Mikey’s New Year’s Resolutions for Hookers

Michael Sellick

Michael Sellick, Creative Director and Video Host for The Crochet Crowd

Well it’s that time of year again… you know the time… the time when we make unrealistic New Year’s Resolutions that really don’t fit our lifestyle. Most of us want and need change but we are creatures of habit and fall right off the list and carry on with life.

Diva Dan and I were in the car this morning talking about resolutions and thinking of items we should add to the list. It occurred to us really quickly that resolutions are almost a form of personal punishment. We feel guilty for the first few days when we break out resolution but then get on with our lives.

So I think this year… Why create New Year’s Resolutions when I know I am on a one way freight train of disaster with my ideas. Why not make resolutions that fit my lifestyle but are also manageable without excessive guilt.

Mikey’s New Year’s List for Hookers

1. I will not go on a yarn spending diet as I know I will fall off the ‘hook. Instead, I will try my hardest to buy yarn that is on sale and/or I have a discount coupon in hand! It’s a win-win. Win for my piggy bank and win for my yarn stash to grow!
  2. I will not give up on projects that are kicking my ass. Instead, I will keep trying, ask for help and push myself through to keep my WIP (work in progress) bin low in unfinished projects.
  3. I will continue to make charity giving a priority with my finished projects. It can make a difference in stranger’s life and give my heart something to feel good about.
  4. I will continue to think out of the box with colours and ideas. Try new projects that I think are not within my skill to learn, test and feel self satisfaction.
  5. I will spend the same amount of time and/or more on Facebook learning and inspiring others with their crochet skills.
  6. I will not apologize for spending way too much time surfing through patterns online to find inspiration.
  7. I will not justify to anyone that my stash is too big! “They who die with the largest yarn stash wins!”. My yarn is my passion and keeps my brain, body and soul in harmony.
  8. I will try different yarns to exercise my creativity. It’s easy to judge what you think yarns will do and/or look like. I don’t want to imagine… I want to get my hands around the yarn and find out for myself.
  9. I will continue to encourage and be as positive as people when it comes to others sharing their creativity with me.

So there you have it… my 10 resolutions that I can stick with, be proud of and are for my own good!

This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Mikey’s New Year’s Resolutions for Hookers

1. Colette says:

For Sandra: Do not give up on the crocodile stitch. I started crocheting exactly one year ago, and when I tried the crocodile stitch I could not figure it out to save my life! After a year of crochet almost daily, I am now making Mikey’s Christmas Tree in crocodile stitch and find it very easy. His instructions are so easy to follow. As in everything else, practice is the key. Good luck with it.

2. I hope to be successful with the crocodile stitch. I hope to be able to attend the Creative Festival in the spring. I am trying new things. I am trying to teach myself beading on a ojibwa replica loom. I love my digital subscriptions to crochet world and to creative knitting. I love Mikey’s videos and am impressed at how ambi-dextros he is. His instruction in both left and right-hand crochet, boggles my mind.

3. Crochet Dee says:

Good for you. Those are great resolutions. Thank you for great ideas.

God bless

4. Viki says:

I LOVE the resolutions. SOOOO many relate to my crochet life as well.

With regard to the use of words, we all have to be a little less thin-skinned. EVERYONE does NOT mean harm — especially on a blog like this. I know there was no harm meant — Mikey is probably one of the gentlest persons I know of. I’m sorry, it just kind of grates my nerves that we’re always correcting someone over an innocent use of a word or phrase. REMEMBER, back in the day the words were used to describe something as it was. Now it’s like someone has written a different dictionary . . .

Just one girl’s opinion.

Love you ALL!

5. Debra says:

Mikey, you always seem to be right on the money when it comes to thoughtful expression. I think we all mean well when we make resolutions that we know are good for us but, like you stated, are all too often unattainable because of work, family, and everyday stress….. and because we are human. We beat ourselves up way too much when we “fail” to change. I have just been through the worst two years of my life and lost almost everything. Crochet has given me a therapeutic outlet that is hard to explain to someone who doesn’t understand. My goal for 2014 is to open myself up to sharing, laughter, and happiness. Love to you and Dan who are a constant source of inspiration on several levels.

6. Stitchy Heather says:

Hi there Mikey, first can I wish you, Dan and Cathy and Happy New Year and all the best for 2014.

I agree why make resolutions that we cant keep, i love your list of lifestyle tweeks.

Luv Stitchy xx

7. Pat says:

My last comment I left the wrong web address. It is Paj685@yahoo.com. Sorry guys,

8. Pat says:

Mikey and everyone involved in this website…thank you for your selflessness and hard work to nurture us in all things crochet. I am in a chair most of the time so crochet has been a life saver for me. I appreciate your tutorials and have learned so much from you in stitches and technique. May all of your New Years be filled with joy and love.

9. Linda Dashiell says:

I just read through your 10 resolutions for hookers and loved it!! However there were only 9. What happened to number 10?

10. Christina Sexstella says:

Those are some Great resolutions. Wish I would have made some of those for myself. I have made only 1 New Years Resolution. To enjoy myself more in 2014 than I did in 2013. THANK YOU for giving me the gift of Crochet. It gives me great joy and has become so much a part of me that I must hook every day even if it is only a row or 2. May your 2014 bring you as much happiness as you can stand and then even more.

11. I adore you!!! Your tutorials are the bomb! I look forward to the emails from y’all too! Happy new year!!!

12. Debbie McNeice says:

Oh Mikey, some people are just too politically correct for their own good. Slang in one country is different than slang in another country. People need to get over it. I nearly died when I went to Ireland and someone asked me if I was having good Crack!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA! They just wanted to make sure I was having fun. So I learned and moved on. I love you resolutions, but how do I explain to my husband that my stash has to be bigger than yours so I can WIN!!!! Love to you and Dan from Debbie in the Pacific North West.

13. Michelle says:

You have no idea how you inspire! Whether it be by chrochet or by your attitude. If it wasn’t for you, I would never be able to crochet what I now can. You are incredibly insightful and a joy! I wish you and Diva Dan a wonderful new year! And a huge THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO! 🙂

14. Mary says:

I think that your resolutions are realistic and I am going to borrow them to be a guideline for myself. You and Diva Dan will always be tops in my book no matter what you do or say. Happy New Year to the both of you.

15. Bernie says:

I gave away bags of yarn several years ago sure I was finished with crochet. I use to knit too but that was a very long time ago. Then my niece announced their new baby plans and now you know the rest of the story…….😃 I won’t divulge the amount
    of yarn I have amassed in a very short period of time.

16. Sarah says:

I already crochet for charity.. The best and only resolution that should be made in mho is “to be the best person you can be”.. and “to give you self permission to love one another.”

Thanks Mikey for helping through some new crochet stitches, you are awesome…

Happy New You!!!

17. Kitty says:

Seems like it would be a good idea to pull out that unfinished sweater and figure out how to put it together! As it is a bulky sweater it would give me almost a year to figure it out!

18. Barbara says:

I personally don’t make resolutions. It is a set of for defeat in my opinion. If you can keep your resolutions, great. What I do instead is make goals. I learned this several years ago while losing weight. I had a target over goal, but decided instead of looking at the big picture, to make it smaller, more manageable with smaller goals. Instead of trying to lose 50 pounds, I tried to lose 10 instead. When I achieved that goal, I moved on to the next 10 pounds.

Look at it this way. When you go to the doctor because you have an illness and he/she prescribes you medicine to help you recover. You don’t fill that prescription and down the whole bottle. At least I hope you don’t. You follow doctors orders by taking 1 tablet 3 times a day for 10 days, for example. In the end when you have finished that bottle of medicine you should be over when was ailing you, or nearly over it anyway.

I love the idea of making things for charity. I have recently contacted St. Louis Children’s Hospital about donating knitted/crocheted baby hats. They are excited and can’t wait for me to finish them. Loreena suggested lap blankets for a nursing home. That’s a great idea too. But getting back to my goals. I need to finish the baby hats for the hospital first. Then I’ll move on to my next goal. Lap blankets for a local nursing home. In between making baby blankets when I find out a close friend or family member is having a baby. 🙂

Well, Mickey, Diva Dan & Cathy, you have taught me a lot this year. I’m more creative then ever before. I’ve learned new stitches, challenged myself doing projects I couldn’t find a pattern for (my crocodile stitch skirt I made myself) and learned how to read and understand patterns. Sometimes I too, misread a pattern, but usually I have a tutorial of yours to fall back on. Thanks for all the hard work you guys do. You are an awesome team. I love being a part of this community.

19. Colette says:

Dear Mikey,

Nothing you say will ever be offensive to me. Offended people should go find another crowd to hang out with. Your tutorials are such an inspiration. All the best to you and your loved ones for this coming new year.

20. Michelle says:

Good inspiration! I’ve decided I will create a Facebook photo album for my projects. That will hopefully inspire some folks. I already have a new project in mind & supplies in hand that will push me outside of my crochet comfort zone. I will check with my church about donating baby blankets. We have a lot of young families & new little ones are never in short supply.
    Thanks Mikey! Happy New Year All!!

21. Scorpie says:

These are the best resolutions that I have seen in a long time. My dear hubby gave me a gift certificate from Michaels for Christmas. Just finished using it today and I mostly bought stuffies on sale. Yay for me!

22. Judy says:

Happy New Year Mikey, and to Diva Dan too! I love your videos and feel much less intimidated after watching them. Looking forward to expanding my hooking horizons in 2014. 😉 Best wishes to everyone at the Crochet Crowd for a Happy New Year.

23. sgordon1214 says:

Great article! My favorite is #7! Sometimes I feel guilty having as much yarn as I do…especially when I bring home more. It’s time to stop the guilt. I could be spending my time and money on much worse things!

24. I need too add – I will spend less time looking at patterns, ideas and tutorials online and spend more time actually MAKING some of them!!! LOL Great job Mikey! FUNNY, yet all with at least a kernel of truth though many of them have the whole cob! Happy New Year to you and Diva Dan!! and even more hooking in 2014!

• Brenda says:

I’m with you there Dot, I spend a lot of time searching for, bookmarking and printing fun, new, interesting projects, now I need to take all the ideas I have and make some of them.

25. Cheryl McGown says:

I really like your resolutions and definitely need to add most of them to my list! Thanks for all you do for the community! Hope you and Diva Dan have a great 2014!!!

26. Diana Smith Stenner says:

What good choices! You are right that we often set unreasonable, unreachable resolutions for ourselves.

27. Margaret says:

Very good resolutions….

28. Janice Flores says:

LOVE you resolutions!! I usually don’t make them but for my hubby’s sake will have to borrow a few of yours! Especially the yarn growing stash!! I am new to your site and have really enjoyed your tutorials, comments and humor! You’ve inspired me to try things I may not be comfortable with and have also enabled me to learn so many new things! So thanks for teaching the old hooker some new tricks and taking me outside my comfort zone! A very happy New Year to you! Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us in 2014!!

29. Rae Wakeham says:

MY New Years resolution is going to be live each day as though it was the last day of my life and to keep my diary up to date each day. I have never been very good at keeping up with New Year resolutions and I have lost my Mum just before Christmas, I am ready to try and make sure that I stick to the next years resolutions as best as I can.
    Rae Wakeham
    KIRWAN QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA.

30. Lisa Lee says:

I Love your resolutions! They are realistic and reasonable and I’m going to steal them. Is it stealing if I tell you? Do you mind if I steal them? Love you all!

31. Theodora says:

I see only 9? Maybe because I am on my phone?

32. Joann P. says:

I am going to try and learn to knit this year. I know it may be sacrilege to go to two sticks, but I’ve seen some beautiful items that can only be made with the two sticks.

I will not resolve to go on a yarn diet, but I will try to use what I have on hand before shopping for more.

I resolve to create at least one blanket for Project Linus and at least one shawl for my church ministry per month and to fill the between time with caps for newborns for my local hospital.

That’s all I can think of for now. Happy new year Mikey, Dan & Cathy!

33. Cynthia Miller says:

I love your list! I’ve had the same resolution for the past 23 years and that’s to not start smoking again. After all these years it has become a realistic goal for me. Now I can start to add more!! Happy New Year!!!

34. Amy says:

My resolution is to try and do a challenge when it’s being done, but I don’t want to go out and just buy yarn to work something up, I have enough that I just have to make something with it all. If I run out of a yarn that I need for my work I’m going to buy it, but otherwise I’m going to be good and not buy much yarn this year, or at least pre move.

35. Sue Ashman says:

Your list is a good one. I myself do not make resolutions. I put down on paper goals of things I want to try and to learn and to do in the upcoming year. Then cross them off as I accomplish them.
    This year I have also started an ideas journal of things to do or work on in the art/craft field every day.

36. Loretta Burnham says:

Thank you, being honest with us,also with yourself. I decided to try to believe in myself. To be postive and get my house organize. I want most of all is to be happy. You help me with crocheting, thank you. Happy New Year. Also, just to let to know. I post my challenge on Facebook , tried to send to you. But, it always fails.

37. Amanda says:

Love your list Mikey!!! I think I feel better already. Making it MY list too. Thank you! 🙂

38. Rebecca Tinney says:

I didn’t think “spastic” was an acceptable word these days. You might want to rethink that bit before a future starts Mikey!

39. You have given me a new look on those New Year resolutions I never can live up to!
    I am going to work on mine with a new light!
    Thank you for this inspiration!!

40. Jen Anderson says:

I will promise to not buy yarn unless I need it for a specific project. I have so much yarn right now and a little itty bitty apartment.

41. Tina Rodriguez says:

All ten are reasonable and attainable. Resolutions should not make us feel guilty but should be goals fora better you in the new year. Happy New Year!

42. Jenny Ferris says:

I resolve to FINISH some WIP’s that have been hanging around for a LONG time……
    I would like to crochet more for charity…..I will have to search for some places to donate to…..

• Loreea says:

Check with your nearest hospital. I have made caps for newborns, teddy bears (these were sewn) for children experiencing an anxious hospital visit. Lap robes for nursing homes too. I was recently talking to an activities director and we thought the ladies and gentlemen might enjoy some fun and warm hats.

• drseuss says:

You can also check with cancer centers. I have found that the nurses there always someone in need of chemo caps or prayer shawls.

• Roni says:

Happy New Year Mikey!
      Years ago I gave up making resolutions. Instead, I make a list of goals. Somehow, they seem more attainable. Our lists are quite similar, especially #6!!