Unlimited Access to Crochet Patterns

Crochet

Unlimited Access to Patterns with Yearly Subscription.

While in North Carolina at the Knit & Crochet Show, MainlyCrochet was directly behind the Crochetville booth. If you didn’t already figure it out, MainlyCrochet is from Phippsburg, Maine USA. It is run by Michele Maks who works with a fabulous team of people to bring MainlyCrochet together online.

You may be like me, never heard of them before… so I was obviously intrigued to ask them to tell me about themselves. Here’s what I learned.

1. MainlyCrochet is a digital pattern service focused on crochet.
  2. They have a yearly membership of only $24. With this membership, their entire library is opened up for you to use as you wish.
  3. Their patterns are for beginners, intermediate and expert levels. There’s something for everyone and designs that range from simple looks to high end fashion.
  4. Patterns use fun fancy yarns but also everyday yarns such as Red Heart Super Saver. This means the projects can fit the budget of virtually any crocheter.
  5. As new patterns come out, subscribers are notified via email that new patterns have come out and are available.

During the Fashion Show at the Knit & Crochet Show at the formal banquet, numerous examples of garments and everyday projects were showcased down the runway. They feature designs from crochet designers like Kathryn White and Andee Graves.

So what are my thoughts?

• You can spend quite a bit of money on patterns and books. However, I like the concept that it’s a one time yearly payment that gives me access to the entire library. You can have access to well known designers in the crochet industry.
  • There are no crazy restrictions by the designers that you cannot sell your finished projects.
  • The owners are down to earth and love to crochet.

Stop by MainlyCrochet to get a sneak peak. All subscriptions are handled by Paypal.

So what are your thoughts on this type of service? I would love to hear your feedback? Leave you comment below.

This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Unlimited Access to Crochet Patterns

1. Pingback: Learn How To Crochet with Red Heart Sassy Lace | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

2. Pingback: Spinrite Factory Outlet: New Year Round eTent Yarn Blowout Sales | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

3. Amy Shelton says:

I just wanted to chime in with my opinion here. For those who don’t know me, to establish my credibility, I’ve co-owned the Crochetville website since 2006 and served on the Crochet Guild of America’s board of directors from 2009-2012, and as president from 2011-2012. I know Brenda Stratton, Kim Guzman, Michele Maks, and Mikey and Dan personally.

I can reassure everyone that Mainly Crochet is definitely a legitimate site, as well as one that is dedicated to paying crocheters a fair wage for their designs. Did you realize that magazine photographers and models make much more per hour than the designers do for all the hours it takes to design and create a pattern? I’m glad to know there’s a publisher that is really looking out for the interests of designers. Yes, this is a start-up company, but I’m sure they’ll support designers even more strongly as their business grows. That’s just the kind of people they are. If you’re interested in subscribing to Mainly Crochet, have no fears that your information will be compromised or that designers are not being compensated fairly.

I joined the Mainly Crochet site soon after they opened, as a show of support for a fellow crochet professional. I believe in the concept of what they are doing, although I realize not everyone will be interested or able to afford a subscription to the site. If you can afford the subscription, check out their Pinterest and Instagram accounts to see the full selection of patterns currently available. They have some excellent designers working with them. They’ve only been open several months, so keep that in mind and realize that more and more patterns will be released throughout the year.

I think it’s great that there are enough free patterns available to meet a variety of needs. I see nothing wrong with using a free pattern when that is what works for you. I even use them myself, and have an extensive collection stored on my laptop and iPad.

There are also many patterns worth paying for, whether as individual patterns, in a magazine, in a book, or through this new subscription service. I’m lucky that my pattern subscriptions and purchases count as a business deduction. I admit that if I were spending my family’s money as opposed to business account money, I’d probably be much more selective in the subscriptions I choose to purchase. All the patterns i currently buy would still all be worth paying for; I just wouldn’t be able to justify purchasing ALL of them with family money. I can say that a subscription to Mainly Crochet would be one of the things on which I would choose to spend my personal money.

4. DocT says:

I guess I’m one of those people where no amount of patterns / yarn / findings is enough. I may have baskets full sitting in my living room, but it won’t keep me from looking over new things that come my way. I like new inspiration to get my own creative juices flowing. Lately the magazines I’ve been buying are 6-8$, so it only takes 3-4 of them to equal the price of the subscription. I like Mainly Crochet because they can, and will, publish long (not necessarily complicated) patterns that a print magazine couldn’t due to space issues (I love love love their nautical flag afghan, but can’t imagine a magazine spending the page space on the pattern for each different flag). I also love that their website has no ads (something that makes other patterns “free”). Sheila mentions losing electronic patterns – you don’t need to download everything at once, and you can download something more than once so if you misplace it / your computer crashes / you want to put it on your kindle for instead of your laptop for easier reference while you stitch – it’s still there. Sorry this is long-winded, but I think my subscription is worth it.

5. Leslie J says:

I’d like to thank all those people who design, write and then provide free patterns via the internet. They are certainly a blessing when folks are on a limited budget. Sometimes, though, it’s nice to buy a pattern that really catches your eye. I am pretty sure I wouldn’t spend $24 for access to a pattern library when there are so many available for free now.

6. michele maks says:

From the horse’s mouth here…. first let me say that I appreciate that people would rather have patterns be free, I really do get that. I worked as a freelance designer from 1985 to 2008, and many of the things I designed were used by yarn companies for their free pattern line up. In 2008, I became editor at Crochet World and learned about crochet publication from the other side of the fence. An MS diagnosis made me leave the corporate world in October of 2010, but the crochet hook stayed in my hand, and the desire to publish crochet in a way that was responsible to everyone- designers AND customers- has led me to publish mainly crochet. Unlike most publications, we don’t insist on buying all rights, and we try to pay fees that actually take into account what goes into a project. Since we don’t have space restrictions like a print magazine, we take more photos to help see projects in a way that aids in making that project than most others do as well. My tech editor and I spend a lot of time going over designers’ patterns to make sure instructions are both correct AND understandable. The number of patterns offered is, quite frankly, the number we can get done responsibly. Since we don’t publish “issues”, we publish patterns every few days, sometimes even more frequently, a subscription to mainly crochet could perhaps more accurately be called a crochet lifestyle. We, all of us, LOVE crochet! The point is to do as much of it as we can, and then share that with subscribers. We are still young and growing, but our pattern number is greater than most bimonthly publications.
    I would never put down the free patterns that are out there, but I would also not deny myself a beyond the ordinary crochet experience with patterns done such as ours. If I am waxing too poetically, please forgive me. I am proud of what we have created, because life as we know it IS mainly crochet!

7. Linda Dashiell says:

I won’t pay an annual subscription of $24 because as stated above (1) I can usually find what I want online for free and (2) I have a whole armoire full of patterns as well as 2 dozen binders full. I also have a folder on my computer that I have been using recently. So, no I won’t be joining.

8. todaycommai says:

We’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. We’ve really enjoyed reading your blog and hope that you will accept the award. 🙂 You can check it out here: http://todaycommai.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/6530/

9. Pingback: Unlimited Access to Crochet Patterns | Oombawka Design

10. I really don,t think $24 a year for patterns is a bad idea if that is what you want and you are an avid crocheter. But I agree with the others who say that there are many wonderful sites with an array of patterns that are shared for free. I may have to spend a few days searching for just what I need, but I have always found the pattern I want. As for being professionally written, any pattern that is written step by step so that I can follow along has my votes

11. Hello! We do pay our designers for their work, however we do have one extremely generous designer that loves our small business so much that she supplies us with free designs in exchange for yarn! We know all of our designers on a personal level, as our creator Michele Maks has been in the crochet business for many years and we are a small business. You can view all of our available patterns on our Pinterest, Instagram or twitter. We understand that not everyone has the money in their budget to spend on our subscription, but we recommend trying out our 4 free available patterns, which are at a Beginner/intermediate level. We view the $24 a year as $2 a month instead, which is much easier to budget. We launched our site in July, so we are still building, but we currently have 50+ patterns on the site now, and it’s only October! Thank you Crochet Crowd for sharing our information! Please direct any questions to our twitter, Pinterest, Instagram or michele@mainlycrochet.com

• Dee says:

After reading Kim Guzman’s (a.k.a crochetkim) comment to my earlier post. I am very interested in investing in your small business. Looked over the site again and plan to subscribe next payday. 🙂

12. Rosalie Wright says:

I like options…for Crochet Crowd I could see a self published book on amazon.com featuring designs by Mikey and recipes by Diva Dan In PDF downloadable format that we can purchase and download…once it goes viral publishers will want to publish book in hard copy and we can get autographed copies at trade shows he attends. For people who cannot afford to buy a book maybe a booklet of freebie patterns as a free option with 12 patterns as opposed to book with more patterns.

13. Rosalie Wright says:

I like the Craftsy.com platform you can see designers descriptions of their patterns some are free some you have to pay…same thing with raverly.com there’s free patterns and paid and you get description of a pattern etc. no fee to join craftsy or raverly and you have unlimited choices of patterns and price points.

14. Rosalie Wright says:

I think it just depends on how you like to get your patterns. I prefer free ones…I’m on a tight budget of 100.00 month for fun money so that has to pay for my yarn stash and fabric stash and anything else I need for the month. While 24.00 per year sounds great if it went up in price annually that could be an issue for some people.

15. I see 2 sides to this coin. The people who put up these sites have expenses too – and although I like free patterns, I don’t believe we get far in life by always taking and not giving back. I have fallen madly in love with the Crochet Crowd, and would gladly pay some type of subscription fee if it made the difference between Crochet Crowd with open arms, or Crochet Crowd with closed doors. I am not familiar with the Mainly crochet group, can’t comment there – but there is a lot to be said for give, take, appreciate and share. Just sayin…….

16. Jamie says:

Thank you for sharing! Retired, $750/month. I do free. I like the knowledge to share and the comments on the site as a guide. I go to your site first! I have learned so much from you! Thank you!

17. Karolin says:

I might entertain something like this if I could see all the patterns available to me. It might just be my phone but you can see pictures of 4 different projects and that’s it.

I would have to know there was enough available to me that I’m interested in to make that purchase first.

18. Dee says:

$24/yr is not too much for unlimited access to a whole library of patterns. I have seen this site before but declined the temptation because of concerns that the designers got paid for their work. (Just read the post about 100’s of stolen patterns.) If its legit, I might be interested.

19. As a very satisfied customer of Mainly Crochet, I can vouch for the quality of the patterns and the entire experience on this site. The patterns are fresh and new and are written and produced by professionals. It has been said that it is too pricey, but I disagree. I do understand that economics play into what we can or can not afford to do, but the price is about equal to purchasing 2 or 3 pattern books per year. I just joined in July and have already received my money’s worth…and there are still 9 months left in my subscription! New patterns are uploaded frequently. While free patterns are nice, supporting our designers by purchasing their patterns is what will continue to make quality patterns available.

20. Marion says:

Saw them at the show. Ok, Honestly. Idea is nice. I went and looked around the site, watched intro video. That ol’ saying “if you can’t say anything nice..” How do you tell them you were turned off by the site. That isn’t what you asked so, I’ll just shut my mouth, I couldn’t do any better. Idea is still good. We need to be open to the idea of spending a little money on our hobby.

21. Cathy Porter says:

I went in and looked………a lot of the pattern samples weren’t complicated……….and I enjoyed seeing them…….but I wouldn’t pay the $24 for the patterns…….I am sure that they showcased some of their better/popular patterns however, there are so many free ones on line, and I have thousands of them in the room……….including a lot of old patterns from old 1920s and even before….so this would NOT interest me.

22. Jessica Ramos says:

At this point, I’m not interested. When I spoke with them in NC, it sounded like they didn’t have that many patterns posted online yet and were still expanding their library. To me, it’s not worth paying a yearly subscription fee for very few patterns and patterns I’m not even sure I’d like. I have amassed hundreds of free patterns on ravelry and Pinterest. Additionally, I can pay this amount for a decent crochet magazine subscription and end up with more patterns than they offer. I could even pay for an electronic subscription and get all the magazine’s patterns online (so I wouldn’t have to keep all of the printed magazines). I think they need to step it up a bit in order to really draw people in.

23. Carole Parry says:

I have a binder full of free patterns. I can’t afford to buy patterns except on rare occasions. If I had to pay $24 today to a crochet list, I wouldn’t be able to be on that list. I don’t have the money to join.

• Deb Snider says:

I agree I wouldn’t have the money!

• Lisa Lee says:

I’m with Carole on this! I have more free patterns than I could ever use in a lifetime. If I want to spend $24, it’ll be on yarn to do some of those patterns or maybe maid service to give me the time to do the patterns I have!

24. Rose Fox says:

I love the idea of having all the patterns but there is such an array of free patterns online that I cannot see a reason to pay $24.00 per year for “free” patterns. I go to your site first, always, and I also buy from your sponsors. I like that better! Just sayin’.

• Rachael says:

It didn’t say anything about them being “free.” I spend a lot of money on patterns that I buy throughout the year, and I think this is a great idea. It will save me money in the long run.

25. I will not pay for something like this, when I can find almost any and all things that I want to crochet for free on the Internet. There was I time I belonged to a Crochet book club and it ended up being VERY costly. After you pick the book you want then you have to pay for shipping and tax, and at the end you have paid twice for the book. Even downloaded patterns that you can purchase, what if your computer crashes? They are all lost.
    I just go on the internet and type in what I want to do and always find a FREE pattern.

• kris says:

So do I Sheila.. I love going to Free crochet patterns and printing them out.. saves money and there are so many free items available to us.. I love Crochet Crowd but will have to pass on this one.. I spend enough money that I really don’t have on yarn.. Happy Hooking !!