If I Died Tomorrow… This is What I Would Want You To Remember of Me!

Mikey, Crochet Crowd

The Top Hat Ladies at the Knit and Crochet Show

I get discouraging emails from people who cross compare their lives, their skills and make assumptions based on what others have achieved or have ‘perceived’ to have achieved.

Though society claims to be community oriented and for the betterment of human kind, truth is this… and some of you will jump up and say Halleluiah and others will be in strong self denial. We as a human race are conditioned to be competitive and selfish. This my friends is what leads many of us, including me, into depressive states of mind and much more.

Today, while reading the inbox. A woman is really down on herself that she is unable to accomplish what others have on The Crochet Crowd. The projects she does isn’t to the caliber of others posting. She’s upset and feels she will never be good enough.

LISTEN MY CROCHETER FRIENDS

If I died tomorrow, please remember this of me.

1. Your self worth is doing the very best you can.
  2. We are not meant to have equal skills. We each have skills and dreams that differ from each other. The skills Daniel has are skills I don’t have but I have other skills he doesn’t. Instead of fighting it and being jealous of it, we work together to create the ultimate dream team working environment. We embrace the differences we have instead of trying to over take each other.
  3. Your attitude can change your day and life instantly. If you are a negative individual, you will attract negative people and negative situations. If you are positive and look at life with optimism, it will give your day an unbelievable radiance that carries you through.
  4. You will go farther in life by working together than by trying to be better than everyone else.
  5. You will always have someone that will kick your butt in anything you do. The key is trying not to let it get to you.
  6. Each of us bring something valuable to society. We all have value. It could be your skills, attitude, friendliness, kindness and much more.

My friends, it’s not about who is better or trying to achieve what your neighbour has… it’s about sharing and community. It’s about praising others with positive comments and thoughts as it will come back to you. The saying of “Give and you shall receive” isn’t about giving money and receiving it back, in my opinion… it’s about giving yourself and being thoughtful and courteous… it’s not monetary… but humanitarian. Once we all get that… this blue spec of dust that we ride around on the solar system will be a much nicer place to be.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

103 Responses to If I Died Tomorrow… This is What I Would Want You To Remember of Me!

1. Pam says:

Mikey, your message here is so on point. We’re subject to on-line nastiness daily. I love that your sight is always supportive and happy. Thanks!

2. Colleen says:

I am so excited, I could see something was not quite right with my rugs, so with a renewed confidence, I found out what I was doing wrong, and I fixed the problem! I have now started a new rug, and it is beautiful. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou so much for your encouragement.

3. Carol Boljevic says:

Amen! Well stated, Mikey!

4. Leslie Ayres says:

That was a very nice piece Mikey! I agree with your way of thinking all the way!

5. Bo Ekman says:

“Be yourself, otherwise there will be none like you!”
    Hope that saying makes sence to you all. It just came to my mind after readiing your email, Mike.
    In everything we can only compare ourselft with ourself. You are you, and you are good enough!
    Keep up your good work, Mike. Never change. You are insprational!
    Bo

6. Ruth says:

so very true!

7. Charlotte says:

It’s sad that people have to always find something negative when people are trying to be positive. I for one am eternally grateful for what you do. My Mom crocheted, my sisters crochet and at one time I vowed I would never crochet. I just didn’t get it. Then I needed a blanket n said I would try again. I found your website and learned through your tutorials. Then I found your challenges and decided I would “challenge” myself to see if I could do it. I love them. Not south to compete with others but to test my own skills. So I thank you for that. When someone post a pic of there creations I find it so amazing that they created such beautiful pieces. When someone asks me how to crochet I immediately refer them to your site and tell them how great an instructor you are. So from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!

8. Laine Tainton says:

I really hope you and Daniel know how much you and what you do means to people. Thank you

9. HI MIKEY MY PERSONAL FAVORITE IS YOU HAVE TO LOVE LIFE TO LIVE AND LIVE LIFE TO LOVE IT DO WHAT YOU CAN TO DAY AND DO NOT WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW WHEN TODAY IS GONE TOMORROW HAS COME BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE THAT’S WHAT COUNTS AND MATTERS NOT WHAT OTHERS DO BUT RATHER WHAT YOU DO MAKE YOUR VERY BEST
    EVELYN

10. Patricia S says:

I may be a little late with this, but I appreciate this post. As far as the crocheting part goes, I started when I was 19 and am 62 now but I’m only barely touching being an intermediate crocheter. Why? Time. Now I can spend a lot of time on it and I’m loving learning more and more things and gaining confidence. I, too, have felt sheepish about sharing my efforts due to comparing myself with others. I’m vowing not to do that anymore. I’d rather experience the pleasure and awe that someone’s work incites in me and the pride I actually feel about my own efforts and progress.

11. Sue says:

All of our Crochet Crowd friends are lifted up in the support of one another’s individual creativity, a willingness to teach new things, and to try new things. The saddest thing I hear is “oh what beautiful crochet! I could NEVER do that!”. It’s the people who are willing to try that are an inspiration. 🙂

12. Reblogged this on Oombawka Design and commented:
    Very eloquently said –

13. Barbara says:

Mickey, what profound words. I so needed to hear this right now. I too deal with disappointments from people outdoing me or able to do something I can not. Thanks for the reminder we are human.

On another note, I have 3 people at my work following you tutorials on how to crochet on you tube. Go Mickey! You are teaching the world!!!

14. Brenda says:

Priceless!

15. carolyn says:

THANK YOU FOR THIS VERY UPLIFTING MESSAGE—YOU ARE SO KIND —IT PROVES THAT EVEN ONE PERSON CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE —TODAY YOU MADE A DIFFERENCE IN MY LIFE
    CAROLYN

16. Mary says:

If I died tomorrow I would want people to know that I am with The Lord My Savior and they can know Him too. Just ask Him to come into your life and change you from the inside and the outside will be beautiful!

17. Joni says:

Very well said!

18. Jude Maree says:

Each of us us is a note in this symphony wr call “Life”. Every one of us has equal value. The symphony would not be complete without the “note” each one of us contributes to the music.
    My “note” is no better or worse than yours – it as important as any other to the colour and beauty of the music.
    We all have gifts to share. Some of these are skills (like crochet) but the most important are inner gifts such as tolerance, Love, patience and empathy. Crochet alone will not help to heal this planet but the inner gifts of the crochet community will make a huge difference if shared.
    Love from Australia
    Jude Maree

19. Lyn Smith says:

What great advice Mikey – I have run a craft group here in Australia for the past 8 years and I have seen many ladies discouraged because of others who like to let everyone know how much they have done. Our group is a charity, so my advice has always been “It is not how much you do, it is the fact that you do at all.” One beanie still protects and keeps a head warm during chemo, one pair of bootees still keeps a young baby warm, wherever the need, “we make a difference, a stich at a time”. The other thing to remember is that everyones circumstances are different, a stay at home mum with several children is never going to have the time in the day to produce the same amount of items as a retiree, with no children at home. Just be grateful that you have the talent to knit, crochet or sew, and that you are able to share it with others. Have a wonderful creative year everyone, and remember that the only person who puts pressure on you, is yourself!
    Lyn

20. Karen Rock says:

Lovely. I so agree, Mikey. Take good care. You are a good soul.

21. Beth says:

Mikey, well said! I feel lucky to have found The Crochet Crowd community, I have been crocheting more this last year because of all the encouraging remarks that they give everyone.
    I feel like if it doesn’t look quite right, you can always rip & redo! Never have I heard any bad remarks from Mikey nor any of the wonderful Crochet Crowd staff! My advice just keep on going, you’ll be surprised how much you improve as you go along! Good luck!

22. RosaLinda says:

I read your wonderful letter . I read my sister crocheter letters.Which were the best they are true believers and very strong. You always got to be trying.. Yes we love you Mikey, plus your a great person. wonderful Teacher. What I learn I teach, to someone else. When a child wants to learn that makes my heart sing! Thank You for being here. May the Blessing of Christ always be with Y’all. RosaLinda

23. Michelle says:

Thank you Mikey!! This is WONDERFUL!!! You hit the nail on the head!!! I hope it touched every person that read it!!! God bless you!!!!

24. Michelle says:

I’ve had the distinct pleasure of helping a few of my freinds learn how to do a few basic knitting & crochet stitches. They each learned in very different ways. I guess my suggestion to anyone struggling to take their skills to the next level would be to see if there is a class they can take in their area. Some can learn with a video, others need hands on. (I get a new stitch each time my mom visits). The ways we learn are just as varied as we are. Don’t get discouraged! Lots of folks get intimidated because it looks hard & they don’t try. You’re trying! I saw a cartoon recently that said,”I wave a stick around in the air & something appears! My freinds call it magic. I call it crochet.” Good luck fellow crocheters! Keep creating. 🙂

25. Thankyou Mikey we love you, you are a great Teacher.

26. Colleen Waters says:

I was beginning to think my crochet is not up to others, but having read the words you wrote, I realise I give it my best , and no-one could ask for more, not even me! Colleen.

27. Pat says:

Thank you for this wonderful reminder

28. Maria Cruz-Lugo says:

Mickey, I’ve been you follower for two years now. I could perceive that you are a great person and with comment you left, your confirm that you are a wonderful, compassionate, graceful human being. This old lady had great admiration for you. Keep the good work.

29. Samia says:

Mikey – You are a very special person who has touched the lives of many. Your generosity goes much further than free crochet tutorials – its your generous spirit that makes you the kind and caring person you are. God bless you.

30. Peggy Daniels says:

Wonderful words Mikey! We are all given special gifts. It’s not what others do or how good they do it, it’s what you do with your best effort. Some people may not be able to do what you do, but I am positive they are blessed in other ways. Be happy with whatever talents you have and don’t think of what you can’t do. Be POSITIVE and THANKFUL.

31. Dianna says:

What a lovely website, blog, and community!

32. Donna Harris says:

Whoever this person was putting themself down please don’t..We all started somewhere and we have to learn somewhere and all you is time, patience, and practice and the love for yarn and the beautiful things you can make with them

33. Gail E. Kraft says:

Mikey, in the story that you told about the woman who was so down on herself because her projects didn’t turn out nearly as good as other’s projects. She should know that we all had to start as beginners, making a lot of mistakes along the way. With practice, we improve and get more confident and our projects start looking like we should sell them for a lot of money. Crocheting is supposed to be relaxing, at least that is how I think of it. I was in the Canadian Military for almost 23 years. I just retired two years ago and am really glad that I continued with my favourite hobby. Crocheting! When I used to come home, after a really long and stressful day in the Military, I would immediately go to my latest project and work on if for at least one hour. That calmed me down and relaxed me. I really didn’t care what my work looked. It was a stress release for me. Mind you, I have been crocheting for over 30 years so I do sell my projects. Just tell that lovely woman just to relax, enjoy the hobby and take her time learning and practicing. She’ll be fine.

By the way, Mikey. I love your videos. You are an excellent instructor. Take care and God bless you for who you are. 🙂

P.S. I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. We love you here.

34. lellieb says:

This article really hit home for me as it mirrors my personal philosophy. I was injured at work in 1999 with led to the contraction of a chronic pain disease called rsd/crps over my entire body and even effecting my internal organs. According to the National Institute of Health it is the most painful disease you can have. I live with severe pain 24/7, 365 days a year and have an indwelling morphine pump which gives me a steady stream of medication. There are days when the pain is so severe that touching me can send me to the hospital. I have Been in a wheelchair for five years
    The thing that gets me thru this is crochet. Even tho it hurts to grip the hook I do it. I can’t imagine not crocheting. It lifts my spirits when I get that burst of inspiration or when I look at a finished project . Crochet gives me purpose, a reason to get up in the morning, a reason to fight the pain. I can’t crochet as fast as some of you and I might not be able to achieve the same level as others but it doesn’t matter. Crochet fills my heart with joy and has added quality to my life and that’s all that matters.
    I want to thank the crochet crowd, especially Mikey and Dan for being an inspiration. I love this site and look forward to seeing what’s next!

• Elaine Ray says:

YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION and dont even know it by your courage to keep going and do what you can…you bless me….

• Karen Rock says:

lellieb,
      I have also been a chronic pain patient since 2006 so I know how you feel. I, too, look forward to crocheting for everything good it brings to my life. May God Bless You and Take Good Care….and Happy Crocheting!
      Karen

• lellieb says:

Thanks Karen. It’s nice to hear from someone who knows what your really talking about. Last year my pain mgmt clinic held a craft fair celebrating those of us who craft. It was a huge success and they are planning to turn it into an annual event. . The one thing I couldn’t understand tho was that I was the only Crocheted! Mt pt has asked me to teach her and I’ve discovered a lot of the staffcochet site recommended that they join the fun here. I send you my hopes and prayers for low pain days and hope we can chat soon. (you can find me under Leslie Coggin, BHAM al on facebook)

• Cara Worland says:

My sister has RSD so I know how rough it is for you. She, too, has an implanted morphine pump and is getting ready to have another spinal stimulator implanted. It is hard to watch her go through this. It has been about 14 years for her. I am glad that crochet brings you joy.

• lellieb says:

Thank you. I’m sorry your sister has to fight the monster. I hope that the stim helps her.. I had one and it helped but the leads fractured so they had to remove it and then couldn’t replace it because of scar tissue. I will be praying for her and you. I know it’s rough on my family too. Just keep being strong for her.

35. Cozette says:

I agree with you completely. I can’t crochet daily because I have fibromyalgia, so I do what I can when I can. I am happy because I can.

36. Judy says:

Thank you Mikey! Your enthusiasm is contagious! Your messages always come out when I begin to doubt if what I do really matters at all. I know it does, and that someone appreciates my projects. Especially on the cold winter days when a nice scarf or cap helps keep someone warm. It feels so good to finish a project and know that someone, somewhere will know that they are loved and being thought of, even if we don’t know each other personally.

37. Beth says:

Thank you Mikey. You are my inspiration. Your video’s gave me the gumption to learn to crochet, and I’m loving it with all I’m worth. I’ve done afghans, dish cloths and now hats, by the bushel-full. Don’t know where they’re going, but they are a gift to do. And that’s the joy, just doing. The “why” may or may not come at another time.

For all you do Mikey, you are a gift to the world. Thank you for being you. And thanks to all of us, each one individually awesome and blessed.

38. Kimmy Burrow says:

This was wonderful. 🙂

39. Lara says:

This couldn’t have come on a better day Mikey. I have been feeling defeated in a few things and one is this crochet square that I have been fighting with for a week now. I finally decided that this pattern is just not for me. Maybe it is written perfectly, maybe not. (not from Crochet Crowd btw) but I am just going to let it go. I don’t need to feel defeated. I need to move on. Lots of things in our lives make us feel defeated, but darned if I am going to let a pattern get to me. Your words lifted me today like nobody else could! Thank you Mikey!! ❤

40. Kathy McConnell says:

Well said Mikey!

41. Sandra says:

the magnet on my fridge says..”The difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude” your note says it all…..thanks