Drinking Spirits & Stitching with The Tennessee Stitch

I have been working on a big project.  The Tree of Life Aghan in Red Heart Super Saver Soft Navy.  I found this pattern on Ravelry.com, that linked to Lion Brand’s website.  There is a crochet pattern and a knit pattern. Here is the crochet pattern.

The Tree of Life Afghan Pattern

Crochet Tree of Life Afghan in progress

Crochet Tree of Life Afghan in progress

Now that you know what I have been working on let me tell you the story of the frog.  As a crocheter, I often find myself needing to work with my hands constantly.  I seem to always have a project in my hand or close by, to work on when I am doing other things (i.e. watching TV).

This past weekend, I was spending most of the time with my boyfriend.  We were sitting around the house, doing much-a-nothin’.  So, we decided to run to the new liquor store in town and get a few spirits.  The goal was to relax and re-coop from a long hard week.  That is exactly what we did.  When we got home, I mixed us a few drinks and we began talking…..mostly about nothing but also about everything at the same time. LOL!

The hooker in me kicked in. I needed to make my hands busy!  So I gathered my afghan in progress and started hooking away.  Flapping my jaw, drinking, and hands flying.  I actually got some “yarn burn”.  That’s when you are crocheting so fast that the yarn tail wrapped on your non-hook hand is moving so fast that it burns your finger (kind of like rug burn).  I had a blast and soon enough I was fast asleep.

The next morning, I awoke feeling relaxed and refreshed.  I decided that I wanted to spend most of the day hooking away on my afghan.  I grabbed it, sat it in my lap, and started to read the pattern to catch up on where I was.  That’s when I noticed it.  I have NO IDEA how I crocheted what I did.  12 rows of something that wasn’t even in the pattern.  Somehow, I made a pillow in the middle of the afghan.  I looked at my blanket…..I still can not, for the life of me, find out how I created rounds in an afghan.  It’s like I created a pocket to stuff full of poly-fill for an amigirumi!  It was beautiful, but not even in the pattern.  I’m now guessing that liquor makes me a little TOO CREATIVE!  LOL!

I frogged 12 rows of the afghan.  In the middle of frogging, I realized that I had added a new skein of yarn in that mess.  Somehow, I also managed to weave in the ends already.  I spent, in total, 30 minutes playing with that frog.  Too bad I didn’t get a prince out of it!

The Moral of this story:

You really shouldn’t drink and crochet! HAHAHAHAHA! CHEERS!

So my questions to you are:

• Do you drink and crochet?
  • Have you ever had to frog that much?! LOL

Connect with Danielle on her blog CrochettoDani and on Facebook Crochetto.

Leave me your comments below on any other tips you may have? Also, if you have another topic you wish for me to investigate, leave me a comment sharing your ideas too!

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, The Tennessee Stitch: Daniele Dyer and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Drinking Spirits & Stitching with The Tennessee Stitch

1. Pam says:

I don’t drink alcohol because of the medications I take. I drink Pepsi while crocheting! So, no I’ve never frogged that much in my life!!!

2. Patti Blake says:

well, at least you all can use drinks as and excuse. I was working on my juicy fruits afghan and just flying on it only to realize that it was getting steadily wider . It amounted to ten double rows to come out, 20 in all. I have no excuse other than I was a little sleepy! lol

3. winnie says:

what is frogging, I’ve been crocheting since the 5th grade and yet I’m not familiar with the term. Also if you’d like I have page on fb. lady,lady,lady crochet, check it out and give me a like if you like.

4. Audrey Cook says:

I believe crochet and wine go together. At least that is what I tell my husband!

And yes, I have had to frog that many rows… At about row 20 of an afghan (for my supervisor) I realized that I had made a mistake in row 3! It was a bad one too.

5. oh my………. would love to see a pic of it

6. Jeannette Pirkle says:

Not only drinking but sleeping and continue to knit or crochet. My husband found me several times still knitting with my eyes closed. I have had to re-knit or crochet when I wake up in the morning wondering ‘when did this happen?’ I haven’t even had medicine or drink, just tired and relaxed. Once my blood pressure was up at the Dentist. I told the assistant to leave for about 5 minutes and come back and take it again. It totally went down, I had knit several rows of a very simple item. They were able to continue with no problems after I calmed down.

7. I never drank while crocheting, might end up dancing with my work in hand, but the last thing I frogged was a dress I was making for my granddaughter (13 rounds) which was way too big anyway so after the third time of trying to re-size it and it wasn’t working…I called it quits! I always say “Strike three, you’re out!” … I found a nicer dress pattern anyway 🙂

• Danielle Dyer says:

Yep! Thats a GREAT philosophy *giggle* Some patterns just need to be re-written in an easier-to-understand way. 🙂

8. Karen Lara says:

Haha Mikey…Im surprised to hear that you know what EUG BURN is….lmao …NOT…HHAHAHAHA

9. Frances says:

I love to drink wine and crochet. So far, I haven’t had to frog anything but I see how it could happen. Sorry Dani!!

10. creativeheart says:

once when i was 17 i had to frog 16 rows of a shell afghan, i had never taken benadryl before and my grandmother gave me 2, because i was sneezing alot. needless to say that is a night i don’t remember and i had a lot of mistakes to work on.

• Danielle Dyer says:

Oh my!! Benadryl does me the same way. My allergies are so bad that I have to take one every night before bed. I sleep so good and can breath well the next day 🙂

11. Linda Stelmach says:

Don’t drink at all…crocheting isn’t the only thing it messes up 🙂

12. ness says:

omg yes!! i did that last week. Sat up til about 2 am crocheting a nice wavy blanket for my daughter while watching tv. when i looked at it the next morning i had about 10 rows that were totally off yet i dinstinctly remember “checking” every row before i started the next!! Oh well, even though i had to start all over i felt i had actually been doing something other than just looking at the goggle box, and it taught me to just stick with tea while crocheting…………lol

13. Evelyn says:

I sometimes drink and crochet too! But since I don’t really do many projects that involve counting or complex patterns I usually am fine! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story!

14. Thomas says:

I’ve made some mistakes before, adding a stitch or forgetting a stitch. I just increase or decrease, as long as it’s not a HUGE mistake. If it’s just a stitch or two, it’s often not noticed in the finished project. If it is, then it’s just a signature. “My special mark” to show this was handmade (Often it’s not even noticeable in the finished piece – plus accents can be added after to cover). The nice thing about crochet is if it’s rows of mistakes it can easily be pulled out and fixed.

15. wendy says:

Yes, I drink and crochet on occasion. From time to time have also had my share of frogging adventures in the morning. Hey! You may not have been following the pattern, and gotten off track, but at least the work you frogged out was beautiful!! Lol!

16. Laura Murphy says:

I try not to drink and hook at the same time. It makes for bad counting and double stitching. LOL I was just looking at ‘The Tree of Life’ pattern and was going to print it out for a wedding gift and noticed it had updates to the pattern. I will read thru it first. Watch out for those Spirits can get the best of your hooking. 🙂

• Danielle Dyer says:

I think a great wedding gift would be the Tree of Love afghan……google that one. BEAUTIFUL! I would cry if I got that as a wedding gift!

17. Chardonnay and crochet mix well until late at night. Going to frog half a hat that I decided to do color work on while feeling a bit toasty last night.

18. Robin Comfort says:

No I haven’t drank too much while crocheting, but yes…I have had to take out and start from the beginning WAY TOO many times! If I don’t GET IT after the 3rd frogging, then I rethink my need to create that project!

19. Leslie says:

Great story! I have had wine along with my crocheting, but not conversation on top of it. 🙂 And I have frogged 12 rows, but it was just an iPad cover, when I realized that when I got to the point where the next row started, I had somehow increased for several rows and added a bizarre (and unhelpful) outward slant to one side of the project. Ribbit, ribbit!