Tips for Crafters Looking for Christmas Hardware

Mikey, Crochet Crowd, Christmas

Crafters Christmas Ornament Alternatives

I’ve been working on my 12 Gifts of Christmas Video Series. Part of the restrictions I have with producing videos is product availability that can be found at local stores.

I desperately needed a ring to go around my door handle for a project I am working on. I cannot just go on camera and say, go find one without offering a suggestion. It will flood our help desk with people complaining they cannot find a ring for their project. So for me, I needed to get my sample done but needed a ring myself.

I went to Canadian Tire, like a Home Depot for our American Friends, to locate a ring that I could use. I only wanted the ring, nothing else. I found many ornaments but one of the lines has a designer’s name associated to it. I found the perfect ornament where I could remove the ornament from the ring. The ornament was $15 and I just wanted the ring. It was too pricey for me to ruin an ornament for my project. I asked for help but to no avail, there was nothing in the store that could resemble a ring to go over a door knob. I was determined that my project would not be just a chain that is over top of the door knob.

Off to Walmart I went. I was really hoping their crafting section and/or Christmas selections would have a single ring that I could use to my make my project. I stumbled across an ornament that looked similar to the one above for $1.97. I thought, OKAY, I would be willing to spend $2 for a ring, can the ornaments come off the ring so I can do my project? Surely enough the ornaments are wrapped onto the ring using floral wire. Cool… I was all set!

At my local Walmart, there is the Crafting Manager that I usually speak with. I told her my plan. She says maybe the ornament that is part of the ring would be really nice as part of my homemade project. I was really stuck on the notion that I would have to remove everything off the ring that I never considered that maybe an existing ornament would be appropriate for my project.

Around midnight last night, I finished my project and I was so delighted! The Walmart Crafting Manager was really smart to make her recommendation. So for only 2 bucks, I was able to accomplish my mission and make my project even better than I anticipated.

So my point is this… looking for hardware or crafting items needed for holiday decor may not be in the raw form of the materials we are looking for. We may need to buy a finished item to upcycle it into something amazing. Just some food for thought this Christmas season.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Christmas and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Tips for Crafters Looking for Christmas Hardware

1. Mike C says:

Would a large mouth canning ring work?

2. Connie Toth says:

I have actually used a plastic lid( came from the $1.00 cookie containers at Walmart) for Christmas wreaths- made the pattern up as I went- did not have to run around- just needed a circle- anything that was round will do the job-( now I am looking at butter tub lids)- I will try to get a photo & post on the site. I try to re-use the plas
    tics before recycling them. Happy crafting all.

3. Laurene says:

All my suggestions have already been mentioned. I do have a comment regarding the quote at
    the top of this news letter. Shouldn’t it be that we “shouldn’t fear to be wrong”?

4. Janice Webster says:

Can’t wait to see what this project is. When is the unveiling?

5. Sandra Roman says:

Make the ring with a piece of sturdy wire wrapped in floral tape or even in favorite color yarn. Often times when I can’t find what I need I end up using a coat wire hanger cut to size…

6. Kathy says:

Recycle your plastic lids. I cut the middle out of them & use the ring to make wreaths in different sizes.

7. Judy Spain says:

I have needed a ring in the past and have taken the plastic top from a butter or coffee can lid for example, cut the rim off and crocheted around it. If you want it to be really stiff you may have to use several of them glued together. But it works and you don’t have to spend any money for it.

8. Myrna Forge says:

If the bottom part of the craft isn’t too heavy, you can use rubber sealer rings. I’m not positive you can get them anymore since the new tops have the rubber part on them. But if you can find some, they are nice because they are a bit stretchy and easy to get over a door knob.

9. Sheri says:

The dollar store is great for bits and pieces, if you have, keep forgetting you live so far out Mikey. I am really curious about this now 🙂

10. Rachel Walker says:

I think I am going to try to use shower curtain rings cuz I have extra laying around. Plus I can always find stuff at garage sales and dollar trees.

11. Mary S. says:

If one is really stuck, what about using a wire hanger? Cut desired length…snip and twist?

12. I have been in the same situation many times. I know what I need, but can’t find it. My grandmother was instrumental in my problem solving skills, since we often used “trash” and whatever we found around the house to craft.
    A few things come to mind for making a sturdy ring: wire coat hanger, any type of wire, plastic tubing (like oxygen tubing or the tubing from an aquarium), etc. To make the ring workable, cover it with masking tape (or electrical tape or duct tape) and cover it by wrapping scrap fabric around it or crocheting to cover it.
    Granny’s “make it or make do” lessons have inspired me to make many of my children’s most loved toys and wonderful gifts over the years. She was a master recycler!

13. Sharon says:

You are so right! And having others give you some suggestions that might work with the project you are doing can also be a GREAT help! Knowing myself, being caught not being able to find a needed item and having to improvise can be a problem…but sometimes an even better solution! It is nice to hear that others also run into the problem of not being able to find a needed item! Happy Holiday Crafting!

14. mary says:

Michaels and Joanns should have what you are looking for

15. BeckieWilson says:

Mikey, I love your humility and openness that you blog with regarding your artistic process. It really helps me appreciate the process I go through working through a project. I used to get all stressed out to the point of feeling like a failure and having a melt down. You show me it’s ok to slow down and adapt and that projects can evolve and that it doesn’t have to be exactly the way I pictured it in my mind. I find that since I have followed your example, I enjoy the process more and I have allowed my creativity to expand. I am much calmer for it. I thank you and my husband and my children thank you too!

16. Sheri says:

Dollarama and now Dollar tree is starting too creep into Canada are great for little crafty items. they always got loads Christmas decorations , they are cheap you can take apart if you need be.

17. bathehappy says:

If you are looking for just rings they sell solid metal rings in many sizes at craft stores. I buy them at Michael’s all the time for making dream catchers and they are usually pretty inexpensive. You can usually find them online listed as ‘Metal Craft Rings’.

18. KarolJ says:

I bought one of the can openers that leave no sharp edges. I found that opening the tops of the pop top soups with this can opener can leave a nice ring, fairly sturdy too. All you have to do after removing the lid, is to pop the top and take out the center part. Best part is.. you get something tasty to eat in the process!

19. Dgtis Here says:

I found rings at Michiels a 4 pack for 2.49 a little less than 6″ in diameter.
    They had smaller and larger sizes to not sure of the size you are looking for but if there is a Michel’s store near you ask directions in the store to the dream
    catcher rings.

20. Sarah says:

the embroidery hoops came to my mind, too.

21. Oh man I have the exact same delema! I am looking for a ring to hang over the door knob! I have looked in both places that you mentioned and some craft stores too. I remember my grandma getting some very nice door knob rings at Woolworths. We don’t have a woolworths here any more. I love your idea of finding a ready made ornament and taking it apart to make something new. Thanks for the idea! I have about a dozen red and green granny squares that I was going to make a blanket out of. Now I had the idea to line them in a row with a couple of bells on the bottom to make as door hangers!

22. I’m not sure what your project is, waiting patiently, but would one of the cheap, wooden embroidery hoops work. There is a small one that is only 3 inches diameter and I’ve found them for less that a dollar, and maybe both halves could be used for 2 projects.