Redefining The Holidays

The Crochet Crowd

Diva Dan & Mikey

Thanksgiving leaves me with mixed emotions. Many moons ago, long before The Crochet Crowd, I used to partake in Thanksgiving. I remember nearly everyone in the family, at that time, hated the whole holiday. People were upset they were dressing up, forced to cook an elaborate meal and fake conversations being exchanged. We would laugh at non-funny stories and our smiles would be more ‘Grin and Bear It’. Secretly we were watching the clock on the wall to determine how long is good enough to stay before jetting home.

So what do you do? Do we continue to fake our way through the holidays and partake in something just because it’s a tradition? Or do we redefine the holidays to make it more meaningful?

Daniel and I are a classic example who have redefined the holidays to allow it to match our lives. We don’t have children, so we are not expected to partake in the holidays to show our ‘would be’ children the traditions that were taught to us.

The art of Thanksgiving is beyond one weekend a year. It’s being thankful for someone holding a door for you at the store. It’s having gratitude for when you drop something and someone else instinctively offers you a helping hand without being asked. It’s the acknowledgement of your neighbours who wave at you as you pass down the street. It’s these kinds of gifts don’t come in pretty wrapping or a fabulous silver bow. They come at no charge and as the gift that is being given is ‘acknowledgement’. Being acknowledged is something worth giving thanks for.

My belief in being acknowledged is the foundation of The Crochet Crowd. We each have something to offer each other. Yarn is a common connector that brings us together. Like any good yarn show, when people express their creativity and share the concepts with us, it’s up to ALL OF US, not just Cathy, Daniel or myself to praise someone by ourselves. Our community has tens of thousands of participants that each have the power to make a stranger’s day really bright. We know the feeling of being praised and how good it makes us feel.

Giving the gift of appreciation and ‘thanks for sharing’ is much needed in today’s society. Ask yourself, what do you have to be grateful for? You may find more reasons than you may ever realize.

This entry was posted in Christmas and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Redefining The Holidays

1. Betty says:

Love it and welled said. I was feeling bad when my husband and I decided that our Thanksgiving will only be share with our three boys. Every year we argue about what the family wants to eat. What we need for the family etc.. Half of the family does not celebrate Thanksgiving but only gets together for the free food. The other half does the arguing and complains how we have to change our lifestyle. Tired of it! Plus that is not what my husband and I like to teach our boys. They are 10, 7 & 6 years old boys that need to learn manners and respect. It turn out it was great and I am thankful just for that.

2. damyjoAmy says:

Well said Mikey I still do the Traditional Turkey Day and it’s about to end as of this year as on 3 attended out of 20 Family members and i spent big bucks which we really could of used elsewhere in our house. I am really upset about this and i will have to pray for these feelings to go away.

3. gamma04 says:

I’m so sorry you have those memories. Thanksgiving doesn’t mean you don’t recognize things to be thankful for the other 364 days of the year, just as Mother’s Day is the only day you honor your mother, etc… It is just one day set aside for you to spend with family and/or friends to share your thankfulness with them. I have such fond memories of our family Thanksgivings. Playing baseball with the cousins, aunts and uncles. Girls against the boys, my grandparents or other too elderly to participate, sitting on the sideline laughing at our antics. Mom tending to the babies & toddlers. Fun times shouting quips from one room to the other during the dinner, because no room was large enough for one seating, so it was in 2+ rooms. The guys gathering as far from the cleanup as they could get, the kids going to the barn hayloft to play off their energy. I stayed back to tend the babies/toddlers while listening to all the women chatter about everything that has happened during the last year, and how overall it’s been a great year, and they are thankful that all their children are healthy, doing pretty good in school, etc… I still gather with family members, and just this last Thursday, my 2 year old granddaughter participated in the round of Thankfuls by contributing “I’m thankful for Kitties and Doggies”. She’s two and she is already finding things she is thankful for. Her nine year old sister stated “I’m thankful I have such a great family, friends at school, and ham for dinner.” Now I know her priorities, lol. Thanksgiving isn’t about the food or only being grateful one day a year, it’s the sharing of love and friendship over a table, being grateful to be together again, and joyfully remembering those that are no longer with us.

4. ERIKA says:

Nice words… I really hope that you and Dan really had a great day yesterday!!!
    And continue doing all those nice things that you share woth us 🙂 ❤

5. Debra says:

Thank you for the lovely message. I am thankful for my family and friends and the joy of living and experiencing new things. I am also thankful for all the great people that I have been fortunate enough to meet on Facebook and other on-line communites. They have inspired me to do better and challenge my creativity. It is also an honor to be allowed a glimpse into their daily lives of laughter and sometimes sorrow. Holidays are fairly low keyed with my family – I tried to spend as many as I can with my Daughter and her family as the majority of my family live out west.
    Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!.

6. Karen Rinehart says:

Happy Thanksgiving! Several years ago my good friend and I got the courage to stand up to one part of each of our families… and say we were not coming to that get together any more! We were tired of attitudes, being dissed,… and so on. We now have stress free holidays we celebrate with people who want to be with us and don’t miss having to fake it through get-togethers!

7. gail camillone says:

happy thanksgiving to the crochet crowd…it’s a pleasure being involved with you on f/b and enjoy your patterns etc. this message was beautifully said mickey…i have wonderful memories of thanksgiving especially the days it was on my birthday and i got to choose the menu…once every 6 years….enjoy the day whatever it is you will be doing…

8. I am thankful for the crochet crowd : Mike, Cathy and Dan! Fantabulous!

9. Dana says:

I too, am thankful I found The Crochet Crowd this year.
    Thank you Mikey, Diva Dan and Cathy for all the time, love and passion that you put in every day!
    Thank you for all the lessons, tutorials and free patterns.
    Thank you for your kindness and expertise.
    Thank you all the members that give their advice, proudly show their work, and are always willing to lend a hand.
    And mostly, thanks for the fun and inspiration! My head is brimming with ideas and the desire to try new things.
    All good stuff! Thanks!!

10. Happy Thanksgiving to all the American members of The Crochet Crowd.

11. Lisa Lee says:

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you at the Crochet Crowd!

12. Jan says:

Wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving – however you spend the day! Love this crochet site.

13. Happy Holidays to you both ! So grateful that I have found your website cause I have learned so much from you.. Love the Crochet Crowd also.. Enjoy your time off cause we all miss you dearly Mickey ..

14. robyn says:

as I am from the land down under and we don’t have Thanksgiving. well said Mikey and Dan enjoy your time together.

15. Diana says:

wishing you both the best of the holiday season-because I am thankful for so many things-1 of them being the crochet crowd.Have a great Thanksgiving all.

16. Denise Lafortune says:

I totally agree with you Mikey and not just for the thanksgiving holiday. It also applies to other traditional holidays such as easter, christmas and any other ones. I wish people would move out of the old traditions and celebrate the holidays to their liking. To live, love, laugh (as my sister would say) and celebrate life with the people who you truly love. I wish you Diva Dan and Mikey a happy holiday and enjoy life at it’s fullest and to your heart’s desire. Hugs and kisses to both of you; we love you dearly.