Insulting or Good Humour… What Do You Think?

AllFreeCrochet, Crochet Crowd.

Jenny, Editor of AllFreeCrochet.com and Mikey of TheCrochetCrowd.com

Crocheters sometimes refer to themselves as a ‘Hooker’… the pun is obvious as it’s implied with our crochet hooks.

I often refer to myself as a hooker and I do so because it’s in good humor… but often I hear others who are so offended by the term.

Jenny, AllFreeCrochet’s Editor and I are two hookers at heart! We laugh about it because it sounds naughty but it’s a fun play on words and we both get the context.

In your opinion, is the term Hooker when implied to crocheters considered good humor or just outright being rude? Share in the comments below your thoughts?

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

701 Responses to Insulting or Good Humour… What Do You Think?

1. Denise says:

When I travel with my mother-in-law and two sisters-in-law we call ourselves the “Madam and her Hookers”. We all crochet and have fun with the term. It’s just for fun.

2. HenBren says:

Ummmm we are hookers. Hookers with yarn.

3. Pat says:

Humor. Sometimes people just need to get a life. I love the names we come up with to call ourselves.

4. Patricia A. Gerstein says:

50 years ago, when I was in my 20’s I would’ve been insulted, now I just laugh!

5. Janette says:

Only crocheters understand this is all in fun…..If you are insulted by this, then you are wound a little to tight…..

6. I hooking, so Hooker is fitting. 🙂

7. Ellen Kliman says:

When my middle son was Bar Mitzvahed many years ago, I crocheted all of the yamulkes. During the service the Rabbi, all in jest of course, referred to me as the ‘Temple Hooker’. That was 1997 and all in attendance that day (and others who were told of the comment later) still bring this up today. I suppose there are worst things in this world, and I simply consider it humorous and a memory we all will share!

8. Fern Palmer says:

Just plain old good humor!!! Some people just take things too far to think anything less than that.

9. Dorothy says:

It’s all in fun. People need to give up on being so politically correct any enjoy themselves/ Loosen up people.I am a proud Hooker

10. Juanita Herrick says:

Some people just have dirty minds

11. Kathleen Johnson says:

I don’t really care for it because there is soooo much crude humor out there that we are constantly being exposed to. I’d like a break. But, I don’t get offended by it either.

12. Gayle says:

I LOVE the term! To see the looks on peoples faces when I say I’m a Happy Hooker is priceless especially if there’s no yarn in sight! Of course, then is when I get to tell them about my totally fabulous art!

13. Cindy says:

If someone can’t find the fun in a play on words, then they should hang out with fun people more often! If you’re using a hook, then you’re a hooker! (c; (If you’re fishing with a smile on your face, you might just be another type of happy hooker!) It’s healthy to laugh at ourselves and grin over such things!

14. Nancy says:

Good humor!! I love being a Crochet Hooker.

15. Linda says:

Just like beauty, intelligence, and a million other things, humor is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. There are always people out there just waiting to be offended about something. I have no problem being called a “hooker,” It’s an elite club that I’m proud to be part of.
    I

16. Valda McGillivray says:

good humour…I am a very happy hooker…also here in Western Australia we have a real estate company called Hookers!!!!!

17. shelley jones says:

good humor! you have to have it be a hooker!

18. Tina Marie says:

Humor. Absolutely. I’m proud to be a hooker.

19. This old world sure gives us enough to worry about every day. A little humor can go a long way. I’d say hats off to all us hookers. Hip Hip Hooray. 🙂

20. Donna Hunkeapillar says:

Just plain fun! Humor of course!

21. Gini Sherk says:

I love it! Call MYSELF ‘THE HAPPY HOOKER’! :

22. Elizabeth I. says:

Definitely fun and in good humour!

23. Linda Dashiell says:

It’s in good humor!! I love it!! But I’m also addicted to crochet, so what else could I say? Love what you do Mikey!! There was a time not so long ago that I thought crochet was a dying art. Thanks to you, Diva Dan, Cathy, and anyone else on your team, it’s no longer the case. I am getting ready to send a beginner crochet kit to my great-niece. She showed an interest in learning it. I intend to turn her onto the Crochet Crowd’s YouTube channel. Once we get moved back to Maryland, I hope to spend time with her and helping her learn. She has two little sisters and one big brother to teach as well. From one hooker to another, thank you.

24. Jeannine Martin says:

oh humor of course

25. Lucinda says:

I think it is Good Humour and appropriate after all, we are all crocheting with a hook, and I know I am one Happy Hooker!

26. Donita Borton says:

Probably already said but I’ll say it again….if crocheting burned more calories I’d be one skinny hooker!

27. Joycelyn Martin says:

I find nothing wrong with it . I don’t find that it is insulting , I love being a crochet hooker. Some people need to get a sense of humour. I say ” GOOD HUMOR !”

28. PATRICIA SPRING says:

IT’S ALL IN FUN SO I AM SAYING GOOD HUMOUR, THERE’S NOT ENOUGH.

29. jtking95 says:

I have T-shirts I’ve made over the years… I love being a “hooker”. I’m one of the youngsters here at only 55, but I will be a hooker until my last days or until my hands give out…

30. Patty Alert says:

I’m a happy “hooker” always handling some furry “balls” (of yarn) LOL

31. Kathryn Paulson says:

in good fun…and I am a Crochet Hooker

32. I love being a Happy Hooker, it is just for fun and makes a lot of since when you look at the hook and what we do with it. Angel hugs and Happy Hooking

33. Kacey says:

I think it’s funny. My grandmother saw the cover of my Happy Hooker book and was somewhat confused 🙂

34. Becky Dirlam says:

Come now, I have, with tongue in cheek, referred to myself as a middle-aged loose hooker. It makes me happy, and I intend to continue.
    There is no foul, unless the person who is offended makes a stink over it. I have no problem with a woman referring to herself as a mother, and we all know where that can go.

35. lol, my, my, my, how one word can cause so many people to let their brains slide to the sleezy side of life……I’m a “hooker”, my moma was a “hooker”, my grandmother was a “hooker” and I’m quite sure my great grandmother was a “hooker” also. That’s how we all learned to crochet, it’s passed down from generation to generation…..yes, the word is a pun but it’s our (crocheters) fun way to relate to each other…..it’s the nay sayers that want to put the negative adjective on what we consider a fun noun. Keep your heads high and those hooks a flying……after all that’s what we “Hookers” love to do best.

36. Whitney B says:

It’s all in good fun… Why I ordered one of these in a tshirt and hoodie 🙂

Soo love it!

37. Vinjette says:

Maybe the question should be “How do prostitutes feel when they are called hookers, a term used by people who make blankets and hats?” Tow truck drivers also get called hookers. The term is only bad taste if your mind goes there and thinks it is bad. I make things and when I am I’m hooking. When I ride my bike my brother says I’m pedalling my *** around time. Boy I am really in trouble. It’s all in fun, it makes us smile and we need way more laughter in this world. I’m all for it.

38. I love it because I am a Happy Hooker.

39. Tammy says:

Great fun! I am a proud hooker!

40. Ingrid says:

I think everyone should take it in the spirit it is intended. We aren’t a bunch of pruddish old ladies here.

41. shirley says:

I am a happy hooker and proud of it

42. Sue Messina says:

Every time I use the term, I giggle. By the way, my mom is a 90 year old “hooker”. And one of the best.

43. Kay Kopas says:

I call myself a hooker cause my yarn & hook go with me everywhere!