Job Satisfaction Isn’t A Myth

Fibre Festival

Alpacas at Nuestadt’s Fibre Festival.

Yesterday, I had a candid conversation with our Crochet Crowd Intern, Ian. Ian has now worked with me for four weeks now. He’s with me for the summer only.

With the Crowd growing as much as it has, I am constantly overwhelmed by communications and keeping on top of everything. Cathy is our front line support as you see on The Crochet Crowd. She doesn’t get involved in anything programming related as it’s all done from my studio here at my home studio.

With Cathy and I, we were both coming into The Crochet Crochet prior to the boom of what we know today as The Crowd. We grew this together on a casual basis and learned to adapt as we grew. She’s really like a sister to me as she came to me as a complete stranger in 2009. Her strength is front line and as much help as she can give while raising two boys and taking care of her hubby. I love the way she encourages people.

Ian was brought on as a contracted position to help me this summer make changes and get programming updated behind the scenes. I realized during his interview that he had such amazing talent with programming and community building relationships. Though I wasn’t intentionally looking for a programmer, this was an added bonus.

Ian has taught me a ton of new stuff. His young brain fires off ideas and knows how to implement them. I have to say, though he was an intern where I am supposed to teach him things, this working relationship has flipped over to the point where he is sharing his skills with me. I’ve never heard of the fad called duck face! I’m probably too old or as I would like to say to him, “I’m not old, just not informed… there’s a difference!” 😀

In our Candid one month evaluation, I asked him to tell me what he believes I have taught him as I am self doubting that I am teaching him much of anything. He said something so profound to me. “Job satisfaction isn’t a myth!”

I was really taken back by that comment as I am a workaholic thriving off the output I do for others. He’s never believed that anyone can be happy and work at the same time. He feels his effort is for the greater good making a positive difference in others without ever having met them face to face. I have to say from my point of view, he smiles as he works, reads viewers comments and when he’s talking to me about a viewer, he’s able to identify their photograph without having to look them up on Facebook. I know exactly who he talking about by visualizing their photo on Facebook in my brain. Seems to me, he sees The Crochet Crowd from my point of view and the meaning I have put into developing this community.

I have to say, personally speaking, Ian has reminded me that the younger generation has a lot to offer. I wouldn’t have seen this in Ian without an opportunity to prove himself and become a valuable asset. Though he will never work with me forever and ever amen, he will go far. The development of the Forum was completely his idea and programming implementation. He’s done an incredible job. We had a couple hiccups of the signing up but we are doing our best.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Job Satisfaction Isn’t A Myth

1. Ian, I wish you all of the luck in the world, you have had an opportunity to work with people that like what they are doing, let that be an example to you in all of your future positions. If you do not like what you are doing a job is purely work, if you like what you are doing, you will cherish the time you spend at work, it will not be a job, it will be a pleasure.

Mikey, Dan and Cathy, I am so glad that you have Ian for his summer internship. Please do not judge any future interns or compare them to Ian, all will have something to offer you as you will also have something to offer them.

2. Laurene says:

Thank you both, Mikey and Ian, for all your wonderful work here. I hope you know how much we all appreciate it.

3. Rose says:

well Ian first of all ,wish you all the best. Mikey you would be an awesome boss for sure, and no doubt Ian will take a lot ,you helped him with ,you need a team to make things work .All the best to you also Mikey.

4. Cherie says:

Never say never for our paths have many crossings:) I will say that loving what you do is a gift and Ian has learned that early-which can be a blessing and a curse all at the same time. When you truly love what you do though you find that you work harder, work longer and find ways to increase the ability of the project to meet the needs of the user–and THAT gives you more than any paycheck ever could. May you all find those special, wonderful relationships down the road for they make everything you do worth smiling about even when things are crashing, bumping and in general just being difficult. In the end, we’ve all gained so many positive things from this adventure–happy trails to everyone! Thank you all!

5. Carol says:

Keep Ian, keep Ian, keep Ian. He has made so many valuable contributions. It is so nice that you appreciate his work.

6. Ian has been a tremendous asset & help to you Mikey…don’t let him go! If he does leave when his contract is over, you should realize that no other intern will measure up to the standards that Ian has set. He is that special person that we are lucky to have work with us…one in a million 🙂 Just sayin’…

7. Anne crofts says:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. I’m so glad that Ian is happy in the work he is doing for us all, Mikey – having worked many times in jobs I hated, it’s so very nice to hear that this isn’t the case for your good selves 🙂
    Finding the Crochet Crowd has been such a positive thing in my life, that it’s lovely to know we, too, are helping to keep you all happy in your work! 🙂

9. victoria says:

Great work Ian, and to you and Mikey both, fantastic that you are able to have an equal relationship and see the value that each of you have to offer in one another!! That, is perfection!

10. Lala Chappell says:

I got goose bumps while reading this! It is amazing how your whole team fulfills each others needs by each providing their own skills & personality traits while having the intuition to finish each other’s thoughts. Ian has been such an asset to The Crowd and his input can be seen & heard in your writings, Mikey. I know you, as well as WE, are sure going to miss Ian when he completes his internship with you. Ian, I wish you all the best in your next endeavor; however, if you choose to stay on, you will make soooo many Hookers happy!!

11. Dawn Watts says:

Keep up lthe good work everyone and congratulations to Ian for the wonderful job done here this summer. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do next. Mikey, this was a wonderful article. Glad the praise is there for Ian………sometimes the behind the scenes work goes unnoticed by most of us.

12. Ruth Loughlin says:

Although you two will never work together again, your thoughts will be there. What would Ian do, what would Mikey do. Your work ethics are the same. Do you best at what you do, and smile in the satisfaction of your finished work. It is something that no one else can have, it is not taught it is something you learn. And, what a better teacher for Ian then Mikey.. Job Well Done Mikey..

13. Klayr Clark says:

I will agree that job satisfaction isn’t a myth. The fact that both of you have found what makes you happy is wonderful!

14. Cathy says:

Sorry, one more comment…

Ian, I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors:)

15. pat says:

And that, my dear Michael, is a very important lesson for him. Too many people have never experienced it. On a side note…LOL on the “duck face” fad.

16. Devine says:

We have lesson to teach and to learn from everyone on our we just have to be open to the experince! Love the new forums!

17. Cathy says:

Young people enrich our lives. I thoroughly enjoyed my working relationships with the younger generation before my retirement. Their assets lie in teaching us “old dogs” more from a physical perspective. However, we older folk lead by example. Win, win.

18. Tammy says:

Wow with a person Like Ian I wouldn’t let him go.. Sounds like a great asset to you. I love reading the posts that you but out and seeing crocheted items I am a crocheter myself love to crochet been doing it since I was 9 my mother taught me. I just have trouble some times do to my condition called Fibromyalgia but in retrospect it helps me keep sain. Thank you for your posts and sharing.. and God bless Ian for helping you out this summer