Many fans write in.
Why do some fans get higher likes than another and is there a secret to having more people like the photographs?
The quick answer is that there are four things that dictate the success of a photograph
- Staging of your crochet project.
- Lighting in the photograph
- Provide more information about your creation to provide information about the pattern.
- The Ultimate Secret is to be Patient & Wait for the right time to photograph your item. This is the hardest element as we finish our projects in the middle of the night and snap a photo to share. I am terrible for this as well.
- Presenting your crochet projects in a way that is unusual really helps.
- Pay extra attention to the background around your project. I’m known for having a messy house but I will reposition my camera to show a clean version so my project isn’t judged based on the cleanliness of my home. Being blunt, be conscious of trash, empty wrappers and items in the background that people may judge you for.
- Sometimes showing the entire project takes away from the project, don’t be scared to take a photo so that you have a portion of your afghan or the project as your main feature. If people want to see a zoomed out view, have one on file.
- Watch where the light is in the room and how it’s highlighting your project.
- If you finished in the middle of the night and your lighting isn’t suffice. I strongly recommend you wait until natural daylight helps make your project look amazing. Artificial light can ruin the look of a finished project and/or distort the colours.
- Most of us, including me are using cell phones to snap photos. Take the time to wipe off the lens part as the light creates a halo glow over your photo taking away from your project.
- In some cases, hold another hand over the camera lens to create a shadow over the lens. This will cut the glare from light bulbs or natural sunlight.
- If you subject is in front of a window, your item will be dark as the light from the window will overpower your project.
Provide More Information
We don’t allow our pay to be used for advertising to sell products, projects and/or patterns. Our wall is to be used as Show N Tell, not a sales opportunity. It is usually very obvious when someone posts a photo of a finished project and are looking for people to buy the item or pattern from them. We automatically delete posts and/or photos that conflict with our community guidelines.
- If you have used a pattern, tell us more about the pattern and/or a link to where you got the pattern.
- If you have made up the pattern or created it yourself and there is no pattern as you just used your creative license, say so when you post it so people don’t constantly ask for a pattern.
- Tell us about the yarn and the stitches that you used.
- By providing more information, people are more inspired and more likely to click LIKE as they appreciate the information you have granted.
This information will help anyone on Facebook to gather more likes and shares for their content. Sometimes the success of a photo is a pure fluke and blows us all out of the water for a surprise! We love when that happens.
We feature our fans constantly on The Crochet Crowd. The selection in which we feature is like winning a lottery. Though we are asked to guarantee that we will feature someone’s project, we will not do so. Our choices are random and are decided in real time. If we don’t choose your photo, don’t take it personal. There are 100’s of photos for us to choose from and only so many opportunities for us to feature people. We do try our very best to be unpredictable and random.