Piracy, Not Just The On The Seas Anymore

Social Media, Ian M.

Ian, our New Crochet Crowd Intern

Ahoy Mateys!

As some of you may have noticed, some of you are having issues downloading videos from YouTube. This is not something we can change. YouTube has decided to start cracking down on piracy and illegal downloading by implementing processes preventing people from downloading videos they don’t own the rights to.

That’s right. Piracy. Piracy in modern times has a new definition, it’s about copyright infringement. Copyright infringement is when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

Downloading videos to your own computers directly from YouTube has been a Terms of Service Violation ever since I can remember. YouTube has put up roadblocks to help prevent this from occurring easily.

Long story short, when you download content from YouTube, you’re reproducing the content without authorization. You are more than welcome to embed our videos, share the links to where our videos can be found, but you may not download or take our videos to another outside source without our authorization. YouTube is trying to prevent this. We have received several complaints where people are attempting to download our tutorial videos but there are errors within the downloads. This isn’t The Crochet Crowd creating these errors, this is YouTube protecting Mikey’s content.

For more information about copyright and piracy check out the following videos

History of Copyright Laws Instruction Video

YouTube Copyright School

Thank you for your understanding.

Ian – The Crochet Crowd Intern

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Piracy, Not Just The On The Seas Anymore

1. Kathryn says:

it is about bloody time that YouTube started cracking down on that piracy stuff. I don’t even know how to download a video anyway but even if I did, I would ask first.

2. I’m with Anne..I never even knew you could download the YouTube content! Never thought it was even possible. LOL Well, you can tell that piracy is not endemic here!

3. Laura Murphy says:

Good article and it’s about time Youtube did this. 🙂

4. Anne crofts says:

I agree with Harriet W. I like links and never download anything, mainly because i do respect copy rights and wouldnt begin to know how… you see, i suck with computers… you have no idea how proud i am, that i know how to do what im doing right now… type and post a comment… lol

5. If I want to share something I usually send the link rather than post the video, or article that I want to share. If the person I send it to is interested they will take the time to click on the link (takes only seconds) and either read,watch or listen to what I want to share. I, personally, would feel very violated is someone used something I had posted and make it their own.

6. Peggy Warden says:

Good article,very informative.Thanks to the whole crew at crochet crowd for all you do for us who love crocheting so much!

7. Nora Hernandez says:

Thank you Ian I didn’t know about this. Unfortunately I can’t watch them yet, I’ve exceeded my data limit. I’ll have to go to the library I can use their internet all day no limit and it`s free 🙂

8. Great content and informative. We appreciate your taking the time to keep up in the loop. I have an embedded video from YouTube on my website and need to go check to see if it displays properly. Thanks for all you do to help out us crocheters of the world.

9. Lala Chappell says:

It is amazing how many people don’t know this! Thank you Ian for enlightening those who didn’t know!

10. Robin Comfort says:

Excellent post, Ian! We should be reminded more often about copy write violations. I appreciate the time you took to reeducate us!