What Trends Lay Ahead for Christmas 2013?

Questions about Crochet Trends

The Crochet Crowd

Each year, we tend to see a project, stitch technique or idea that is “Hawt Off The Hook!”

I’m really not sure what types of projects will be really popular for Christmas 2013. Red Heart launched Vivid, a new neon ultra thick product line a few months ago. I suspect that will be coming up in the trends in the fall. See what the Editor of Crochet Today Magazine thought about this new yarn. See her live video.

For me, I’m still on a very heavy kick of slow transitioning yarns from colour changing to even texture, yarn and material changes within a ball of yarn. I’m not scared of yarn that changes thickness or into really weird colour shades that end up kicking the project into high overload of uniqueness. These types of yarns aren’t the cheapest on the market but they are rich in flavour and is something I would prefer to give as a gift if I am making someone an afghan.

So as of right now, I am still on the fence to what I think Christmas 2013 is going to be trend wise. Normally, I usually find a pattern in the summer that I absolutely love and can’t wait to sink my hook into. For now, the search continues for my favourite projects for Fall and Christmas 2013.

So here are my questions for you:

1. Do you have any ideas what you think may be hot for Christmas 2013?
  2. Maybe you can think of a project or idea that should be hot?
  3. Have you started your holiday crochet making already? If so, what has been your inspiration.

Leave me your comments  below and share with us what you think. After all, you may just inspire a trend that experts haven’t even considered.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to What Trends Lay Ahead for Christmas 2013?

1. Patty Wolfinger says:

I’m hoping to make some beaded snowflakes! :0)

2. jujube1960 says:

I need ideas for couples….Last year I made wine bottle covers. and the year before, placemats. So I need a new idea for this year. I made all my nephews Angry Bird Beanies and for my nieces, Hello Kitty purses

• Kylie says:

fingerless gloves for the children…could use a fluffy fabric to create different animals. For example brown fluffy for bear gloves, green silky for frog gloves etc

3. jujube1960 says:

Last year for couples, I made covers for wine bottle. So they got the cover and a bottle of wine. And the year before, I made all the couples placemats…So I need a new idea for couple for this year.

4. Pingback: A Crochet Magazine I Love | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

5. Kylie says:

Just finished an original lace for my 2 yr old daughter for her when she is older. I designed and made it using cotton and .5mm hook.
    I am also teaching myself tunisian crochet, so at least 2 will be receiving something in tunisian.

6. Jamie says:

Hi Mikey & everyone.
    1) Nope, clueless.
    2) Yeppers! Wrist warmers/fingerless gloves.
    3) Already started! It is July. I picked an infinity scarf at a Christmas dinner/gift exchange. The kind where everyone picks a new package…..or steals someones. I asked if she would share the pattern. She did…on YouTube. And I found you! So I am doing scarves & fingerless gloves.
    Happy hookin!

• Vicki T says:

I love wrist warmers. The ones I have made as gifts, people don’t know what they are but after they put them on, they LOVE them!

7. Yvette says:

Since Christmas time where I am is approximately 4 million degrees on a good day, I think the only thing I will be making for Christmas will be a crochet themed Christmas tree. Baubles and tinsel (maybe from end of season sashay yarn) and even a star for the top. Oh the possibilities. 🙂

8. Katie Becher says:

I started about 2 weeks ago. working on two corner to corner blankets. one for my mom and one for my dad 🙂 Since I am new at this, I figured july was a good time to start so I am not rushing.

9. Shanon says:

I’ve been making afghans for my brother, father and my mom. If I have time I may try to make one for my sister in law. I am 3/4s finished with 2 of them.

10. Lisa says:

I need to find a good wreath pattern for our front door!

11. Alisa Taber says:

I am working on making all new Christmas decorations for my home and the Santa room that I do for my church. I am also working on making about 100-120 scarves for Santa to give to the children at church. and a few afgans to give as gifts. I feel like my crochet hook is glued to my hand.

12. Pam Hoots says:

I’m so hooked (hehe) on school that I can’t think about that kind of stuff. By Christmas time I’ll be look toward graduation and working my externship! I can’t believe the year is going by so fast!

13. There seems to have been such a surge in new, and unique skills, yarns, tools and popularity recently, say in the last five years, that maybe we have reached a little plateau, Which might be great for us “end users” to all catch up?

14. Tina Lawson says:

I have made hats, scarves, and mittens for my grandkids. But you Mikey inspired me with your wave and hexagons sfghas challenge. Do everyone is getting one for Christmas. Plus I am doing a lot of crocheting for charities with my crochet guild. I think shawls are a hot thing this year. Lots of new patterns are out. Plus all the beautiful yarn that’s come out to make them with. I’ve seen some patterns where the sashay yarn is used as trim. Very pretty.

15. I started and finished my Christmas gift way back in Febuary. I made a huge granny square afghan for ine of my sisters.

16. Paige Keith says:

Trying to figure out something I can make for my husband. He is EXTREMELY picky and so far I haven’t seen anything appropriate. Also, we live in Hawaii and so sweaters aren’t really an option. Any ideas anyone?

17. Lisa says:

Slippers! Or at least that’s what’s trending at my house : )

18. dee yarbrough says:

Hi, Mikey! I enjoy your site & stories! I have 4 sisters, 1 sis-in-law, 6 nieces, & a few friends I like to give a little something to for Christmas, so I have to really be budget minded, both financially & timewise, esp since I went back to school last year at 54. I’ve already started a few things for gifts. Have you seen the arm-knitted infinity cowls? Instead of 1 big yarn, I’m using several different colors & weights of compatible yarns to customize them for each person’s style &/or general wardrobe color patterns (or as close as I can guess, lol!) I’ll try to send you a picture or two. They come together very quickly, will be nice & warm ( very chic) this winter, & I hope they’ll be a big hit!

19. Rachel says:

I have started my holiday gifts, but I am more about things that can be used year-round than holiday themed items. The only concession to this so far is a modified blanket of different squares that I will be putting around the tree to cover the stand. : )

20. Vicki T. says:

My friends tend to be chocolate lovers so I’m making up these chocolate bar stockings. They can sit in a wintry basket at the door for folks to take upon leaving my home. I’m thinking a chocolate Christmas tree too with these stockings and Hershey’s Kisses too. Just where do I find a Kisses pattern?!

21. Lori Jerome says:

This year all our nieces and nephews are getting afghans. They range in age from 1 yrs old to 21 yrs old, and there are 8 of them. My inspiration……..The Crochet Crowd afghan challenges!! I have a few made now , just waiting on some more ideas LOL

22. Megan Cleland says:

I’m thinking of some crocheted toys, slippers and maybe a pillow or two.