A Pattern For The Very First Time

Noel Granny Afghan Pattern

Free Crochet Pattern, Noel Granny Throw with Video Tutorial.

I don’t know if you are like me, but I am admitting that reading patterns takes me a bit getting used to. It’s nothing to do with not being smart enough or anything like that but I always find the first run through a pattern is the hardest for me.

It is the most difficult task for me as I tend to skip over vital information by scanning through and ‘I think I know what I am doing!’ Only to realize a few steps later that my stitches aren’t adding up and I realized I hadn’t finished the rest of the sentence a few steps ago and I am up that famous creek!

For me, teaching on YouTube is a challenge because I cannot teach a pattern without having done it myself first. It’s the testing periods where I learn my tips and things to watch out for. Some people can read and teach the pattern at the same time on camera, I’m not one of them. It would save me a great deal of time if I could be gifted enough to do this… but I am like the average person when it comes to this stuff… or least I think so.

Occasionally, sometimes you will hear me have a break through where I just realized a key tip as it’s usually the 2nd – 4th time I have done the pattern but it’s live on camera. Maybe there was a common element or something. If I taught and did the pattern in real time without practicing and scripting myself, my video would be a huge disaster as I would have mental break through and potentially change my advice over and over and over.

In the videos coming up next week, this realization happened to me several times during the testing period. I had actually done my sample 4 times before getting it right… no, it’s not hard… I was making too many assumptions and skipping vital directions as I was crocheting. During the video I sound like I have it all in my memory, which I do, but it’s because it would be my 5th time running through the pattern and I can see the commonality of what the pattern is asking for. Once you see the repetitive natural of all steps, figuring out the next step is a breeze. So when I run through the pattern a second time after discovering I was successful, I can relax and have a martini while I hook.

Please don’t say I am the only one like this… does anyone else go through the same thing? Leave your comments below.

PS. The Picture above is the Noel Granny Throw. Get the Free Pattern and Matching Video Tutorial. At this time, only the large square of the two is filmed. The smaller square is coming up soon.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to A Pattern For The Very First Time

1. I am exactly the same. I have found that EVERY pattern has a unique “rhythm” and for me the trick is always trying to find that rhythm. Once I have found it (which can take a couple of times if it is more complicated) I am almost able to go on auto pilot, because not only has my brain learned the rhythm but so has my hands. 🙂

2. mawmom says:

I am so a skimmer! Then it’s frog, frog, frog LOL!

3. Yoely says:

Definitely you’re not the only one. It always happens to me and sometimes is really frustrating but after trying a couple of times I get the hang of it and I feel on top of a mountain! 😀

4. you are NOT the only one.

5. Rosanne says:

I do the same as you. Usually, I just look at the picture and tell myself,”hmmmmm, I think I can do this”. Then I “skim” through the pattern and tell myself, “Looks pretty easy. Shouldn’t be a problem.” Start working on it, reading more carefully, and the swear words start. “Thit, this isn’t as easy as it looks. Oh, hell-o, what stitch is that? Why the fug did I ever start this thing? Now, I have to rip it out and try again.” I always promise myself I will read the pattern more carefully the next time, so I don’t waste my time trying things that are too advanced for me. Yeah, right. Next time. LOL!

6. Carolyn says:

Oh my gracious! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I sometimes feel so dumb when trying to figure out a pattern, and it often takes me 3 or 4 times before I really get it. Then I write little notes on the pattern, so that if I come back to again a year or so later, it should make more sense to me. Sure am glad to know that I am not the only one who doesn’t understand it clearly the first time through.

7. Liz Bell says:

Love your site… it’s re-invigourated crochet for me! And yes, it can take a couple of run throughs of a pattern to “get it”!!

8. Michelle Rome Thomas says:

I’ve got several books that are supposed to teach you how to read patterns but honestly it all looks and sounds like Greek to me. I really need to throw myself into your tutorials that teach pattern reading:) Thankful for all your hard work! I can confidently say without your inspiration & tutorials I wouldn’t be crocheting all that I do today!

9. Barbara Jacobs says:

I have “assumed” I knew what I was doing on a new pattern more times than I care to count. Which usually leads to…frogging. But after I decide to sit down, focus, count, recount, read the pattern, the next thing I know …light bulb, followed by “Oh ya, now I get it.” So don’t feel bad Mickey, you are not alone. It just proves we are human. LOL

10. amanda lamm says:

i am horrid at starting a pattern before i read through the whole thing!

11. Kay says:

Like the others I do this to. I find I may crochet what I expected to read and not what I actually read. I found myself in that very situation this morning with a Tunisian afghan, So now it is frogging time. Grrrrrrr….. I have spent to may hours to trash the whole thing.

12. Debra says:

It happens on a regular basis. Part of my problem is when I read things, I often misread words – gets me in trouble with crossword puzzles and all kinds of things. I now write a pattern out in segments until I can do it thru without mistakes.

13. Chris Horner says:

I do the same thing all the time. Unless the pattern is easy and/or quite repetitive, I often have to start over, because,ooopps! I missed a step.

14. craftyteapot says:

Somewhere I read a suggestion which has really helped me with this problem. Use a highlighter and as you read through the pattern, highlight the commas. I tend to miss parts of the instructions in the middle of a sentence. Also, I don’t want to think what my projects would look like if I was brave enough to add a martini to the mix. LOL! Thanks for your great videos and your down-to-earth attitude.

15. Reneé says:

All I know is keep doing what you are doing for I gave up on the Juicyfruit afghan and the Corner to corner afghan which I have now made one of each and just finishing my 6th corner to corner scarf. I too think I know how to do it but it is so much easier learning from you and the tips you give along the way are awesome!

16. Leslie says:

I’ll never be as accomplished as you when it comes to crocheting so it is good to know that even the pros go through the same as we do. I have those issues, too, because it seems like all patterns start out the same. That makes feel lots better when I am frogging lol.

• livingxdeadxgrrl says:

I don’t know how to read patterns at all. With the help of your videos I am trying to look at the written pattern and following along with what you are saying.

It sounds like you are having some doubts to your teaching. PLEASE DON’T! I also view you as a pro.

I knew absolutely nothing about crochet until I followed your instructional videos. I have always had a hard time learning to construct anything by hand. If you can teach me you can teach anyone.

17. LindY G Sherrod says:

Yes, I most certainly do.

18. I do that all the time!

19. I read a pattern through 3 or 4 times before i even think of starting it.

20. Lala Chappell says:

Oh, you are definitely not the only one who does that! I read through a pattern and if I come to a “what?” part, I say “Nope, can’t do that one! It’s way beyond my ability”… that’s what I have to stop doing…. I need to at least try and I have learned this from you, Mikey! I read the pattern for the Ocean Waves and thought it was going to be too hard, but then I watched your video and SAW how to do it and it wasn’t anything like I was perceiving it to be when I read it!
    Even though you are NOT perfect, I am still in awe of you and your talents! Thank you, Mikey!

21. gma muffin says:

I have the same problem of skimming thinking I got it only to have to rip it and start over and re-read the pattern. That’s why I look to see if you did a tutorial first! Thank you for all you do to teach so many of us!
    I lover your bloopers, I love your giggles it just makes me giggle with you!

22. jackie says:

I thought i was the only one now i don’t feel so bad about my trial and errors knowing we all seem to do the same thing, lol. But you know that is the fun of discovery and learning something new, You should have watched me this week trying to make bath puff for my niece i must have had to pull it out about 3 times becayse i skipped or added steps, or just was not paying attention, i made it the first time with all the yarn in a “peaches and cream” cone (1 pound of yarn) the thing was so big that the jolly green giant would have had a hard time using it. lol but it was fun anyway.

23. Cathy says:

I used to have a bad habit of perusing a pattern and thinking, oh, yeah; no problem. I can do this. Then, when I started working the pattern, I discovered that I didn’t understand a step or two and would give up in frustration. Now, I use my “practice” yarn and try to figure it out before launching off and buying all the materials for the new project. I always appreciate when the artist supplies a diagram to the written pattern. It’s immensely helpful.

24. Lana says:

Happens to me all the time, too! My husband laughs at me when I have to re do a row because I didn’t catch it! And, silly thing is, I have realized I do it, so I try and pay extra attention to reading the pattern and I still flub it!

25. Brenda Maxwell says:

Mikey I am the same way when it comes to reading the patterns and assuming I know it. Sometimes if the glitch isn’t too noticeable I leave it in and just keep going.

26. Linda Stelmach says:

You are not alone…even when I was a glass tech couldn’t picture my project on paper. I use to make a cardboard replica so I could see what I was attempting in 3-d. Crochet is a lot like that for me have to see it, do it, maybe frog it a few times before its good. My mom taught me if you take out a mistake and fix it you are truly putting your love into it. I miss her…but your videos are great because you do the job of working out the kinks for us…..thank you mikey and staff you rock….Linda

27. Erin Long says:

I’ve gotten overconfident myself, ending up frogging a project a bajillion times before reading the entire pattern all the way through and having the epiphany. 🙂

28. Mikey, I often start a pattern 3 or 4 time before I get on a roll.

29. Hey there! When it comes to written patterns verses a pictorial pattern, well, I prefer the written. Silly me, I only recently began to realize, though, that patterns can be written in all kinds of lingo! God forbid I start reading a “British” version with my “American” mindset! I end up with so many twists and turns that I have to say the finished item is definitely an original!

30. This is why I end up frogging everything I ever start! The fluffy meringue blanket pattern has been torture for me.

31. Rusty says:

Could not agree more. I made a whole sweater wrong because I was repeating the wrong section. my eyes skipped a whole paragraph. When you have never done the pattern and don’t know what its supposed to look like, you can make some easy mistakes doing the pattern. Fortunately, the second time I made it, I had figured out the mistake and it turned out beautiful. I still have a huge mistake to frog though. Ughh.

32. Beth Anne says:

On several occasions I have started an afghan with the MC only to discover a few rows in that it was one of the other colors called for in the pattern. Most recently–Juicy Fruits!

33. Sandy says:

I am so happy to say I can crochet because of you I too can not read a pattern so I look for you on youtube and I love your tutorials so much you make learning fun and easy. I am going to the tent sale in Listowel on the 12th and i hope to see you. Thank you so much for doing your blogs and tutorials.

34. Omg, yes, yes and yes, I almost always have trouble the first time around with a pattern. Sometimes I have to redo it over and over again to get it right and I’m pretty advanced with crochet. You are in really good company 🙂 I have had some patterns I thought I would never get, but as I continue to work with them most of the time it becomes clear after struggling through it over and over again.

I tend to skim over instructions too, I’m really trying to get better about that, but maybe there is just no way to get around doing it several times. I love your tutorials and all the fun and wonderful crochet patterns you give us. thank you!

35. Elke Teeuwen says:

No, you are not alone on this. I often think I know what the patten instructions WOULD be until things don’t work out. It’s the same with Ikea instructions, people who say it’s difficult or things are missing are just not reading the instructions and do things their own way.
    I love doily patterns, they teach me to read well, learn me new stitches and work out the repetitive stitches in them. I can use those skills with other patterns.

On the other hand, if a pattern has a mistake, first I doubt myself over and over, before I can admit it’s not me who made the mistake.

36. Tiina says:

Yes Mickey I have the same problem when reading a new pattern. I tend to think I know what is coming and then it doesn’t match up. So yes I read patterns over and over again till I get it right. Sometimes even more than you.

37. Rachel says:

This is a common thing for me, too. What keeps me going when I want to throw up my hands is that little thrill when I get it right. : )

38. mrs dee says:

I tend to get confident and assume the next step in a pattern and soon realize I missed a step, or two.