Understanding Crochet & Pinterest

A fan, Wendy, writes:

How to Use Pinterest

Understanding Pinterest and How To Access free patterns.

“The only problem I ever have is not being able to find the written instruction for a pattern. I never can get the instructions to the projects posted on Pinterest, even if they say free pattern. Maybe you could give me a few pointers for that.”

Let’s drop the dance steps and admit that some companies and individuals love to be deceptive when using Social Media Outlets like Pinterest. As much as we want everyone to be honest, fact is, if you can be sneaky enough for a certain time frame there is financial gain involved… that is until you get caught when the joy ride is over!

Pinterest is fabulous and I really like Pinterest. I don’t go on Pinterest as often as I used to. I tend to find the same photos are always being re-pinned. They stay on top hogging the space to not allow newer ideas/photos to have a chance to be on top when you do a search. Drives me crazy to be honest. I am hoping they can change the search engines to be more intuitive in the future.

Now about the posts you see on the Pinterest. You can write anything to a photograph, even if it’s a lie. There’s no monitoring of the content before it goes live. This means you can say anything, even if false and you most likely won’t be detected… immediately that is. This is where the power is in the users of Pinterest to report their findings if something isn’t right.

Pinterest, like Facebook and YouTube have options to report the post if you feel deceived. If you click the photo and it say, “Free Watches”… you get there and the watch isn’t free or it’s asking you to surrender personal info or anything related that really isn’t in your best interest… that’s really spammy. You should mark the post as Spam and/or inappropriate. Why? Simply by marking it as spam you are sending a message with your click that the photograph is deceptive. It’s promising something that is intentionally misleading.

For Crochet, if it says free crochet pattern for an afghan. You follow the pin and the afghan pattern is $5.99… Classic spam tact right there. They have intentionally mislead you and hope you are so inspired that you will purchase the pattern, even though you were deceived in the first place. You see this from time to time on crochet patterns where a warning pops up saying “Spam” was detected and will not open the photograph to the link.

In turn, Pinterest’s system will acknowledge that and with enough reports of spam on one photograph, the photography will be automatically marked. If you have ever noticed if you have clicked on a photo and a warning comes up claiming Spam. This means people before you were deceived by the photograph and has been permanently marked as inappropriate. This will, in fact, stop you from opening the photograph for your own protection.

Many ‘Pins’ usually take you to the original article or an article written about the subject in the photograph. Just remember, there’s a difference of spam verses understanding the navigation system of a website you are visiting. Sometimes the free link isn’t a big red button to show you the free pattern but may be a link within a written article. Some websites don’t have the patterns on a silver platter waiting for you, sometimes you have to read or go through the webpage to find it.

It appears that creating spam is a full time job of making the internet harder to navigate and sort through. It’s purpose is to get into your purse or have you do something that isn’t in your best interest. My thing is this… if it’s too good to be true and if you have never been on the website or heard of anything related to it through previous experiences, it’s a good sign something isn’t right.

For the most part, Pinterest is fun and exciting waiting to be discovered. A few bad apples love to spoil a bunch… but I think in today’s era, we have the personal power within ourselves to not let a spamming fool ruin our experiences. Educate yourself about spam and deceptive tactics and you will be better off. I’m not perfect and sometimes I run into spam, sometimes spam is so freak’n good that you get lured in… what you do when you get to that moment is up to you.

Please note the graphic used in this blog is not generic and was created by Michael Sellick ©2013 The Crochet Crowd.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, Social Media Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Understanding Crochet & Pinterest

1. Stephanie M. says:

The concept of using pictures to bookmark websites for future reference is fabulous!!! Like everything online, some links are good, some are not-so-good. Mostly I pin pics for inspiration. AND I periodically weed my pins. As a crafty DIY-type, my interests vary. Once I realize that I’m NEVER going to try that thing that seemed so nifty a month ago, I get rid of it. 🙂

2. I do my best to put FREE crochet patterns on Pinterest. If it is not free then I made a mistake.I spend a lot of time searching the internet looking JUST FOR FREE CROCHET PATTERNS. I enjoy searching for these free patterns so if anyone would like to check out my pinterest site it is

3. Terese says:

What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It positively
    helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute &
    aid other customers like its aided me. Great job.

4. I use Pinterest quite a bit and have discovered many wonderful patterns, but, like everyone else, I’ve found those pins that are misrepresented as ‘free’ when they are not, along with people selling otherwise free patterns. I, for one, wish that if someone is pinning something they are actually selling in their etsy shop or elsewhere, that there be some notation on the pin, like a $$, to let people know it’s something for sale. People will still abuse that and lie, but I think most people actually selling their goods would be honest about it.

As for finding and tracking down patterns… if it’s a vintage pattern someone is selling, I will check several vintage pattern archives first, I’ve been successful with that quite often. Those sites that are just repin repositories, you have to have some patience, usually you can track it back to the original source. I generally won’t pin something myself unless I think it’s truly unique and have not seen before, which can be difficult with so many people pinning crochet stuff.
    I do wish that there was some setting in Pinterest that would filter out those many duplicates that show up in your ‘feed’, that would be a big plus in my opinion.

5. Susan says:

I agree with Martie 100%….I really love Pinterest, it is inspirational regardless if the pattern is free or not. Personally, most of the time, I do click on the links prior to “repinning” to make sure anyone following my board isn’t disappointed when they click onto the link. Also, I try to add a description such as “inspirational only” or “pattern for $”….or I alter the existing description, deleting the “free” description. Another hint, if it originates from Etsy, you know it is not free…this way, if you really, really, really want it, you gotta pay for it. Honestly, I’ve found many beautiful things from blogs I’d never have discovered without Pinterest. It is a wealth of information, found wonderful patterns/recipes, handy how-tos, been inspired by others, now follow some interesting blogs and “liked” many who are also on Facebook…the list goes on. I always find something new, every day! Try looking at other people’s boards as well, you’ll find amazing stuff. It all depends on what you are looking for and using some judgement. Happy Pinning 🙂

6. Martie says:

The problem I’ve found is that many times people “repin” a picture without backtracking to the original site that has the pattern. Then, when I try getting to the instructions there will be a broken link because someone along the way unpinned that item or something. I try not to repin just because it says free. I try to always backtrack to be sure I have access to the pattern or recipe or whatever.

• Lala Chappell says:

Exactly! People have such high expectations of just being handed something all of the time. I am a big Pinterest-er, but I only pin something that will produce something I want out of it. If it’s only a pic and I only want a pic, then that’s a done deal. If it’s a pattern I am after, then I click on the pic and follow the trail to the end product. If it’s not there, or did not provide it’s promise, that pin doesn’t get pinned.
      Thank you Mikey for your excellent explanation for those who just don’t “get it”.

7. Della Hanna says:

My suggestion: Don’t bother with Pinterest or any of the new fangled sites. I also found a pattern that I liked and when I went on the site, they wanted money to have the pattern. The pattern I wanted was in red heart. So, I went to Redheart.com and low and behold, the pattern was a free pattern someone was charging money for. You have to watch, they are trying to take your money to run these sites and my thing is, if I don’t get it without jumping through hoops, I don’t bother. You can go to Crochet.com and get free patterns and Knit.com also. Then they have web rings that they lead to and all have free patterns that you can copy. There are so many patterns out there, why bother buying a single one?

8. this is so true and one of the reasons why I do not go on Pinterest anymore is because of the re-pinning. You see the same thing over and over again. And, like you said, when you get to the “free” pinned, it wants you to buy something. I see it a lot on the crochet groups that I am in on Facebook. They will say something is free, sending you to a link of a website that sends you a link to a ravelry.com account and then the item is not free at all. Thanks for a very great post as usual,