It’s About Connection

Crochet Crowd

Grannie Annie from Ontario Canada

I’ve just been to Spinrite Factory Outlet for 4 days last week. What a treat it was for me.

I was very fortunate to meet many fans, most for the very first time during my time. What a joy it is for me on a personal level. It still shocks me that people are excited to meet me. I still feel like the small boy from a little town.

Many fans share their stories with me. How they came to find me and/or why they crochet. We are each connected to each other as we have a similar interest. Even for me, starting The Crochet Crowd was a need to find others that care about crochet like I do… but truth is… it’s much more than just crochet when you really strip away the hook and yarn.

Many stories reflected a personal story of coping with a situation, expressing creativity, self healing and much more. This is what brings us together.

Another woman shared her story about trying to get crochet back into the school system. She was from Germany and its still an important creative outlet that is taught in schools. We don’t see that here in North America unless a teacher or assistant decides to run an extra curricular activity.

I was really moved by this story as the woman shared that creativity doesn’t start when a child enters the school system… nor does creativity end at 3:30 pm when school is over. Creativity and the passion for the arts starts with mom and/or dad at home. It’s true for my personal story and I believe crocheters and knitters know this to be true as well.

Will we ever seen the knitting and crocheting enter the school system as part of the arts program, I highly doubt it. Though I do question the cost of a hook and yarn is so minimal that it seems that it’s something that could go into a budget. The other truth too is that you won’t really see an adult finger painting or doing Popsicle houses or anything along those lines. Though they are important creative outlets to explore as a kid, it seems Knitting and Crochet are life long hobbies that really could be part of the school system.

As easy as I make this sound, I wouldn’t want to be a school teacher. I think there’s a lot of pressure for academics and noticing kid’s behaviors in general, I think it’s a job that is too hard for me on a personal level. My patience would run thin.

One of the grades I did as a kid was a year of pure hell for me. The teacher wasn’t creative and heavy on the books and loved to discipline. She was the type when she is upset, she wouldn’t stop until you were in full tears in front of everyone. Utter humiliation would best describe parts of my year. It was one of the worse years in my school career I had ever faced. Even now, 30 years later, I still have a very bitter taste in my mouth over that year. I don’t think I ever seen her laugh or smile. In retrospect, she was unable to mix in the fun, academics and creativity within the year. A year that I nearly failed. For me, I learn best when there’s a mix of educational learning that is mixed with creativity and joy. Looking at how I run my YouTube, you can see passion, excitement and enthusiasm all mixed in while you learn at the same time. For me, that’s the only way things get to my brain and I’m sure I am not the only one.

Share with me some of your thoughts on this.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to It’s About Connection

1. Patti says:

I learned how to knit in grade 7. We were taught the basics. In high school we had home economics which consisted of 1/2 year of cooking and the rest was sewing. When I was expecting my first child at 23 I bought needles wool & patterns and took up knitting. I had no one to teach me crochet so I bought a book and am self taught. What we learned in school we took with us on our life’s journey. I love your tutorials Mikey! Now unfortunately it seems no one has time to teach our children how to do these wonderful creative things. I will be teaching all four of my grandchildren the art of crochet as I think it is easy to learn at a young age and now I have Mikey’s help :). It is not only a creative outlet, but a sense of accomplishment that the arts give one individually. My grandchildren love the hand knits and crochet things I create for them and know that there is love in every stitch!

2. Chris says:

Although I taught myself how to knit at age 8 or 9, I was never interested in Home Economics in High School. I was much more into the Science classes. I still did knitting at home. I remember my mom commenting to me about being able to knit and watch TV at the same time without loosing a stitch even at that young age. I told her then and I still do, it’s all by touch. She is not a crafter and would watch me in total amazement. My great aunt introduced me to crochet. Now, if my hands are busy I’m happy!!!

3. Tina Lawson says:

You are so right. They continually cut the budgets for arts in school. It may be music or regular arts but they are badly need in school. I learned math better in art. And home ec classes thani did in regular math. They put computors in all the classrooms for elementary school and forget to teach not only the basics, but how to have fun learning. Having kids create by crocheting, knitting, quilting will not only help with learning but teach kids to give back to society.

4. kathy moore says:

Good day! i loved your story. I am new to the internet and the Crochet Crowd. I am not to sure what a blog is……..
    you do amazing work… KUDO’s to you!

5. Jan says:

So much of the Arts (sewing, crochet, knit, embroidery, ceramics, painting, woodworking ect.) have been cut from the curriculum. And I am amazed at how many young woman do not know how to cook!! But I do see some return to the creativity, with the help of places like, Pinterest, Ravelry, even selling on Etsy. And some how a good many of them have found there way to you Mikey. YOU have become the teacher some have missed in school. You have put the fun back into learning. Little did you know when you had that witch of a teacher way back when, that some day you literally could thumb your nose at her and show her what a GOOD teachers looks like, in spite of her!! And you have “connected” in more ways than you probably know. Keep the bloopers coming, you always make my day!

6. Sandy says:

I think it would be wonderful to get a program like this in schools or even after school programs. I suffered through school with bullying and depression and I ended up quitting when I was 16. Since then I have gone back and got my grade 12 which I am proud of even if it was 30 years later. I am new to the crochet world and I find it helps me with many things I still suffer depression, anxiety and panic attacks but with the help of Mikey I have learned to relax and grab a hook, some yarn and a tutorial and it has helped me so much. I am now confident enough to make lap afghans and I am going to take them to nursing homes and give them to people that have few or no visitors. Meeting you was one of the highs in my life and it was like meeting a friend when I got to the tent sale I seen you sitting at the picnic table talking to someone and I started to shake and I got goose bumps I couldn’t believe that I was going to actually get to meet you. You are the sweetest and you along with Diva Dan and Ian the Intern make an amazing team full of love, fun and laughter. Listen to me it has been a week since I met you and i’m still excited !!!

7. Lorraine Insco says:

My first grade class was awful. I spent 6 weeks in the hospital with ulcers thanks to my teacher & my abusive mother. My grandma taught me crochet, knit, sewing, quilting & to cook. I can’t sit down without something to do in my hands. I took every home economics class that was offered during my years in high school, I lived in a small town where there was no middle school, and thanks to grandma I taught my teacher lots of things. Mikey, love your websites & tutorials. Thanks for being you.

8. Lara says:

I’m 67 and had that teacher who nearly destroyed me. It still comes to mind every now and then. Thank the Lord, the teacher for my next school year was the opposite. She was kind and very artistic. She loved to share this with her pupils.

9. Patty Wolfinger says:

That being said, I AM finding that the older teens and 20ish crew are really showing an interest in slowing down and learning some of the arts such as crocheting. I just taught an 18 year old how to crochet this weekend and she really “took off” with it!!!!

• Jayltnn says:

Patty, I am noticing this as well. There are so many blogs out there written by young women who are placing their families and arts and nature as their priorities. I love this and have learned much from them too!

10. Patty Wolfinger says:

Working in the school system, I couldn’t agree more with Klayr and Robin. Teachers are forced to primarily “teach the test” and after that, it’s focusing on disruptive behaviors especially on the middle school level. This year will find me working the high school level, so we will have to see how that is.

11. Sandra Roman says:

Sixth was the earliest Home Economics was offered in public school schools back in the 50’s-60’s. But. it was a course I enjoyed immensely so I continued it through high school. As a freshmen we were required to learn to knit baby booties.. I made them and had no one to give them to so I sent the booties to an aunt in Florida (I lived in NY then) about to have a new baby. Several years later I found myself with time on my hands due to a fragile pregnancy Looking for something to fill those long hours I remembered the knitting class. Right then I decided that I had seen crochet and liked it better so I was going to learn how to do that. Went shopping and found a Coats & Clark ‘Learn How’ book. Been crocheting since. That was 45+ years ago. It was the teacher that had made such an impression on me to learn knitting that gave me the drive to learn crochet. Have never heard of a public school offering knitting or crochet to its students since then. I think it was the teacher’s choice agenda.

12. Mancy Pants says:

It was so nice too see you again, second time, and I am still dam gun shy too intro. myself go figure! …… I was the lady with the screaming daughter that was excited too see you hehe! you were like ‘Me” 🙂 I also meet you at the creative festival , you gave me niece a crochet hook too get her started 🙂

13. I agree with Klayr…the standardization of education is taking away the ability to promote any creativity. But, I also think that is where parents, grandparents, friends, scout leaders can come into play. And yes…play…my grandmother taught me to crochet and encouraged my cross stitching, and we made jelly together. And to this day when I do any of the above, I think of her and her encouragement.

14. Debbie Fesel says:

Mickey, I love your tutorials on YouTube, it’s so easy to follow, and you make it fun

15. Sherry Blair says:

I know how you feel about your teacher. I had one like that in 4th grade. To this day, I am 62, so it was a while ago, I remember how she made me feel little. I crochet all year long. I wouldn’t know what to do if I didn’t have some yarn in my hands as I watch TV.

16. Klayr Clark says:

I don’t think that it is that budget issue that keeps most schools from teaching crochet, it’s the fact that schools teach to the standardization tests. Students rarely do anything else these days. Teachers are losing their free reign in the classroom, and are being dictated by tests that don’t mean much to a student in the long run. Time for creativity is being crushed by the “need” to get higher test scores. They are cutting recess in favor of more class time, and PE would lose out, too, if it wasn’t for the fact that kids NEED exercise in there somewhere. It’s sad that the school system is so authoritative these days….