Daniel and I have been talking a lot about patterns.
The question revolves around pattern books and magazines that have adult clothing inside. I see a lot of great designs but I am wondering how many people are actually going to grab a crochet hook and do the project?
- I am of the belief that many people enjoy looking at the photographs but the chances of doing the patterns are highly unlikely here in North America when it comes to adult clothing. I feel the percentage of people who do the patterns for adult clothing is really low.
- Daniel feels that my thoughts are based in North American principles of lack of time and value. He feels that the patterns of adult clothing is most likely to be done by a European, Chinese, and Middle Eastern individual. There are stronger in cultural values which help keep things like crochet alive and well by all ages. He says it’s possible they don’t see crochet as a craft but as a art form which changes the level of respect.
Daniel’s thoughts are based on the ideas of fashion, art and music seem to be more appreciated in Europe. When he looks at the mega shows for designing and the arts, the appreciation level as an entire society is enriched with enjoying life with work being a balance point.
My thoughts are that here in Canada and USA, we are exceptionally busy people. Some of us having two jobs to keep the roofs over our heads. We work ourselves to extreme exhaustion. Even if you are a Domestic Homemaker, the work never ends. We complete our crochet when we have time, which in many cases, isn’t a lot of time left over each day. I feel many of us do baby size projects and afghans as a society here in North America.
So the question are…
- How likely are you to do an adult article of clothing in a pattern book, internet website or magazine?
- If you do adult clothing, what types of projects?
- If you do use pattern, what are the projects you mostly look for and why?