Your Opinion on Granny Squares… Please Vote

I am currently doing a pattern which is getting me think about my audience. From what I can tell, I think I have an audience that likes granny squares to be solidly attaching to each other. The pattern I am working on joins the neighbouring granny square at 4 points leaving large gaps.

For me personally, I’m not much of a fan of that as I prefer my squares to be more firm together.

I’m looking at a pattern, which I am not going to share just yet as I want to run a tutorial on it. I am thinking that my audience would prefer to see it joined tighter together at the end of the project and not join as I go. I noticed with our Amazing Shawl many people were not too pleased with joining as you go. It could just be a personal preference. I personally prefer to join my squares are the end and save the headaches of trying to attach as I go.

So below is my poll for you… you can tell me what you prefer.

1. Do you prefer your granny squares afghans be tight fitting together whether it is sewed or stitched together at the end of the project?
  2. Do you prefer your granny afghans to be attached as you go?
  3. Do you prefer solid looking or lacy looking granny squares?
  4. What types of granny afghans do you tend to avoid?

Share your comments by replying to this blog. I would love to hear your point of view.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

100 Responses to Your Opinion on Granny Squares… Please Vote

1. Laurene says:

I prefer a firm joining, and I like to do the joining after all the squares are made. More solid squares seem to appeal to me, but I love a few different ones that are lacy in the middle and more solid on the edges. I don’t care for ones with a big
    3D portion. There’s nothing worse than getting wrapped up all comfortable then finding you’re on a lump.

2. Most of the time I use flat braid crochet to connect them. At other times I use the ‘connect as you go’ method. Sometimes I use a single crochet, especially if I want a distinguishing ridge as part of the texture. Lastly, I use an invisible stitch method which goes into the center of each dc, taking turns from one side to the other, and then pulling the thread tight (not extremely tight) so that it is hidden inside of the joined area. For me, there is nothing appealing about the whip-stitch as it distracts from the lovely crochet stitches.

3. sara says:

Do you prefer your granny squares afghans be tight fitting together whether it is sewed or stitched together at the end of the project?—– Depends on how the square is worked up, if it is lacy then it might not look as good tightly stitched, were as if its a solid block or mostly solid having the edges have gaps can be off putting.
    There is a good use for both methods you just have to judge which would look best with the squares your making.

Do you prefer your granny afghans to be attached as you go? —-If there is not a specific lay out and you can just granny away I enjoy attach as you go. If there is a pattern and you have to make different squares in specific places I prefer to just assemble after all the squares are made.

Again its a preference and easy option here. I am a fan of attach as you go as it seems to waste less yarn and keeps track of all my squares. However if I am making multiple styles of grannys and they have to be in cretin spots I tend to work up each batch of grannys then attach them to avoid mistakes.

Do you prefer solid looking or lacy looking granny squares?— I am actully a fan of both. I love lacy light weight stuff for summer and more solid stuff for fall/winter.

What types of granny afghans do you tend to avoid? —-I avoid the afghans made with the basic Granny Square. I want to be drawn into a pattern, and unless the basic squares are done up in some amazing color changes I find the finished product to be plain and tired looking.

4. Laraine Redmond says:

The yarn I am using to make my granny afghan is cotton. Any thoughts on which way would be better to join?

5. I try to avoid the granny’s with the large spaces between stitches, they are not as warm and have a tendency to get snagged more often. As for the joining, that is a different story, I prefer to be able to lay out my squares, especially if I am using odds and ends of yarn so that no two clash and also, when the weather is hot as it has a tendency to do during the summer, I make them and put them in a bag or tote and join them together when it gets cooler so it feels good with them on your lap. It is also a good way to put a sampler together, When I see a pattern that I want to try, I make one or two squares and then put them in their place. 6″, 9″ 12″ and then when I get enough join, some whip stitch others I crochet together on the top side to add to and separate colors. I try to stay away form grannies that are mostly space, but I do like to do the lacy and just finished one with cables to all four corners, that was fun.

6. Do you prefer your granny squares afghans be tight fitting together whether it is sewed or stitched together at the end of the project? – Tight Fitting, sewn or stitched at the end works great, then it’s easier to do “small” projects as I have time and later attach it all and make it into a larger project 🙂
    Do you prefer your granny afghans to be attached as you go? No
    Do you prefer solid looking or lacy looking granny squares? I like either – depends on the look/pattern 🙂
    What types of granny afghans do you tend to avoid? If I like it, I’ll attempt it… I avoid anything I think doesn’t look good – so it’s based off my opinion 🙂 I’m not afraid of a challenge… when I’ve nothing else going on, I LOVE a challenge. When I have a lot going on, I want something mindless and easy. Not sure that info helps you. Thanks for considering us!! ❤ ~Taura (Bastet's Prayer)

7. Mary Ellen says:

sew as you go is a great option thanks for asking

8. I prefer joining them after. 🙂 Either whip stitched together, or with a zig-zag join for a lacy effect.

9. DOLORES AYCOCK says:

I prefer option #1.

10. Jennifer LaRonge says:

I really have to have to get back into Granny Squares, haven’t done them in years. I made so many Granny Square afghans years ago, I just mentally could not do anymore. But I am really liking the patterns I am seeing of late.

11. I prefer to attach them at the end, but am OK with a lacier join (like The Crochet Dude’s Dudessembly and I like a mixture of lacy and solid looking squares. I have, thusfar, avoided join-as-you-go

12. Helen says:

I’m solidly in the tight corner. Function over style – particularly when doing a blanket for Project Linus. Gaps can be a real problem for a youngster in the hospital. Tends to snag the equipment.

13. Laura says:

I like option #1. I really struggled to do a join as you go and gave up on it. There are so many beautiful squares I guess it lacy vs tight would determine what the blanket was going to be used for – show or function.

14. ginny short says:

I love to sew them together at end.I enjoy making granny square as one can do do much with them. Besides granny squares there is all different shapes. And one can use almost any kind of thread and needle size. There not only Afghans to make but SO MUCH more. I think if you attach as you go it is more for clothes than Afghans. I working on a granny square skirt. I using Caron.it a lighter weight then worsted.

15. I have yet to make a full granny square afghan I have about 15 granny squares made just sitting there teasing me till i can get more of the yarn that I want for the afghan… I like loose here in texas we do not have the need for a a tight warmer afghan

16. Luci says:

1. I prefer tightly joined squares. 2. I LOVE “join as you go” because I am still trying to figure out how to tie off/knot off the end of the yarn when you sew the squares together. 3. I prefer more solid looking squares. 4. I have pretty much avoided all granny square patterns, except the one that I have that is a “join as you go” and the never-ending granny square (Thank you for that one, Mikey!!). I hope you will be sharing your new idea soon, because I have been asked to make a granny square afghan for a co-worker to give someone as a gift and I was going to use my join-as-you-go pattern that uses a joining stitch with the “chain 1” space, and I agree that I would prefer something that would be attached closer together.

17. DT says:

– I prefer that the pieces be put together tightly, but I als prefer a ‘filler’ type of attachment method. The tight square-to-square, for me, is kind of boring.

Do you prefer your granny afghans to be attached as you go?
    – Attach as you go, but more tightly. One of the reasons I don’t do a lot of granny projects is that I hate having to put it all together.

Do you prefer solid looking or lacy looking granny squares?
    – definitely prefer lacy looking motifs, the ‘traditional’ granny bores me after all these years of crocheting, so I also prefer more unusual patterns.

What types of granny afghans do you tend to avoid?
    – Octagons, for some reason they have zero appeal, and those with lots of little motifs (since I dislike the whole joining task).

18. sheteacher13 says:

I love the look but seldom do grannys. I don’t like fingers and toes poking thru and I seldom can make myself connect the squares once they are all done. So I don’t do piece work. I always select patterns that are one large afghan. Yes, that means some heavy flipping as I do the last few rows but I can’t remember to finish otherwise.

19. Amy says:

I love granny squares of all kinds so any is fine with me and I like to do them at the end. I always crochet them together, but I would like to see a project with them sewn together. I always get the 3D ridge… which I like. But it’s not always appropriate for the blanket or for the finished look.

20. Cathy says:

I enjoy granny squares because they are so flexible. Colour, shape, size and symmetry are all changeable. When doing the last round of my square I leave about 10″ of yarn after the last stitch so when I need to sew them together the sewing stitches won’t be as visible. This also gives me the option of sewing some together before to get a feel of the look and size of my finished afghan. Sometimes I just have a bad day and keep making mistakes so I sew some together instead, that way I am making progress and not frogging!

21. Lisa Lee says:

I want everything to be well secured and firmly attached. No flimsy stuff that I may worry about later. And I do not want to put it all together until all my squares are finished. Personally, though, I do not like doing granny squares at all and will not do them any more due to the putting it all together part. I much prefer the “mile a minute” variety of afghans.

22. Valda McGillivray says:

attached firmly preferred to sew them when all finished but recently discovered how to attach as you go so am going to give it a go

23. Pam Hoots says:

My preference is tight fitting squares joined after all squares are completed. As to a solid looking granny or a lacey granny, it depends on what I’m doing, but I tend toward lacey! I avoid the granny’s with the 70’s coloring, black, red, white, and another color. I don’t usually do granny’s because there are so many patterns that are younger, fresher looking.

24. Jennifer Betker says:

i don’t mind grannys. i’m doing one right now that is a rectangle and is done all in one giant piece. only drawback is that i don’t always get around to joining them all once i’m done them. i like making them just not much for the finicky ending and joining bit of projects;

25. Kay says:

I prefer to sew tightly at the end. It allows me the opportunity to change my mind about a particular design if I decide what I have done might not be working as well as I hoped. I always lay out my squares to finalize the design before I start sewing. I prefer solid and Not lacey squares. I avoid fussy squares. No frills, flowers, bees etc on centers, 🙂

26. Meg says:

I have no preference of solid vs. lacy grannies; I like them both. I don’t make afghans but I think if I were making something with grannies I’d wait until they were all made before I connected them. For one thing, grannies are small projects and more portable that way but also, I’d be afraid I wouldn’t connect them all the same and the piece wouldn’t be flat; waiting until the end would help with that. Plus, if they weren’t all the same – for example, if I’d used leftover yarn – I could lay them all out together and probably get a better color arrangement. Just my thoughts, though.

27. Devasha says:

1. I prefer to join my squares after they are completed. I believe they look neater and crisper that way.
    2. I believe the join-as-you-go method worked well for the lacy patterning of the Circular Motif Shawl, but I don’t usually like it for more solidly edged pieces like granny squares.
    3. I love all kinds of granny squares–solid, lacy, flat, textured–the more variety, the better. My favorite afghans are sampler afghans, where every motif is different.
    4. I tend to avoid afghans where all the squares or motifs are the same thing. I prefer afghans with changing design elements mixed in with granny squares, such as the Groovyghan, Wendy Blanket, grannies and ripples mixed together, different-sized grannies like in the Babette, things like that.

28. Karolyn says:

Tightly stitched. I usually join using sc or whip stitch

29. drmrsmusings says:

I prefer the look of tightly put together granny squares, but hate joining them all in the end. My first granny afghan was join-as-you-go and it came out nice enough that I’d rather use that method.

30. Christine Ringer says:

I love all kinds of Grannies! I love squares and hexagons…I love join-as-you-go and crochet together at the end…either solidly or a lacy join. What I don’t like at all is sewing them together 🙂

31. Teresa Fawcett says:

i like them tighter together ( i hate when fingers or toes get caught in the gaps 🙂 although, i also like the join as you go aspect and not have to weave in a million ends afterwards. this is probably why i’ve only ever made one granny afghan (it was a granny hexagon but the same idea), and i haven’t wanted to make anymore since then.
    if i saw a pattern i liked, i might try again though

32. Kim says:

I like to sew them all together at the end.

33. I HATE granny squares! Saying that I just finished a mile a minute which is really a type of granny square…I found a territorial for joining using the last color and joining as I went…I liked that…so I am looking forward to see what you do to see if it changes my mind.

34. Valerie says:

I prefer granny squares to be securely joined, not leaving gaping openings. I also prefer join as you go where you finish the last round of a motif as you are joining. I would rather make solids squares. I dont like making grannies with lots of color changes within in each square, unless it color transitioning yarn. All those ends to weave in. Dont like making afghan with grannies that are smaller than 6 inches. Takes to long to make and assemble.

• joyce says:

I prefer to attach my squares at the end. I really struggled trying to attach as I went with the shawl. I like to have a tight seam as I have dogs and cats that like to snuggle and if they are loose they tend to get pulled. Also, most granny squares have multiple color combinations even if the squares are solid and I like to lay out my squares to make sure I have the best possible design or color combination. Nothing like looking at your afghan after it’s completed and seeing something you wish you could change. I just want to thank you Mikey for all your help. You are truly a designer that cares about our opinions and also helping to grow our love for this craft with your inspirations. You are the best!

35. I prefer to attach the granny square as I go. If it is too loose …. I attach them with extra stitch. This way it save me time and the project I am working on is finished and ready for a border if I need to crochet a border. I also prefer my granny square lacy. The type of granny square I avoid is the one with too many colors.

36. Judy Rodgers says:

Tight

37. Jude says:

to me a blanket with a hole lets in the cold. a wrap with open spaces is lace. I don’t like small motifs that connect all at the end but large ones go fast. small as you go keep me from making mistakes.

38. Sharon says:

I prefer to join at the end tightly, but i like the lacy and solid squares.

39. Sue says:

I have never done a join as you go, looks complicated to me. I like the way they fit together when you do them at the end.

40. Yvette says:

Being an an extremely new crocheter I have only complete one granny blanket. A blanket I started knitting every year for 14 years previous to this year until I decided to google granny square, found you and finally finished the darned thing. I like the join at the end method so I can change the design of the piece 87 times before finalising my choice. As to how I join the motif’s together I have no preference but I did find join as you go easier and less time consuming that sewing. (all my square just got an extra round after the fact to I COULD join as I went)

The shawl challenge I liked the join as you go method because all the pieces were the same colour so, there was no need for umming and arring over where each one would go.

I like all granny’s but my favourites are the ones that have a little something extra involved even if it’s just a circle to start over the regular cluster stitches.

So TL;DR Join as you go for identical motifs (colour wise) Join at the end in whatever manner the pattern calls for in multi coloured or multi patterned motif designs.

41. Lynne Hamilton Van Zanden says:

I haven’t done granny squares yet. For an afghan I would pick a lacier join. For a bag I would probably sew the squares together for strength. I like the look of filler crochet in between the blocks. but they should have a number of connection points to be sturdy.

This is pretty
    and so is this

I like the idea of crochet as you go, however it would mean carrying around a whole afghan when I stitch on the go. However, knowing my personality, leaving the joining to the end would mean an entire afghan that was done but not assembled.

I like the idea of a scrapghan as a way to use up all the leftover yarn. I would probably do all the joining in one colour to give continuity.

42. Sarah Weber says:

I prefer lacy looking granny squares and I love attach them as I go 🙂 I made several shawls this way and they came out beautifully

43. Sharon says:

tighter granny…. too many holes won’t keep you warm. Have always sewn together at the end just because I have made so many with multiple colored squares and I can lay them out to see where I want to place them.

44. jeri says:

I love love the granny square it is my fav.eny style of granny

45. I prefer solid granny squares with a sturdy join at the end of the project. I prefer to lay out all the pieces before I join them, to make sure I like how everything is going to go together.
    I avoid the lacy squares and the lacy joins.