More About Cathy Cunningham, Mikey’s Assistant

Mikey

Pete & Cathy Cunningham

There’s not a lot of photos of Cathy, my assistant. Yes… she’s a real person and I thought I would take an opportunity to introduce you to Cathy and how we met.

Firstly, meet Cathy and her husband Pete. Cathy is 38 and so is her husband! Look how young he looks! He must be bathing in ‘Oil of Olay’. I’m a huge Cathy supporter as she provided such an enriching environment for The Crochet Crowd. Behind the scenes, her husband is so incredibly supportive, sweet and can I say? Easy on the eyes! Cathy has two boys that are in their teenage years.

As Cathy would say, “I love to take care of all of my boys!” This includes her husband, but not in a childish sense. She jokes that she also takes care of Daniel and I which is part of ‘all of my boys’ comment. Truthfully, she does take care of us too and we are extremely grateful for it. Cathy loves to help others and try her best to see others’ needs are taken care of before her own. Cathy and I have that in common which makes us a power team for The Crochet Crowd.

Though Cathy doesn’t know this part. While she went to the ladies room at the restaurant the other night. Pete was raving how proud he was of her and the appreciation he has for Daniel and I to include her as a friend and be part of our business model. Cathy and her husband have moved a lot due to his career. With each move, the entire family is up-rooted and friendships developed in a community fade away and they end up in a strange city. The Crochet Crowd has given Cathy a consistent environment because when she leaves a city for another, The Crochet Crowd is simply just a login away and long lasting friendships have developed. As I have always said to numerous people, we can run The Crochet Crowd from virtually anywhere as we can log in and participate in our fun no matter where life takes us.

Cathy and I have only met each other twice in the 5 years we have been running The Crochet Crowd together. I know that is hard to believe. We talk nearly everyday about the operations and ideas for The Crochet Crowd.

Over the years, I have taught Cathy to be an excellent Social Media Director. Truth is, we both have been learning along the way. I was saying to her over the weekend that her level of engagement, enthusiasm and much more that makes a fabulous Social Media Director, has greatly improved. I do a lot of puns and one liners on The Crochet Crowd. The don’t want The Crochet Crowd to be stuffy and prime and proper. Enthusiasm for arts doesn’t usually come with being prime and proper. It’s about jumping up and down in the yarn aisles when there’s a sale or a pattern that is too incredible not to crochet! Cathy has always been a little nervous of that type of engagement but I have to say, she is really developed quirky and fun little sayings. I find myself laughing at her sayings. I’m actually really proud of her because I know it was outside of the box of norm for her. You can usually tell when Cathy makes the comment over me as she will put a WINK face after the statement or say -Cathy at the end.

Cathy is a very private person and you won’t see many pictures or personal information being shared. In fact, in the beginning she had a fake name on Facebook and Facebook cracked down and deleted her from Facebook. Oh the horror!

Behind the scenes of The Crochet Crowd can be really blunt and hard to deal with on certain days. Like everyone else, sometimes comments or emails are hard to let bounce off you without taking it personal. In many ways, Cathy is my sounding board when I am feeling pinned up against a wall as she rallies support to listen and guide. Some days, some situations get too much for her to handle and here I am offering advice and a sounding board. It’s not an easy job some days.

The Crochet Crowd development today is a direct result of being teamed together with Cathy.

Cathy and I met online in 2009. I put out a call asking for volunteers to help me. We had a team of 10 people but Cathy was the only one that stuck it out. Originally just a volunteer position ended up turning into a valuable member of our team.

Like any good relationships, when we met a couple days ago. She owed me a few punches! I made a few decisions without checking with her first. We have a fabulous friendship behind the scenes as well as professional working relationship.

In life, I think people are meant to meet each other along the journey.

This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to More About Cathy Cunningham, Mikey’s Assistant

1. Diane says:

I’m so glad I popped over to read this article. What a great friendship and partnership you and Cathy have. That’s something to treasure. You can laugh together, support each other when the other is down, and inspire each other. And, we get the wonderful benefit of that. Thanks to all of you for all you do to make this such a great blog. The minute I heard about the cruise I wanted to go. Now I REALLY want to after seeing the pictures and reading your posts. And, as fun as I am sure the cruise is, it’s a heck of a lot of work for you. So, thank you again for that. One day I hope to go on the cruise with you!!!

2. Sue says:

Cathy is a lucky girl.

3. Laura C says:

You shouldn’t make any comments about the relative attractiveness or unattractiveness of your assistant Cathy’s spouse. This could make him uncomfortable and is inappropriate. You potentially create an environment of sexual harassment. This would apply whether you are straight or gay. If you were straight and your assistant was male and had an attractive, young appearing female partner it would be just as inappropriate, as his employer or coworker, for you to make any comments relating to the looks of the female partner. This applies whether that person is or potentially would be attracted to you or not.

4. Your focus was more on Cathy’s husband, than on Cathy.

5. Cathy is a joy, I love the smiley faces and things she says to people and when she repins one of my pins in Pinterest for the Crochet Crowd I feel flattered that she likes it. All 3 of u Thank u from the bottom of my heart for all the hard work u do

6. Marcela says:

Thank you sharing your story with us, now I feel more close to you all, I love all the things you do to help us… Congratulations!!

7. Mary says:

I agree. Cathy has helped me a couple of times. Just her posting a kind word about my projects gave me a great deal of encouragement. Thanks for being there.

8. Bonnie Hanson says:

Cathy is such a grand lady and I love her comments and suggestions. When you took time off to recharge, she really bloomed and that was such a joy to behold!

9. anniesquilts says:

What a lovely introduction! I can tell you from personal experience that when I’m having “One of Those Days” all I need to do is log onto The Crochet Crowd site and my day brightens considerably. Thank you all for your hard work, the easy to understand lessons, your positive outlook, the fun and laughter and the incredible kindness that shines through it all. You are a great team!

10. Cathy says:

I have found that Cathy encouragements are with kindness and sweetness. She does a wonderful job holding down the fort for you and I love that she is more active ( we can now see her and tell if it her on the site.) Glad that Cathy is a part of your team and that was really sweet Mikey.

11. Sherry says:

What a lovely introduction! I can tell you from personal experience that when I’m having ‘one of those days’ all I have to do is check out The Crochet Crowd and my day brightens considerably. Thank you for the creative lessons, the fun and laughter, the positive attitude and especially the incredible kindness that shines through it all! You are a great team!

12. Rosalie Wright says:

Behind every great man there’s a strong woman ….Cathy does a great job holding down the fort and keeping things going. I truly appreciate all she does behind the scenes. I hope to meet her one day we have a lot in common…I too am a wife of a veteran so I understand the lifestyle of active duty families. Please tell Cathy’s husband that we thank him for his service and we salute him and the family for what they go thru.

13. Martha says:

Every good company has the best admins working there. However that you are all a family makes it something better than a job. Thank you Cathy for the hard work, bless your family for being so supportive of your work.

14. Gail Carroll says:

I agree, some people are destined to meet, we just don’t know when, where, or how. All of you make an awesome team and it shows every single day! I’ve wondered about Cathy’s story so thanks for sharing. And yes, Pete is easy on the eyes. lol

15. evelyn overman says:

I am so glad that Cathy is part of the team. She seems to complete the team. I love reading and seeing what the three of you come up with for your viewers.

16. angelz says:

awwwww this is so sweet of u Mikey… very few people show such public appreciation for those they work with… i am glad u gave credit where credit is due…. in my books this makes u a real genuine good hearted loving person Kudos to u and The Crochet team