

I got back from the cruise and tried and tried and tried. It would take me 4 weeks and by this time, I am a drone. I am crushing candy with no enthusiasm and frankly, ready to delete the game. Daniel was jumping up levels, even the level I was stuck on in a matter of minutes. It was during the Christmas Break that I was lying like a fool in bed, knowing I had tutorials to get done at 11 pm and playing this game. Without paying attention, I won the level and was really upset with myself. I was playing it without caring and I couldn’t even savour knowing it was the last move I would make.

Now that I got past this level, I was once again hooked and ready to ‘crush it some more!

Before New Years, I had a frightful thought which was turning into my reality. I was ‘hooked and not in a crochet sense. I was allowing this game to divert me from my responsibilities and personal goals I had. What am I doing? I’m crushing fake candy and feeling awesome about it. I thought… I’m going to break this habit, but just after a few more levels.

Thank gawd for Daniel. Daniel is up at level 108 and I am still in the 60’s somewhere… If I see another chocolate suddenly appear, I am going to blow a gasket. Daniel is crushing it, rubbing my face in it… and he ‘Choo Choo’s as his evil little train goes higher up the levels. I’m thinking the couch may make a great place for him to sleep.

Ticked off with another level that I am again stuck on for days, I just suddenly flipped my switch. I’m sitting there like a fool being satisfied with this game but have nothing to show for it. I’m back as a teenager when my mom was a crochet machine pumping out scarf after scarf after scarf and I am sitting mindless watching Star Trek The Next Generation. I have nothing to show for my hours and hours of time that I have invested into this game… other than a really bad attitude and a craving for red jelly beans!

I picked up my crochet hook once again and starting pumping out tutorial samples and trying new stitches. Again, I am satisfied and I’ve gone to my happy place… at least in the morning when I wake up that when I have stayed up too late and it’s crochet, there’s something fabulous of my dresser to show for my time. When playing Candy Crush… I would wake up and have a clean dresser and hours of wasting time in my past.

I’ve not been addicted to a computer game since Rollercoaster Tycoon. I was so hooked on this game that I would stay up all night not realizing that an entire night had gone by. I swear I wasn’t blinking and without my bladder reminding me to have a break, the nights would instantly go and I would be red eye in the morning… but I had a fabulous theme park with awards coming out the wahoo!

Crochet is my addiction which translates to my passion. It goes well beyond the cyber bringing our ideas from our brains to our hands and into a project. At the end, we have the ability to share ourselves through a finished project and to me… that is the ultimate addiction for me. The self gratification of tangible creativity that can make a tremendous difference in our lives and to those around us.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Crush it Mikey… with Candy Crush

1. susanace1 says:

I am so with you about the Candy Crush addiction. I have made it to level 103 (not showing off, just lettin ya know) with much sweat, tears, and cursing. I have finally decided to give it up. I found the round looms in the store and now I’m addicted to a good thing. I have already made 2 hats! Going to make hats, scarves and more as Christmas presents…something to show for my time. Who needs Candy Crush when you can have a new hat in less time it would take to make it to the next level! 🙂

2. Meddy Lee says:

Candy Crush Saga full of fun game, good time pass, release the office stress. I have visit the cheats codes site http://www.candycrushcheatcodes.com get more lives and candy crush cheat codes. Its very useful.

3. diane says:

Ha ha ha. I’ve made it to level 60 something in a whole year. I was addicted for a while, but finally kicked it. Now I’m back to playing just occasionally when I need a total break from everything.
    Like everyone else, I was frustrated at the end of a candy crushing session with the lack of accomplishment (or sleep) during that time. I’m back to crocheting in my spare time, and loving it.

4. Lori Smith says:

Me, no, I’m not addicted. Oh, wait, gotta go, somebody just sent me a life!

5. kristi de says:

how about channeling that experience with your addiction and the hold it still might have over you – once a candy crush addict… – into an afghan pattern that looks like a candy or a screen shot of the game??? ooooh…. 🙂

6. Lonna Volson says:

I play but I only play until the 5 lives are gone and then
    I’m done. I would never spend money on any online game. I need that money for more yarn! 🙂

7. I was on Level 170 and they pushed me back to 169. Drat! I was on that level for months!~

8. Cheryl says:

I’m stuck on Level 80 for over a month now! My other addiction was The Sims. I did the same as you, I would stay up till all hours of the night just trying to finish that one last thing. Roller Coaster Tycoon and Zoo Tycoon are favorites of mine also but not to that extent!

9. Janice R. says:

It is very addictive but it also ticks you off when you are stuck on a level for days/weeks/months and you feel like quitting…..but then you have to keep playing because of the addiction. LOL

10. When I saw how many people were playing/addicted to this game..I told myself that I would not download it or even open it on fb. I still to this day have honored that pact with myself. For some reason, it got to me, to see how people were acting over this game. Don’t get me wrong, I have had my love affairs, i.e. addictions with other games like the poker games on fb, ruzzle, song pop, etc. but I now have ended all my gaming and feel much better about how I spend my time.

11. It’s evil I tell you … evil! LOL!
    Hello, my name is Connie, and I am an addict! I too have fallen into the candy black hole. It’s dark and deep and every candy I crush only makes me slide deeper. And now with the dream levels OMG!
    Actually, I have taken a big step away! I too realized that there was nothing coming from it. I am back to my hook and the results are visable and beautiful!
    I do play, but it’s only when I need a break from the hook and only one or two games, just to keep ahead of hubby! LOL

Remember … the hook is mighter than the candy!

12. Andrea Jaume says:

I am addicted to a few games on Facebook and Candy Crush is one of them. I used to play several times a day, but since Thanksgiving when the “Crochet Crush” was on, I have found myself going days, sometimes weeks without playing **sigh** Now I get a text message from my kids and grandkids asking me to log on so I can help them to the next level, and then while I am there, I just have to play a round or two 🙂

I have several projects in the works that I am trying to get finished so I can start new ones and then I probably will feed my addiction again 🙂 Thanks Mikey. Maybe we should design a Candy Crush inspired something for a challenge 🙂

13. Robin Howell says:

I too have played and been addicted and I am currently stuck on some level, not sure what because I put the game away on the computer (Facebook) and the iPad and have NOT played it since like October, 2013. I am done with it I think. People (friends) always request this or that from me, but I don’t have time to send the things. I have a life and I need to do things for me. I watch young parents ignore their small children just so they can “reach that next level” and then keep on playing. I don’t like what I see with all the new technology and games that can be taken anywhere you go. 😦 Okay that is my rant. LOL I will go back to my hook and yarn and maybe, just maybe this year learn how to do something with needles as well. Love you Mikey!!!

14. Elaine O. says:

I’m on level 425… when I get stuck on a level, I google “Candy Crush Saga Level ___ tips” and see what strategy I should be following. Sometimes there are very definite tips, like “when you make the move to go from 31 moves left to 30, do it in an open column, because it will introduce a fruit to be dropped down.”

15. Ann Dennis says:

Lucky for me I kicked my addiction at level 30 something, but not on my own. My cute little grandson needed mittens, hats, and sweaters. So with my frustration at not getting the level after a week I quit the game and blocked it so it wouldn’t tempt me again. Hat and mittens done and the (knitted) sweater is 1/2 done.

16. Debbie McNeice says:

I had heard about this addiction with Candy Crush, so I have stayed away from it completely. It is bad enough that I spend hours looking at and downloading crochet patterns from the ‘net with out adding something else to cause me to lose time. LOL

17. Pat Tee says:

I’m glad I’m not alone in my addictions! 🙂

18. Lois says:

This is why I have the sound on my computers turned off. That and dog videos – my pack goes nuts if they hear other dogs.

19. Paula says:

Im a Candy Crush addict myself. Currently stuck on level 500…yes, I said 500! There are only 515 levels to this game until the developers come up with more……..

20. Tina says:

I am hooked on that game as well. Although now that Crochet has come back into my life, I only play the game while out and about. When I am home it is all crochet. From the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. There are time when I do go back to the game, only when I am trying to think of what to crochet next.

21. I too have known this addiction that is candy crush, and same as you I got aggravated that I was wasting precious time that I could have been crocheting or knitting, so I did this, I set a timer for one hour and play, then I do what I need to get done, I play my games an hour in the morning an hour in the afternoon and an hour in the evening. BTW some levels on candy crush suck air lol.

22. Donna says:

It’s ok MIkey, I too am addicted to Candy Crush. Unlike you, I have not broken my habit. At least I haven’t spent any money on it though 😉

23. Serafina says:

Yeah, my husband rubs it on my face too that he’s ahead, haha