Mikey’s Technique Change, Video Demonstration

Yarn Council Standards for Crochet.

Mikey changes direction in the way the hook is wrapped to comply to the standards of crochet.

As announced, July 2013 brings in a new change for the way I crochet. I will be reversing direction on a portion of my stitches to meet the standard of crochet.

Share with me in a comment what you think of it. Do you crochet completely different? Share with me any tips you may have.

Video Demonstration

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Mikey’s Technique Change, Video Demonstration

1. Sally says:

Just like there is more than one way to wrap the yarn around the hook, there is also more than one way to hold the hook. I hold mine like a pencil – that’s how I was taught. I say do whatever you want to do – it’s a means to an end and as long as the end always looks gorgeous, who cares how you get there! Love watching your videos. I can read patterns, but I’m a visual learner; I think I pick it up quicker watching you. Started doing a corner-to-corner blanket for my mom who is in a rehab facility. My inspiration was your corner-to-corner scarf video. Thanks!

2. Lynn Pelfrey says:

hey Mikey my name is Lynn and I’m a big fan of crochet and I’ve been watching you on youtube and following a long with you and learning all kinds of new things and I’ve never notice the way you hold your hook when you y/o. I’ve been reading your blogs to and I’m really enjoy learning new things when I read about crochet and kinting. Haha yes I kint some to. but any ways. you shouldn’t worry about how you hold your hook and y/o with it. The way you hold your hooks or needles in in crochet and kinting is what make you a one of kind person. We all don’t hold and y/o the same way. In others word y/o the you want to and don’t worry about what other people think.

3. Honestly it shouldn’t matter how you crochet your piece when you yarn over because the end result is the same. My question to you is, is someone else pressuring you to change? Because I have watched your videos and never really noticed. Not because I am not observant, the way you y/o doesn’t really matter. I hold my crochet hook like you would chopsticks almost. It’s comfortable. Do what is comfortable to you. Plus if it is going to cause injuries, you should STOP!

4. sandy says:

Dear Mikey – why are you changing the way you crochet? You are a unique person and have done it that way since you were a boy – why go against your nature? I adore the Crochet Crowd and thank you for all your hard work, inspiration and humanity!!

5. Mlissabeth says:

My two cents: I am left handed and wrap my yarn with my right hand. I think I have done it this way since I learned over 40 years ago. Your change to your videos doesn’t change the way I look at your videos, as I have to convert the way I see my hands/hook anyway!

6. Michelle says:

Hi Mikey, I personally liked your “old” way lol… Simply because it’s the same as I’ve been crocheting this way for the last 44 years! LOL.. I have never thought I had did it any other way than what everyone else did. It’s just me. But good for you that you can change. I too am an old dog, and I’ve been trying to change th way I hold my yarn and always end up holding it my old way… Guess this old dog isn’t teachable int aht respect. 😀

7. Denise Baillie says:

I crochet so completely different (I’m self-taught) that many people tell me I’m doing it wrong! I hold the hook like a pencil and I more-or-less use my left hand to wrap the yarn around the hook! I don’t think anybody else even comes close to crocheting like me!

8. swissmsmo says:

Try teaching twenty-six 11-13 year olds how to crochet all at once! No matter how clearly I demonstrate a crochet technique in my classes or whatever memory hook I try to teach them, I have found that there is no one “Right” way to hold the yarn, hold the hook or wrap the yarn that works for everyone. However, I cringe when I see crocheters who “wrap” the yarn around the hook with their left hands instead of “yarning over.” I think the way I crochet is all about body mechanics and efficiency of motion. Yet just yesterday, I found at least 3 different ways to handle the beginning corner in a Granny Square! Even with your own little idiosyncratic way of wrapping, Mikey, you still have one of the clearest, most professionally produced crochet channels out there. Plus, I absolutely love your sense of humor and your giggle. Keep up the good work!

• Karen N says:

lol I thought I was the only cringer with the left hand wraps. I have notice its the knitters who do this when they are learning to crochet. but as I said earlier its what is right for you and comfortable.!!

9. Stephanie says:

Crochet the way your Mom taught you, we can do it that way too or the other, if you have done this for years, why change….I’ve watched you for a long time and realized it was different and it didn’t bother me at all

10. isla says:

LOL…I am pretty much self-taught aside from what I learn on videos, and I always thought I was doing it wrong!!! Haha!

11. Loraine Nataino says:

I noticed the first time that I watched one of your videos that you wrapped your yarn over differently…I won’t say ‘wrong’, because like so many others have said, the final result is what counts…and I actually think your original method looked smoother, and the flow of the ‘figure 8’ motion you were making looked more ‘energy efficient’…congrats on being able to change your style…and I love the look of the piece you are working on…

12. Pat says:

I crochet using the new ‘right way’, And have for 50 + years. So What? I can’t see why one way is better than the other. Also I would like to show some of my work on your site, how do I do that?

13. Cheryl goodsell says:

This so funny, when I first watched your videos, I tried to do the dbl crochet your “old” way and couldn’t feel comfortable with the change, so I went back to my “old” way that turned to be the standard. I have learned so many new tricks watching your videos, my favorites are the slip knot and putting together granny squares. I’ve been crocheting for over 50 years and still love learning new tricks. Thanks for all you efforts.

14. Lala Chappell says:

That is so funny, because I really paid attention to how I crochet and I do it the same as your OLD technique MOST of the time. Does that make sense? Depending on the stitch, I mix both techniques. I am self-taught and am still pretty much an experienced novice! Thanks Mikey for so humbly showing us you are human, not perfect, and so big-hearted!

15. John says:

On the very first video I saw of you working, Michael, I saw that you did the first yarn over of the stitch as a yarn under. I couldn’t see then that this was a problem, and I don’t see it as a problem now. This is the way you crochet. There’s nothing ‘wrong’ about it. Why should you feel the need to change?

16. Jennifer R. says:

That means I’ve been doing it right all along. YAY! After watching the video’s you made and seeing how you did it I thought I was all wrong. I tried to do it your way but it just seemed too awkward and I didn’t like the way the stitch looked. So, I just decided to be wrong but I wasn’t wrong. 😀

17. mommyto3bugs says:

I’m so used to you crocheting the “old” way, it looks funny to see you do it the supposed “right” way! 🙂 I still think you should do what you feel comfortable with, but I understand you wanting to make it standard for the industry. I did kind of like that you did it differently and it didn’t confuse me. It reinforced to me that there wasn’t any one way to do it and that it was okay that my method was different from other people’s as well. I accomplished what I wanted and that was what was important to me. I wish you the best in your new endeavor and take care of your wrists if they are still cracking with this new method! Don’t want to injure yourself! Thank you for all you do- you are so generous of your time and talent!!

18. Don says:

Good Job. That is the way I wrap, I think what ever you feel more comfortable with. Like I hold the crochet hook like a pencil, you hold it fist like. I tried that way, but didn’t like it, slowed me down. As long as you get the same look!!!! I also wrap the feeding yarn different than you do too, but it all works out. 🙂

19. Stephanie Smith says:

Yay, thank you. First time I ever saw one of your videos I was like, huh? What’s Mikey doing with his hook! Now the process of a stitch looks normal. Thanks.

20. Karen N says:

I think a Y/O is as individual as the individual crochet’er . I do it differently than my grandmother did and different from my mother. its what is comfortable for the stitcher, yes maybe use standard for training. But I hope you are able to do what is comfortable for yourself. Ps. I love your Rio Scarf pattern. I have many requests for it. I have combined it with a cloche pattern from Bonita’s patterns to make a set.

21. Frankie Zacharias says:

how do you change the way you crochet? I just started crocheting last summer and have tried several different techniques but I always end up going back to the way I was shown first, every other way seemed awkward and uncomfortable

22. Like you said it only takes a few days and it becomes second nature to do it either way. Great job.