Fan Question: How Far Do You Go…

Michael Sellick

Michael Sellick, Creative Director and Video Host for The Crochet Crowd

A fan has asked an interesting question. A question that really hasn’t been formally asked of me before. I think the question is interesting and warranted a public response.

Mikey, most celebrities wear make up when filming their shows. Do you wear make up when filming videos for YouTube?

I do not wear make up generally. I have done so in the past long before The Crochet Crowd. I used to wear some light cover up around my eyes as I had a blemish under my one eye for a long time that bothered me when looking into the mirror. With make up, it’s a pain to remove and I cannot be bothered.

In the past, when I applied make up, I see a false sense of myself in the mirror. Suddenly, my personal characteristics of rosie cheeks and more were removed with the cover up. It may make me look perfect, skin wise, but it’s not who I am.

I did apply make up to my hand once for a video tutorial. I had fallen down the stairs carrying a computer monitor. My left back of hand has scrapped against the concrete wall causing deep scratches that were bleeding and large scabbing after my ordeal. In order to keep on my filming schedule, I applied make up to my injured hand to prevent it from being a distraction in my teaching. It’s never been called to my attention so obviously the make up did wonders. I don’t even remember what video that was today.

So the general question is ‘No, I don’t wear make up as a general rule for YouTube Videos or for doing any live appearances. I am who I am!

This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Fan Question: How Far Do You Go…

1. Mikey kudos to you. We love you just as you are. It is what’s inside that matters.

2. Mari Collins says:

How do I send pictures of my work to you? I ‘be just finished a throw and would like to share.

3. Rosalie Wright says:

I think Michael has great skin tone naturally, if he were on a television set in a real studio I’m sure staff would suggest spray tan or makeup only because telelvison lights wash out a person but for just utube and personal appreaances I don’t see the need.

4. Sue McEndree says:

I don’t ever use make up. I found out a long time ago that even the hypoallergenic types would still break my skin out, so I don’t use it. What you see is what you get! If you don’t like my looks, look the other way!

5. Kimberly Blanks says:

I to have to agree. I personally don’t like make up. I feel that you get what you see. Nothing to hide. The people around me said that they think I should, that I would be prettier. God made me this way and I want his work to shin though because there is only one like me. If I wear make up then I am trying to look like everyone else. Thanks for the question Mikey.

6. Gail Carroll says:

Good article, Mikey!!

7. Tincey Bate says:

I so agree with you. I always feel so fake in make-up and avoid it like the plague (a light touch at weddings only – like my ironing). There is a lot of pressure on women to wear it though. Magazines even do (mainly) snarky articles on women without it. Work colleagues often expect it and a lot of people believe it shows laziness, or lack of pride to go without.

8. Ann Dennis says:

You have put into words exactly what I think myself, Mikey. Makeup to assist in clarity is useful but makeup to make yourself look perfect is not. In many cases people that wear a lot ( and I mean obviously a lot, think Tammy Fae) are trying to cover up something they don’t like inside themselves. I’ve also observed some people that can’t face the day without makeup look so colorless with out it. I think that is because their skin never sees the kind of sun that would add natural color to their faces and that should concern people because we are a population that is Vitamin D deficient and we get much of that directly from the sun.

9. janice says:

And we love you, Just as you are!!