He Hooks… and He Shares!

New Afghan Pattern

Icy Snowflake Throw Pattern & Video Tutorial

Part of my mission is to find projects that I believe are worthy of filming. It’s a really hard task to decide which projects are worthy of spending a great deal of time to investigate, sample and then go through my entire process of getting a video online.

I guess based on watching how people respond to topics, pictures and much more. It’s a hint of being intuitive, thoughtful and practical all wrapped into one. For the most part, I get the ideas right most of the time. Occasionally, I have a video that doesn’t perform like I expected to. With being creative, you have to be open to fail, learn the lesson and move forward.

The Icy Snowflake Throw Pattern and Video Tutorial are one of those guesses where I slammed a home run. Speaking bluntly, its a project that instantly went viral. I believe there is a number of reasons why it went viral quickly but I won’t bore you with those thoughts.

This is a classic example of a project that looks so difficult but is really easy to do. There’s more to it than meets the eye! I think that’s what people love about it. I have noticed people already doing sample squares in really cool colours. Some people have Christmas on the brain while others are looking at this afghan from a different point of view. Imagine if the snowflakes represented flowers instead at spring time! It can take this concept and change it completely.

Remember with any pattern, explore your creativity! You may find a hidden gem of an idea tucked in there!

This entry was posted in Announcements, Christmas and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to He Hooks… and He Shares!

1. mauricea says:

Mikey if this icy snowflake throw is such a big hit than why now is it a private video? I even bought the yarn to make for a lady that is expecting, You did such a great job doing the tutorial. So why take it down??!! 😦 This is very disappointing. Please put it back up.

2. cathy yadvish says:

can u put the video of the ice snow flake back up as I am stuck on the 6 round and I have all of the whites ddone.but I can not do any further

3. Eileen says:

I love this pattern! Never would have attempted it on my own. I’m finished with the blocks and now to the fun part (?). I wish I had thought to connect as I wenf along; that was a great idea!

4. Mikey, I noticed that you modified the snowflake throw pattern from what is listed on the Red Heart page. In the last round Red Heart says to double crochet(dc) in each of the 3 dc at the center of the square where your video tutorial says to dc just in the center dc (3 vs. 1 dc in the last round). I was wondering if this was an oversight on your part or if it tightens up the square when you use a different yarn that the one listed in the pattern?

5. Karen Smarsh says:

I love the snowflake throw, but making scarfs rightmnow for Christmas presents. Love your emails and patterns. Thanks Karen

6. click says:

l love your baby boots

7. Debbie Fesel says:

I love all your tutorials, I have started the snowflake afagan, reading the pattern. got me no where, but watching your tutorial, made it easy, thank you Mikey.

8. vicki griffin says:

i did sample square that used some of my bits and pieces from other projects 1 square is a perfect sized afghan for a barbie sized doll my granddaughter will love it

9. Thank you for adding me to list.I love all this patterns.

10. Romy Williams says:

Mikey’s tutorial made this project so easy and it’s turning out absolutely gorgeous. I’m making the icy snowflake throw for a very close and deserving friend. Can’t wait to see her face when she opens the box. Thanks Crochet Crowd! You help make my crochet experience a real joy.

11. Christeen says:

I think it’s a cute pattern, though I wish the snowflakes had 6 points! I’m a little too picky about accuracy, so won’t be making this one as a snowflake blanket. It might work with the “flower” idea though. 🙂

12. Lynda says:

Love your videos and blog posts! I’ve learned so much about crocheting from watching! You are making a HUGE difference for so many of us. Please know that it is appreciated and that your time and efforts are respected.

13. Cathy says:

I really like the icy snowflake throw. (Except for the DTR stitch) I’ve completed 8 motifs so far. This project will be my challenge entry. Happy Thanksgiving to all at The Crochet Crowd:)

14. Brenda says:

another FABULOUS project, I appreciate all you do and love your creativity and guidance