When Upset… I Do 2 Things

Free Crochet Patterns

Colourful Throw Pillows Patterns

A bad habit of mine when I am upset is to do two things. The first one is a really bad habit of giving my refrigerator a work out. I’m the classic, “eat my feelings” kind of guy. I search for chocolate, salty things and anything that will bring me immediate comfort. Sorry everyone, carrot sticks aren’t going to do the trick.

The second thing I do is looking for crochet patterns. Part of my existence since being introduced to crochet when I was 14 years old is to bury my feelings into a crochet project. Though emotionally I am feeling down, non communicative and wanting to be left alone… I have a sense of accomplishment by finishing a project. I know for a fact that I am not alone in that thinking.

I stumbled across the Colorful Throw Pillows today. It got me thinking about spring 2014 already. I love how cheery they are. I bought a pillow form at Walmart the other day for a spare… I am thinking the pink and green striped one would be really nice on my crochet chair.

Do I really need another pillow? Not really… but I have the yarn and a need to crochet something to feel better! So another pillow it is! I think I know someone that might appreciate this for a Christmas Gift too. Yeah… I know… Christmas in August. Like many of you, life gets busy and I have to slam in my crochet making for the holiday early before I am too busy to get anything done.

What is your ‘go to’ when you are feeling down?

This entry was posted in Accessories / Misc and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to When Upset… I Do 2 Things

1. I’m just getting around to reading this topic. I may not have been a member yet when it first came out. I, unfortunately eat when I’m upset too. But I’ve found that what I eat depends on what’s upsetting me. If I’m angry, I want something crunchy-i.e. chips and dip-salty and fatty are a bonus. If I’m sad or ‘down’ it’s chocolate. And, if my emotions are mixed, anything goes! I could eat a house (or horse-take your pick) then! I’ve been trying to substitute ‘healthy’ habits. Sometimes walking will help. Crocheting and gardening are both good, and both have the added bonus that I haven’t figured out a way to eat while I’m doing them. But, somehow, food is still the best!

2. Kathryn O'Dell says:

I shop for yarn and books and empty books and pens and sometimes go to a hardware store and buy screw drivers – that cheers me right up!! Then I eat toast and jam!!

3. Loly Mamdouh says:

Crocheting .. Coffe & Choclate!

4. Cathy Mottin says:

I can so relate but since I have had a gastric bypass eating is out of the question so I crochet. I focus on learning something new from your videos, Mikey.

5. Chocolate is always the answer. Crochet soothes, but if I’m too agitated, I need the chocolate first! ;-9

6. Tess Littlefield says:

My liquid of choice is Hot Dark Chocolate and a crochet project. Such as the hexagon motif of the aphagan that my uncle “Vet of the 2nd world war” would use for his naptime.

7. ICanSoRelateToWhatYourSaying,AndHereIThoughtIWasTheOnlyOne. I’mSoVeryGladILearnedToCrochet,ItIsMyMedicine.

8. krysti says:

Coffee, running, crocheting, or gardening… in that order 🙂

9. LeahS says:

I am a ‘eat my feelings’ girl too. I have had a hard day today because I am committed to a diet (hubby says it is not a diet but a ‘lifestyle change’) and my oldest started high school. I really needed some chips today. I am trying to learn to cry when I am sad, pray when I am anxious- but I admit that today I took my anxiety meds. Crochet is a treat for me- I usually have to be not stressed to crochet because I can’t get the tension right otherwise. I appreciate all of y’all sharing 🙂

10. Mancy Pants says:

I am with Cathy , when I get really irritated and I clean like a mad woman you best get out of my way or else,,! lol the other thing I do is spend time alone have myself a pity party and then I am done 🙂

11. Maria Torres says:

I immerse myself in the yarn and patterns I have acquired they lift me up and allow me to think positively. I feel better after looking at the possibilities that are available with the ball of yarn and hook or needles… I feel better afterwards because my thought process has changed from a negative to a positive and I am able to function again. I use the yarning as an outlet since I no longer have the materials for painting, as I used to paint as a release for my sadness or joy.

12. I blast music into my headphones and crochet or read.

13. I’m a baddie when I feel stressed or over-whelmed, I tend to lash out on people when I get that way (my poor hubby has been on the receiving end of way more than his share of emotional meltdowns)… usually after the lashing I sit and pout then get mad at myself for being so mad or upset to begin with… and that’s when I pick up the crochet hook or knitting needles or head to my sewing room… I think its just cathartic to drive all that emotion into working on something rather than beating yourself up for being human.

14. Cathy says:

When I’m super angry, I clean my house. On those days, you can eat off my kitchen floor! Crocheting is for when I’m calm and focused.

15. Antoinette says:

I also react by eating when having bad times. During a divorce relealized I was staring at a cabinet of chips, cookies, etc. but was not hungry or really wanted to eat anything. Closed the doors and sat on the couch to read a book. This caused a general change in my overall eating habits. Carrot and celery became my muchies choices. Over the next five years loss 125 pounds which I have kept off for over 20 years now. When I have the craving for chocolate I walk to the nearest store (1/2 mile away) and if still needing a fix buy the smallest piece of chocolate or chip bag possible. Then walk home before eating it if still wanting it, else throw in the trash bag, close it and put in the bucket outside. Out of sight out of mind. Have used crocheting, knitting, other needle arts to settle and focus myself.

16. Joyce J says:

I make a cup of mocha cappuccino and check out your blog and patterns. I appreciate what you do so much!

17. Brenda B. says:

Wow–we must think alike!! I reach for the fridge also and I pick up my hook and crochet!! I hope things settle down for you soon Mikey.. We all appreciate everything you do for us on The Crochet Crowd!

18. Marcy Kanapaux says:

I know how you feel Mikey. I, too, learned when I was 14 and although I stepped away from crochet for a few years to delve into quilting, I quickly came back to it. I love crocheting as much if not more than quilting. I still quilt from time to time, as well as knitting and weaving. I love your website, YouTube channel, Facebook page, etc!! You are awesome!!! Can’t wait to meet you in Charlotte!!!

19. Sandi says:

I drink hot tea & search for new crochet patterns to print. I had to buy some folders, instead of stacking them on the floor.
    Snacks: I cannot digest chocolate, so I bake cookies (snickerdoodles are a favorite). Fresh & warm from the oven.
    Mikey & Diva Dan, what might be your evening snacks?

20. Marie Buckley says:

I eat bad stuff like tiramisu, cake, biscuits, then I feel bloody awful, after which I try to buy something which at the moment is yarn, start a new project which will take forever to finish, fortunately I have a wonderful other half who knows how to make me feel better 🙂 The crochet helps empty my head and get me on an even keel again.

21. Sarah M says:

What a lovely pattern! Also an emotional eater. I have been attempting to stop myself before I get to that point, but that hardly happens. I spent a lot of time looking on Pinterest when I feel the need to get lost for a few hours. Addiction traded for another addiction. hehe!

22. Alethia Douglasd says:

Crochet became my therapy during my divorce. Now crocheting helps me to focus while I am working out problems, anger and concerns along with personal prayer. The best “high” for me is the finished item, knowing that someone else may be happy in seeing it or getting this gift. I am still amazed at what is created with a needle and yarn-thread-fabric-ribbon etc-etc-etc!!

23. sarah says:

oh and not to forget I collect patterns like crazy. Its a hobby now

24. sarah says:

When I am upset I crochet too 🙂 its the best thing to keep me focused and not think about other things. And you are so right about the feeling of accomplishment 😀 I second you

25. Rosa B. says:

Chocolate and coffee!

26. Marion says:

Mikey and Diva Dan videos of course. Chocolate does help too. Then I curl up with a cup of coffee and my hook or a book. I’m about to make your fingerless gloves, watched that video a little bit ago. Quick project instant gratification and I’m tired of the blanket squares I’m making.

27. My go-to when I am down is your videos on YouTube! 🙂 along with a bag of chips and a diet coke.

28. Tinochka says:

I too run to find the biggest piece of chocolate I can find. I know, bad, bad habit. But it sure makes me feel better for a bit. I also will just grab a book and go veg for awhile and read. Get lost in a story somewhere.