Mikey Changes Direction in Crochet

If you have ever watched my crochet online and really watched my hook, you may have noticed I wrap my hook in two different directions for anything beyond the single crochet.

In the video below, if you skip forward to the 40 second – 50 second mark. After I wrap my yarn and go into the stitch, I move my hook over the yarn leading to my hand to grab. In my stitch, it is the only time I do that. When I go to finish the rest of the stitch, I grab the yarn from the under side. The underside is the correct method comparing to the standard of crochet.

A few viewers in the past 5 years noticed this and questioned me on it saying it doesn’t match the teachings of other YouTube Hosts and pattern book instructions. I have always passed this off to being a personal technique because that’s the way my mother showed me. Having crocheted for 20 years prior to YouTube, I never realized I had been doing it uniquely. Everyone holds their yarn, hooks and methods that are unique to them. For me, I would say the same thing.

Going forward as of July 2013, you will be noticing I am going to be wrapping in the correct direction. The only part of my stitch grabbing that is wrong is the initial pull through when doing anything above a single crochet. I am supposed to be scooping from the underside at all times. Never going over my yarn like I have been for my lifetime.

I’ve been working on the new technique for a couple days. If I am paying attention I am doing fine. However, if I am not paying attention and letting my hands do the natural work, my method keeps reverting backward to my initial method. I am an old dog, but I think I can get this new trick for me. It feels unnatural. Interestingly enough and I really don’t know why, I can hear my wrist cracking when I just reverse the rotation on just one little aspect of the crochet stitch. That seems odd.

I am a bit worried though, in all videos going forward I will be changing my method and I hope I don’t start reverting back to my old ways without realizing it during filming. On the board and out of sight of the camera will be my notes to remind me to ensure I am paying attention to that. I’m not sure how long it is going to take me to naturally crochet in the correct method, but I am determined.

Look for this change coming up in future tutorials.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, Announcements and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Mikey Changes Direction in Crochet

1. Amy says:

Mikey, Crochet is an art form. Period. Somebody telling you that you were doing it wrong is just as bad as the grade school teacher telling a student that she must “stay within the lines” on a coloring project. You do what feels right and natural for you. Your work is beautiful just like you.

2. Jan says:

Its is the love of your craft that we see, not the “unique” way of stitching or holding your hook and yarn!! Do it YOUR way, and give kudos to your Mom for teaching at all!! Keep that yarn a’hooking!

3. Anne crofts says:

To me, the finish is more important then how you get there… as long as the journey is enjoyable…lol i have a lefty in my family and had to let him figure things out for himself… i thought you had a unique way of crocheting… and just never gave it a thought… i love what you teach me and i do it uniquely my way too…lol

4. It doesn’t bother me at all. Everyone have their way to crochet.

5. Valerie says:

Just do what comes naturally – why should you change ?? This I dont understand and who says what is right and what is wrong !!!!

6. Maria Witten says:

Why change what works, you do a beautiful job crocheting. I am fairly new to crochet and how you do it did not distract from my learning.

7. Ok first of I had noticed and second of , why do you have to change, like you said everyone does it different I think it’s the same as how a lot of people hold their hooks differently, as long as the end product looks good, why worry?

8. Kelly says:

It’s just like knitting – there i more than on way to knit, but the results are the same. I say do what’s comfortable. Otherwise you won’t enjoy it!

9. Mikey sweetie dont change your out come is the same we all hold our hooks differently and wrap our yarn different sometimes from other people.

10. your work is always beautiful…….I would say don’t change a wonderful process that obviously works for you.

11. Mary Ellen says:

No need to change for me either. I have been crocheting for 45 years was taught by my younger sister who is left handed. I have my own way of making the stitches but can follow a pattern and complete projects my stitches my look a bit different from those who do it the “correct way” but they ar mine just as your way is yours Dont change

12. Diane Mason says:

I paid for a month of crochet classes last year. The lady constantly chided the class of 4 ladies & 1 man…for all of us holding our hooks or pulling the yarn “the wrong way”! One lady even quit the class! Everyone does it differently. As long as the finished product comes out as the pattern is intended, I say Leave the process alone! Mikey, you are a Wonderful teacher! And I have progressed from your videos & others online. So I say, Stay with the way you were taught! And don’t worry about “the correct way”! Thanks for all you do!

13. Marcy Kanapaux says:

I do not think you need to change. It’s how you crochet. Like you said everyone does it different.

14. Pingback: Mikey’s Technique Change, Video Demonstration | The Crochet Crowd Blog

15. bathehappy says:

LOL I crochet totally different than anyone else. I don’t think you should need to change your stitch to make a handful of people happy. I think you do just fine as-is.

16. Pingback: The Crocodile Stitch with Video Tutorial & Free Scarf Pattern | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

17. Everyone has their own little ‘quirks’ and if it works, than it works! I’m left handed! Talk about looking a bit different! I also don’t raise the index finger that holds the working yarn nor do I wrap the yarn around my finger…it’s all what works for you!

18. Sharon K says:

well, if the way your are doing it now, it looks like I’m holding the hook wrong. I hold them like I hold a pen. I’ll have to go check if I’m wrapping in the right direction. :}
    You learn something new every day!
    Thanks Mikey,
    Sharon K

• Sharon K says:

Wow, I just read my first line and it makes no sense.
      I meant, if the way you are doing it now is right, then it look like I’m holding the hook wrong.
      I plead a senior moment!!! 🙂

19. Marcia says:

I don’t understand what the big deal is…..I’ve been trying both ways and the stitches look the same , so I say do whatever feels comfortable to you…..maybe just make a comment in your recordings about how your grab the yarn differently! I don’t think you should change what you’ve been doing for years.

20. Doris says:

I understand your point. Either way is okay with me.

21. Carol Pina says:

I see no problem with it. The stitch is still the same, either way love Carol

22. Pingback: Mikey’s Technique Change, Video Demonstration | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

23. tracy30240 says:

I’m confused as why it matters. I see what you are talking about. but do not understand how it affects the outcome. I hold my hook, yarn and project differently than anyone I’ve ever seen, but come out with virtually the same results. I am self taught from books. Love you Mikey and any little quirks that make you who you are

24. sandra says:

So what if you hold your hook and grab your yarn different from what I was taught. I can still learn new stitches and patterns. I hold my hook like a pencil but hold my yarn different than anybody else I’ve watched. What matters is the finished project! I wouldn’t change if I were you, especially with your wrist cracking. Keep hooking the way it feels natural to you. Thank you so much for the tutorials on YouTube – I’ve always had trouble reading patterns. Now I can do anything Thanks to You! 🙂

25. embertouchtehfire says:

You do know it doesnt matter which way you hook. The way you are doing it is not wrong alot of the ladys I crochet with do it the same way. One of them is 89 and she learned it from her grandma, so people have been doing it that way for 100 or more years and the world has not ended.

Crochet in the way that makes you comfortable. It doesnt change how the finished project looks!

26. Barbara says:

MIkey, I don’t understand why you feel the need to change. People hold their hooks differently and grab the yarn differently. If you are not comfortable doing it, how can it be enjoyable? Maybe you should do a video on the different ways to hold a hook or catch the yarn and then let people decide what works best for them. Then you can keep doing what you are so good at doing.

Barbara