It’s Not A Yarn Tote…

Plastic Bin for Storage

It’s Not A Yarn Tote… Photo Courtesy of Walmart.com

True story hours ago. I was at the local Walmart. I have been talking lately on The Crowd about how our one cat isn’t using her box. Needless to say, it’s a mess horrendous. We are smart, we had to come up with a solution and find out why!

I am the queen of video and set up my camera aiming on the box to see what is going on. We have a standard size cat box. Dimitri is now 15 years ago. She’s one big pussy cat. She’s like a giant trying to get into Herbie the Love Bug! She’s crouched up but is way too big for the box.

The camera revealed our Dimitri is jamming herself into the box but her ass his hanging out of the side. She tries to bury it but cannot find it. That’s because it’s not in the box. Let’s face it, if slow moving bowel movements are missing, projectile diarrhea has no hope to stay in the box. Gross I know… just telling it the way it is!

So I called around looking for a large kitty box but it seems it’s either really special order or not available. So what are we to do? Are we to leave the cat and let her wreck the house or come up with a new solution. Euthanasia isn’t an option as it’s not her fault and she still is cuddly and etc.

We came up with the idea of finding a wide load and extra long storage box. There’s no way the cat can miss now!

Occasionally, people recognized me as Mikey at Walmart. A fan stops me. Mikey, you must have a lot of yarn to store. I looked at her strangely and asked her what she is talking about? The yarn tote as she points to my bin. OMG, I laughed and I said honey, this isn’t a yarn tote! This is the cat’s new litter box.

It never occurred me that when people see me with totes they assume I am hoarding more yarn. haha. I thought this was a raw moment and wanted to share that with you!

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, General Life With Mikey & Diva Dan and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to It’s Not A Yarn Tote…

1. Alicia says:

my cat uses http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch. Since she is literally inside the litter box, she can’t miss. 🙂

2. Nancy says:

I changed from a cat box to a tote as they are much cheaper than “Litter Boxes”. Works great.

3. Sharon K says:

We’ve been using large plastic container as litter boxes for years. We have 4 cats and 1 large box, no problems. 🙂 As long as the dogs can’t get to it. 0.o

4. Heather-Dawn Filipiak says:

We have three big boy cats. We have three litter boxes. But one is one of those big rectangular pans they sell to mix concrete in. I don’t know what they are called. It is perfectly sized. Another litter pan is a regulation one like they sell any where. The other is a dish pan type plastic pan that my husband put there (???). But all three get used at times and the largest one gets used the most and is the right size.

5. Tina Lawson says:

Thanks for the great idea. I have the same problem. He’s a 15 year old baby named Nitro. Big and fat.

6. Now I have one large covered plastic storage tote. (You can catch them on sale for around $5-6). I cut an opening in one the short sides about 4 inches from the floor.(The size of a small cat door.) It works wonderfully. You just lift of the top to clean and you have a large covered litterbox! No mess and he can’t flick the litter out!

7. That’s funny! We had 4 cats at one time (3 have since passed away, old age). We bought 2 concrete mixing bins from Home Depot. They worked great! .They were heavy, large and cheap The sides were about 8 inches high so there was no flicking it out of the box when covering-up! Looked like 2 sand boxes in the basement! LOL!

8. hehehehe – We have two “yarn totes” down in the basement for our larger kitties and three “normal” sized litter boxes scattered throughout the house (one on the second floor, one in the far downstairs bathroom and one in the garage – we use the garage like an extra room when it’s not too hot and not too cold, so the litter box in there is rarely used) We found the same thing… the cats were simply too large for the “normal” size boxes… I think those “normal size” boxes only really work for kittens and very petite cats. I happen to have a few petite cats… and a few normal (large) size cats.

They’re all MUCH happier with the new “litter box” 🙂
    ~Taura from North Eastern Michigan

9. Connie Baker says:

My “kitty” is 18+ pounds, and although he has a large litter box, he still manages to “hang over the side” sometimes. I am somewhat disabled and do not use the big round tub that came with my new mobile home. (just the shower). So I put his large litter box in the middle of the bathtub. Works great. Litter does not get kicked around outside the bathtub and the “misses” are easier to clean up. I love your “yarn tote” idea. I may try that when it comes time to purchase a new litter box. (Still laughing)

10. Cathy says:

Being a large girl is one thing, but she’s also an older girl. She will benefit from a larger litter box not only due to her size, but a “lower” box is easier on her hips. She doesn’t have to lift her legs as high to step in the box.

11. Margaret Bernardi says:

Sounds like a good solution. I have three cats. Two are quite large and often miss the box. I have a boot tray under the box to catch whatever misses. I even have an extra under the bed tote so may give this a try.

12. Loretta says:

That’s a great idea, getting that storage container. It is very large. I think, what you have bought at wal-mart will do the job.

13. dawne says:

i had the problem w/my cats flinging litter up & over the box when they ‘ bury’. so i put their box in a huge plastic tote & cut out a door on one end. now, every so often, i take the little box out of the tote & pour the flung litter out of it. my largest cat (20 lbs) has now started standing up to go potty just like a big boy!! (i am using the lid upside down w/ a throw rug on it to catch the toe sand that the kitty mat does not.) works good.

14. We had the same problem and did the same thing. We cut a hole in the side of it, put the litter in and put the lid back on it. Works perfectly.

15. Beate says:

hihihi, good for you! Our cat named ” Mouse” wanted to move out the worst way, since we already had an outside cat and she was longingly watched that cat (Zippy) play. Mouse decided to start peeing everywhere. I told my husband it is because she wants to be an outside cat (we have trouble with our cats be run over by cars, so we try to keep them inside). Zippy never strays far from the front door, but never wants to come in, not even in the winter. My husband was not going to let Mouse outside- period, regardless how annoyed I got at Mouse for peeing place, she knew better not to. Until one day, he was ironing his shirt he just HAD to wear that day on the ironing board and it started to stink. The more he ironed the worse it stunk. Mouse had peed on the ironing board and the nice hot steam activated the smell. Needless to say: Mouse got her wish to go outside and she LOVES it. Now and than she comes in, but she prefers to stay out and is smart enough not to get run over.

16. Pam Hoots says:

Good thinking! We have a litter box in the living room, so I prefer to have a top on it. One of my cats is a good 16 lbs, so, yea, he’s a tight. My boyfriend doesn’t think we need a new litter box and I’m not working at the moment… So I just deal with it. He cleans the litter boxes anyway so it would be his problem! hehe

17. Martha says:

OMG!! That’s so funny to read! I’m deathly allergic to animals and seeing funny videos or hearing stories is my only way to enjoy animals. Love animals with character

18. Robin says:

OMG! So funny!

19. Rachel says:

We had a similar problem, when we got our youngest cat she just refused to use any box with any amount of litter in it. While we were keeping her in the bathroom so the other two cats would get used to her smell she kept using the tub. She would only use the box if it was inside the tub. So I came up with a theory that it was a privacy thing. So we went and got some of those HUGE plastic bins from Walmart (tall and wide with lids), cut holes in the lids and all three cats love it. Total privacy and lots of room, plus it keeps all the litter inside the box.

20. Lu Ann says:

That’s great! And I hope your kitty’s new box works out for both your sakes!

21. MsKat says:

I just died laughing reading that…imagining the gigantic elderly kitty trying to diligently fit in the little litterbox. You came up with a great idea and it has wheels to boot! I was lucky, my massive kitty was kind of short and round like a footstool so she fit inside the box-I got a Rubbermaid litterbox with high sides and a low entrance and she did well. I have also seen people take the large tall storage totes and cut an entrance-some use the lid, most don’t. Keeps them from showering everything around them with litter all the time.

22. Nancy says:

One of my cats, now deceased, started having problems with the litter box. We got the Booda, but he managed to pee between the sections and it would run down the ramp, or he wouldn’t go all the way in and the poops would also be left on the ramp. What really worked was a top-entry box (link below). As well, one box for each cat helped too. I’ve heard the rule of thumb of one per cat plus one extra…
    Hope the tote works for your big guy!

23. Kathryn O'Dell says:

I bought mine a booda hooded one that has a ramp going into it and have not had a problem. They love the privacy and I don’t have a mess. Also, use FELINE FRESH cat litter which is a natural product (pine) and is totally flushable!! I have not had odour problems in the years since I have been using it.

24. Gina says:

I did the same thing as well, for a multiple cat situation (with 1 of the cats being too large for regular boxes). Works a lot better!

Besides, that tote is WAY TOO SMALL FOR YARN!!!

25. sandra says:

We had several large cats. We used the largest disposable foil rectangular roasting pan for their litter box. Ya gotta do, what ya gotta do!

26. Very cool idea! I may try that for my cats. I have seven (yes, 7!) cats and the boxes get full so quickly, it’s crazy trying to keep up with it. And when the boxes aren’t clean, they go elsewhere. So maybe I’ll go get me a big “yarn tote” for my kitties! 🙂

27. Emily Rodolff says:

I once had a large male cat that had thte same problem! I eventually used a small baby pool as his litter box in the basement. Worked like a charm!

28. tanyaparks70 says:

Love your story I had a cat and had to buy the biggest cat litter box they had was worried if we would ever find one and we did!!

29. Mikey I have 2 cats both are 11 yrs old…..my male cat weighs in at around 33lbs and the female at 14lbs I have used a 48 gallon tote for 10 yrs now, so that the fat cat had room, I change the tote its self out every 6 months or so as the plastic doesn’t handle cat urine well and starts to crack…the fun part is all the colors you can chose from…lol P.S. we go thru 28lb box of arm and hammer cat litter ever 2 weeks between scooping and adding…

• Janice says:

if you line the bottom with a plastic bag and change it every once in a while then you might not go through so many containers……just a suggestion.

30. Janice says:

My mom had a dog that was first my brother’s dog….but after my brother passed away my mom inherited her(Topanga). She was litter trained because my brother was in a wheelchair and he couldn’t always get to the door in time to let her out when she was a puppy. Standard kitty litter boxes were too small once she got older….she was a miniature poodle. Plus she was knocking so much litter out of the container. My mom ended up using a Rubbermaid container that was about 8-10 inches high….and as she got older and couldn’t jump into it as easily my mom cut a notch in the side of the container.

31. Can’t wait to hear how it works out! I may have to steal the idea…Miss Xena is 15 and liking to get into her box less and less!

32. Laraine says:

Can’t stop laughing Mikey!

33. lori johnson says:

What a Great idea!!! Having had many cats live well past 20yrs you are doing what any animal love would do and put their comfort first (no mess aside) 🙂

34. Karen says:

I cut a hole in the end of a 10 gallon tote box with a lid (big enough for my cats to fit through) now both my cats use it no more mess and cut down on smell also and they both seem to like the privacy being it is enclosed.

35. hyperjma says:

We’ve done it too. It works perfectly!

36. Karolin says:

OMG!!! Too funny on being called out!! But *blush* to the person doing the calling!!! What a great idea!!!

When we lived in an apartment and got our first dog we realized right quick that we weren’t going to be running up and down 3 flights every time she had to go!!! So we bought the exact same tote you did, and plopped a role of sod in it!!! When we moved out it was a little gross trying to get it into the dumpster, (imagine 6 months of dog urine collecting in the grass and dirt) but we managed!! Lol. Bonus, if you don’t feel like cleaning the litter one day, flip the lid over and let your cat use the other side!! 🙂

37. Jess C. says:

We did the same thing with our cat once. I find it perfectly acceptable and ingenious!

38. Suz says:

we did the same thing kinda…we have 3 cats and had 2 normal size litter boxes side by side ..they would still miss sometimes so we got a big under the bed type like what you got and don’t normally have problems but every now and then we still catch one of the girl cat’s pooing next to the garbage in the kitchen…not sure how to stop that though :/

• Janice says:

I read on the internet that cats don’t like the smell of Vick’s vapo rub…..put a little in the area where she poops in the kitchen and see if she stops going there.