Confessions of an Addicted Crocheter

Just for kicks, I thought I would share some confessions or quirks I have with you all.

1. A really dumb fact about me is that I cannot chew gum and walk at the same time. I don’t know why or how that is possible.
  2. I get bored extremely quick. It’s part of my workaholic nature. It’s why most of my crochet projects are flooded with colours. Changing colours is a symbol of growth and accomplishment for me.
  3. I drive my car super cautious. I’ve never been one to be impressed by fancy cars or people who feel the need to speed or squeal their tires at a stop light.
  4. Daniel and I have a rule, one of us will drive one direction and the other will drive us back. We have only 1 car between us and we feel that the driving should be a shared responsibility.
  5. The only meals I can make are Kraft Dinner, Hot Dogs and Hamburgers. If Daniel is leaving for the night and I need to prepare my own supper, you can bet 80% it will be a couple of peanut butter sandwich.
  6. I have Tinnitus. It’s the constant ringing of the ears. Some days it’s so bad I can barely stand it. After I eat or drink is the loudest. I listen to music most of the time to drown it out.
  7. I’m cheap. If I see a bargain and it’s something I want, I will pick it up… I’m a price shopper. If at the grocery store there is a sale on one item and not the other and they are both the same thing, but different brand, you can guarantee that I will select the cheapest item, even if just 10 cents cheaper.
  8. I am 7 out of 10 times most likely to leave a store never buying anything if an associate or owner doesn’t say hello. I like to feel welcomed; however, I don’t like to be harassed to buy either.
  9. We have two budgie birds. They are boys and about 8 years old. The green one is called Kiwi and the blue one is Blueberry. They are cute but I don’t bother with them much. Blueberry has learned to karate kick; however, his legs are short and can’t kick anything. It’s pretty cute.
  10. I love to buy yarn. I will only buy yarn if I know the yarn can be found by my fans. If I think the yarn is too exclusive or hard to get for my audience, I will most likely love the yarn but not purchase it, nor will I run any tutorials using it. The disgruntled email for people complaining to me about not finding the yarn is a bit much depending on how my mood is when I get the email.
  11. At the end of the day, Riverstone, our cat, is likely to sit on my chest and cuddle with me. She doesn’t do that with Daniel. Daniel likes to play rough with her and she loves that. She comes to me for the gentle goodnight rub down before bedtime.

Do you have any quirks to share?

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Confessions of an Addicted Crocheter

1. Pingback: Dealing with Colour & Purchasing Remorse | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

2. janette says:

I also suffer from tinnitus…I usually use audio books rather than music to drown it out though, so all my creations are done to books I found good enough to listen to after reading them. Right now it’s Tolkien.

• Jana says:

Good idea Janette. Who reads them? Would be cool if it were one of the characters in the movies! I usually listen to music but have been listening to Born Standing Up by Steve Martin. He narrates it so it’s pretty great.

3. I’m with you on number 7, I’m always lookinga good deal.

4. 1. I taught myself knitting at the age of 8…but with the first row the knitting needles got farther and farther apart until I learned a better cast on method.
    2. I very much prefer crochet, easier to fix mistakes
    3. If my hands aren’t busy, I’m not happy
    4. I am now addicted to Mikey’s videos! They have helped me out so much. Even though I’ve been crocheting a long time, I always pick up a tip or two.
    5. My very spoiled cat sleeps under the covers with me in the winter using my arm as her pillow.
    6. I also have tinnitus. It actually started at a very young age, only for very short periods. It scared me so I told myself “Angels are talking to you” and I wouldn’t move until it stopped. Now it is constant…so I always have music or TV on to “drown” it out.
    7. I do a variety of crafts and have tons of supplies.
    8. I procrastinate too much…not using my supplies.
    9. I always need more supplies!! Especially yarn!!
    10. I will always LOVE Mikey and be thankful for Diva Dan and what they give all of us hookers!!!

5. Jana says:

Mikey I have tinnitus as well. Freaked me out when I got it (from listening to barking dogs for 20 years straight at the vets, plus pigs etc) I am now used to it, as it’s been 8 years or more but it sucks. Aspirin makes it worse and so does too much alcohol. Eating doesn’t seem to affect it. I have learned how to dampen it down a few notches but it takes practice.
    I have a few quirks of my own:
    1. It’s TMI but I love being naked.
    2. I want to crochet all day but have to work darn it.
    3. I love the smell and taste of coffee and will even chew on the grounds.
    4. I love to drive fast. BUT I am very cautious and never drive that way with others in the car.
    5. I love the colors of yarn, but not the feel of many of it. I am an artist so the color grabs me first.
    6. I am a terrible knitter. I can knit hats and scarves and that’s it.
    7. I miss being a vet tech every day when I get up for work. I am now into computers etc at the local college due to my job ending back injury.
    8. I refuse to let my two vet tech licenses lapse. I do a lot of Continuing education as result.
    9. I have one of those weird affinities for animals and they sense that about me instantly. Sometimes it’s embarrassing but not to me.
    10. I cry when others cry and during most movies, and lots of Wimp and youtube videos.
    11. I too, am in love with a man named Dan but the feeling isn’t mutual. It’s a long sad story..
    12. That’s enough don’t you think…? 🙂
    Love you Mikey!

6. Cheryl goodsell says:

I have my share of quirks
    1. I have 14 afghans in my craft room that I can’t bare to give up,
    2. Dusting is my least favorite thing to do.
    3. I spend way to much time playing games on my IPad, when I should be dusting
    4. I can’t watch TV unless I’m crocheting, knitting or crafting, so I have no idea what Rachel Ray looks like.
    5. I watch too much Food Channel, but don’t know what Rachel Ray looks like (see #4).
    6. All I want for Christmas is yarn or a gift certificate to a place to get yarn.
    That’s enough for now, time to do some dusting ……….just kidding (see #2)

7. Cowgirl V says:

I love crocheting, but am teaching myself. My simple dishcloths are all skewed -and slanted –Is it because I am not counting every stitch? It seems that I can just “eyeball” it, but it sure isn’t working!

8. Good on you! However I love working with pure silk and cotton, then pure merino wool, they are my heart of crochet and knitting,, for my family, then my store. Xxq

9. Marion says:

I talk back to the videos.. What? Oh quit , turn that camera I can’t see if that’s 2 or 3 stitches.LOL I say “Thank you to Mikey at the end.”

I don’t eat blue food. Made you think huh?
    If you give me good customer service I will be back. I like a smile.
    I always let someone go in front of me at check out if they only have an few items and I have a cartload.
    I tend to buy yarn by the color. I’ll figure out what to make later.
    🙂

10. Camelot04 says:

I always have to “rearrange” the dishwasher after someone else has loaded it.

11. Heather R. says:

I save every scrap of yarn two inches or over. I’m not sure what I will do with them yet.
    I will speak aloud a correction of there, their, they’re,too, too, then and than anytime I read it. But would never correct someone.
    Almost every book I have ever read, and I’ve read hundreds, has had mistakes and I can never understand why.
    I hate digging down inside a jar of peanut butter, mayo, jam, etc I’d rather toss it.
    Crocheting, besides reading, is the only hobby or craft I’ve ever stuck with beyond the “figuring out” stage.

12. thanks for sharing…I enjoyed it a lot…

13. Sandy says:

1. As soon as I open facebook I click on The Crochet Crowd to see what is up
    2. I am told it doesn’t take much to blow wind up my skirt … meaning it doesn’t take much to make me happy
    3. I can not understand a pattern I would much sooner watch a tutorial … seeing is believing
    4. I am having so much fun learning to crochet that I am ALMOST ready to tell myself I am a crocheter
    5. There are 3 things that have happened in my life that I will never forget and they are going back to school and getting my grade 12 at the age of 43, going for an elephant ride at African Lion Safari and getting to meet Mikey at the Spinrite Tent Sale
    6. I talk to Mikey when I am following a tutorial with him on youtube and at the end of every one I always thank him (because you know these tutorials are meant for me) LOL

14. Laura Anderson says:

I love yarn also. My quirk with buying yarn is that I pick a skein from the back of the bin; one that is all pretty and untouched. 🙂

15. Wendy Caldwell says:

I have a couple of quirks. 1) I will throw away toothpaste no matter how full if someone leaves the cap off. My family has learned this and promptly puts the cap back on after using it. 2) If someone drinks out if my drink…it’s theirs from that point on.

16. Carol says:

I really appreciate #10 above.
    #11 My cat D.O.G. who passed on 6 weeks ago always sat on my chest when I was crocheting or watching TV on my recliner. She would jump up and rub her face all over my face and take forever to settle down. But when she did settle she was there for the duration. I made many an item with her on my lap. I miss her very much.

• Sandy says:

sorry for your loss Carol 😦

• Jana says:

My heart bleeds for anyone who has lost a pet. As a vet tech of over 30 yrs it still breaks me to know that someone is at home crying over a pet and usually there is no one there to listen. I LISTEN because I have been there so many times. I send my condolences and hugs. if you ever need to chat about it contact me at vettech4ever-vt@yahoo.com
      Jana