Hard Not To Rush Crochet Afghans

It’s taking all my might not to rush myself and settled for second best.

Are you like me where you get excited about a pattern and then make the afghan smaller than you planned just to say you finished it?

Getting the Right Size Crochet Afghan

Getting the right width and height for Corner to Corner Crochet Afghans

I am currently working on a Double Size Bed Spread Version of the Corner to Corner Afghan. The width is the bottom section on the right hand side of the photograph. My issue is that a Double Size Afghan isn’t a square afghan. It’s off in the height by maybe 6″. No big deal really. I have to make this rectagular which I have shown in my video tutorial.

So at this point, I have to ensure on the bottom right that I don’t grow the afghan any more outward. I want to start forming the edge on the right hand side and work going vertical now.

On the left hand side, the afghan isn’t tall enough to equal the length of the bed spread. For that side, I want to continue to grow vertical that side about 6″ before starting to bring the afghan square across the top. This means, for the right side, I am continuing to grow upward only now while the left side is going to start going up in a straight direction inside of outwards. For a very small section, the cross section won’t be corner to corner as I achieve the length and width I need.

Once I get the height I need, then both sides will then start moving in an upward and across in the direction to the final corner we are supposed to end up in. It’s the only way to make a corner to corner afghan rectangular by doing this method. A square afghan won’t fit my bed right. I don’t want to skimp as I know I will regret it later.

So I cannot rush creativity at this point… I want to but I know if I do I won’t be using this afghan as it won’t be perfectly fitting my bed. To get my size, I have been measuring this afghan on my bed to eye it up for sizing.

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, Tutorial Videos and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Hard Not To Rush Crochet Afghans

1. Karen Yeats says:

Will chenille yarn work well with corner to corner? Thanks.

2. Pingback: Crochet Rainbow Waves Afghan Tutorial – YouTube | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

3. charlie says:

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I dont know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

4. Elaine says:

I learned to take my time, every time I rush I mess up. I like my work to be good.
    That is why I am always behind on all my projects, I take to much time.

5. I learned to take my time. I do sometimes want to rush but find that it takes more time because I am pulling my work out when I rush.

6. Mary torpy says:

I’m having the same problem same pattern and mine is for a baby gift. so it’s baby sized.have to decide if it’s crib or bassinet

7. Marilyn says:

Wow, Mikey, that afghan is gorgeous! What yarn is that?

8. coleen says:

Thanks, like your site..

9. Jan Robison says:

Every time I try to hurry up and finish, I either screw up on the pattern or can “just tell” I was anxious to finish that part. Sad, but true .

10. I got a little confusted but what a great idea, I do hope it all turns out the way you want, take a moment to breath and think now and again, I too get very anxious, and might not do exactly as I should, It’s funny people always tell me I must have a lot of patience, when really it takes the most patience when i am nearing the end.,

11. Coloradolady says:

In situations like that, I just make it by the directions and then crochet around the whole finished item adding, in your case, 3″ to each end and maybe 1″ to the sides. I use the trim as my way of sizing the item up! Much easier and doesn’t take away from the original pattern that I liked.