Prices for Crochet Afghans: Reality Check

A viewer writes:

Afghan Prices for Crocheters

My Never Ending Granny Afghan

I am wondering how much I should charge for my crochet afghan. I am thinking $800. What do you think?

This is a very common question from viewers about the price of finished crochet projects.

Let’s face it, wouldn’t $800 be an amazing price? Back to reality, let me get a huge tac and start bursting some balloons.

The price of finished crochet items isn’t as glamorous as we would hope to imagine. Me, pretty much being a celebrity in YouTube, is offered ridiculously low amounts of prices for my finished projects. I’m talking lower than the costs of the yarn inside the project. So low, I don’t bother to sell my projects as it tends to insult me and get me mad.

Mikey's Ringtoss Crochet Afghan

Ringtoss Crochet Afghan

Without sounding too bitter, I had several people contact me offering me less than $50 for this afghan. There’s $80 worth of yarn and 18 hard long days of work. It’s insulting but also a true reflection of the value of hand creativity here in North America.

I believe that average person, including me, would never be compensated for the true hours involved when creating crochet and knitted projects. Most of us crochet and knit for the love of the craft. Many people just have family or friends buy the yarn and they will do all of the work with no worries about being compensated for time. There’s nothing wrong with that… if anything it’s an honour to be asked as it means your crochet and knitting is inspiring others to want what you can do.

A general rule I have seen is that a price of afghan is usually double the price of the yarn used. Yes… it seems unfair. I think the afghans that can get a higher price are afghans that are truly unique and hard to find. I am sure if I tried to sell my Ringtoss, I would be able to get a few hundred dollars for it. It’s amazing and it Wow’s people. Whereas, a typical granny afghan is commonly seen and because of that, may have a lower expected value.

Yarn choices are everything. In retrospect, I would have chosen a different higher end yarn for my Ringtoss. It’s not a pattern I would want to do twice and figured maybe I should have invested in a different yarn because of that fact. I don’t want to do it twice because it’s like an experience… ‘been there, done that… have the afghan to prove it!’ Next project please.

Value is in the eyes of the buyer. It depends how you market yourself, where you market yourself and your over all presentation. Some people have had really great luck in selling their finished projects, I’m not one of them myself. I don’t try like I used to. I prefer not to be insulted with offers that are less than the yarn costs. For me, I would rather donate my afghans out to charity of someone that ‘needs’ it. For me, it gives me far greater joy anyway.

Don’t let my thoughts discourage you. However, you should be aware of what you are up against so you can plan ahead and plan for yourself.

So my questions are for you:

1. What was the highest price you ever received for a crochet project?
  2. Are there any lessons you can share with tips and ideas that help make selling easier?
  3. Do you have any experiences you can share with us?

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to Prices for Crochet Afghans: Reality Check

1. Debbie Brown says:

I just recently made an infant dress that I was going to donate and a friend saw it and begged me for it, she had a baby shower to go to and wanted to give it as a gift. I ended up making a diaper cover, two hats and booties to go with it. Yarn was $3.50 on sale and being baby items didn’t even take the whole skein. She offered me fifty for it. Ended up just giving it to her, made me feel good she loved it so much. Then made my sister in law an infinity scarf for her birthday, she loved it as well and suggested I sell them, when I asked her how much she thought I had in materials only she guessed $10, materials alone were $40. It was a beautiful scarf but even selling it at $45 for a minimal profit just didn’t seem worth it to me

2. Ben says:

Instead of being insulted, have the math prepared, with the cost of materials and labor at least at federal minimum wage calculated. Then throw on a guilt trip about jobs going overseas. I suspect the insulting offers are a result of people not understanding the cost of materials and the labor that goes into a handmade item.

3. Charity says:

There is absolutely no way I would even bother to sell my items. Many times I get offers that in truth, are actually insulting to my time and resources and talents. I am not bitter but I am starting to get annoyed with it. I crochet for myself to make handmade items for my household and sometimes as gifts. But even with gifts, I am careful who I give them to. If I think they will not care for nor appreciate the item, they will not get that as a gift but instead they get something else. Time is valuable and once it is gone, it is gone. Many times I will put hundreds of hours into a big blanket and people ask me how much for it? Then they don’t even want to pay me $2 per hour let alone minimum wage. Or when people only want to pay you just $3 for 40 hours of work once you deduct the cost of materials. So, I tell people sorry! Now I do post online my creations to hopefully inspire others to pick up the craft. But to sell those items, no way, not worth my time until people here in the USA want to pay what it is worth.

4. Mimi S says:

A gal I know runs a boutique twice a year and her advice was to price items at 2 or 3 times the cost of the materials. If the pattern was intricate you would tend to lean toward the higher number. If something more simple (like a baby afghan) the 2x figure would be more appropriate.

5. Paige Keith says:

Back when my kids were babies and I wasn’t working outside the home, I usually charged 2.5 times the price of the yarn because the consignment shop had their cut too. I did pretty well with that system, but I also had several people come to me a couple months before Christmas asking me to make them several pieces they could give as gifts. In those instances, depending on the intricacy of the pattern I would charge them 1.75-2.25 x the cost of materials. They got a deal and I made money. I always tried to catch yarn on sale too so I could keep the prices reasonable and keep my products moving. Hope this helps.

6. Pingback: What Trends Lay Ahead for Christmas 2013? | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

7. Pingback: Crochet Rainbow Waves Afghan Tutorial – YouTube | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

8. MissKk says:

I tried to sell some of my market bags at a yard sale a couple of weekends ago and only ONE person bought one! I won’t come down in price as it costs me almost $5 for the yarn for one bag and all I ask is $5/bag that someone will get years of use out of. I’ll make maybe $.50 profit per bag and I like to make them but it did still take me more than an hour to make one and for someone to tell me that it’s overpriced is just ridiculous and an insult. I’ve had my original one for about a year and it’s a tough cookie, those “re-usable” bags you can buy for a dollar get holes within a few months then have to be tossed! How is that good for the environment!? lol, sorry about the eco rant 🙂 As always, Happy Hooking!

9. Diane says:

I sold a shawl once for $60. Then the same woman came back to me asking for more for ladies at church. I love to crochet but as soon as it becomes a job, it seems to take the fun out. I crochet and give them as gifts. I mostly use yarn I have around, but the crocheting keeps me out of trouble (from eating- lol) & relaxes me. If someone does approach me for something, I end up undercharging & ask that they not say what they paid for it.

10. Loelle says:

It’s all in the marketing, particularly product placement. Considering what you want to sell them for, to reflect the labour and artistry that has gone into the project, you would have to aim for the high end of the market. Picture who your ideal customer would be and try to please them when you are making decisions about what to make, the quality of the yarn to use, fashionable colourways etc.

11. Della Hanna says:

I just bought some baby yarn half price. I will be able to make things and sell them for half of what I normally would charge. If you want to you can always just charge 3x regular price of mats but, I wouldn’t feel comfortable taking in extra.

12. Della Hanna says:

I have actually had people in my family who sell at craft shows all around the country. Never sell yourself short. The pricing is as follows: no matter how many hours you have put into it you will never recoup that but, the formula is this 3 x Materials cost. I therefore look for bargains so I can sell for a bargain. example: I made an afghan I sold. Paying regular price for yarn would have made the price nearly 155 dollars. I was able to cut that down to 120 dollars by buying yarns that were on sale and making the afghan. I then discounted it further for the person who is a relative and that person paid the 120 and said to me not to sell myself short. This relative doesn’t crochet but, loves to give homemade gifts from the heart.

• Mary Ann says:

I made 4 afghans for a lady one Christmas. My formula for how much was 3 X materials also. Since they were queen and king size, I made some nice money making them.

13. inkpattie says:

I crochet baby blankets for Project Linus, but I don’t sell them. I get to pick the colors, yarns and patterns I want to use, and work at the pace I choose, then donate them to a worthy cause. That’s much more fun than getting underpaid and having to follow someone else’s design choices! I did make an ear flap hat for my daughter, and offered to make them for her friends if they just chose a color they wanted. It was fun to experiment with some different yarns, since I didn’t need more than one ball for each hat, and they were all thrilled to get a free hat. I got a great photo of all the kids in their hats, which I sent to the lady who sold me the pattern, and she added it to her Ravelry page.

If I want to make something for charity auctions, I make earrings, because I can make 12-15 pair in a night, and they give the auction something that people without a lot of money can bid on. I usually suggest starting the bid at $5.00, so even high school students can afford to participate and feel like they are involved in donating to a worthy cause. A $75 donation from me is still of value to the charity…

I found out that for tax purposes, I can only claim the cost of materials for the charity items I donate. I still need to gather up my yarn receipts for last year!

I had one doctor offer to buy a baby blanket from me that I was working on for charity. I declined, and it made me feel good to know that a poor or sick child will get a blanket for free that a rich person can’t buy!

14. Jo says:

If I CHOOSE to do so, I will make it for you for the cost of the materials or as an outright gift.. If I can’t make a living wage (# of hours it takes PLUS AT LEAST minimum wage), I’m not going to do it. My time is valuable to me.

15. Meg says:

Mikey, I agree with you, and I wonder if the problem has to do with how many people also crochet or knit – the “I could make that myself so I’m not going to pay someone for it.” Of course they probably won’t but that doesn’t stop them from not buying the item.

The most I’ve ever made for anything is $30, for a crocheted poncho several years ago. Right now everything I make is either for me or a donation (I make chemo caps and items for the homeless); I’d like to eventually start selling what I make but I haven’t yet designed anything that I think is unique enough for people to want to buy it. (Of course not being in touch with – or even interested in – what’s in style doesn’t help… 🙂 )

• Devon says:

I just found out about a website etsy.com where people sell there handcrafted wares. there are some beautiful items and you can get a very good idea what to charge for items by how popular some of the designers are.