Crochet Pet Peeves Confessions

Free Crochet Projects and Resources

Learn crochet ideas, free tutorials and free patterns with Mikey.

There are some things in crochet that bug me a bit. Some of which has turned into a pet peeve.

For fun, I am asking Crochet Crowders  to post a comment below telling us what your crochet pet peeve is.

I will start with mine:

Though I know how to handle knots in yarn, I still get peeved when I discover a knot in the middle of a yarn ball. Not just any yarn ball… but a yarn ball that is a slow colour transition. On one side there will be the colour I am working with, on the other side of the knot is a completely out of sync colour. This messes us my colour transitioning look for my project. Though I have come to accept this is a reality amongst all yarn companies, it still gets my blood pressure to rise.

What’s your Crochet Pet Peeve? Share with me below. Will be interesting to see what all of our opinions are. Maybe we share a commonality in peeves too!

This entry was posted in Announcements and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

285 Responses to Crochet Pet Peeves Confessions

1. Debbie says:

Reading everyone’s comments. I have several, but I deal with it the best I can. To me the joy and comfort I get from the Hobby is worth it.

2. B-R says:

My biggest peeve is patterns that make me jump back and forth between sizes for the instructions for my size. I just bought a download so I could take it along on any device…….well it’s row 14 from one size on this page, rows 16 & 17 from another size on another page and so forth over 4-5 pages. The pattern is by a respected designer (also a cute sweater), but I am nuts trying to keep my place. Honestly, it’s a pdf format, how hard would it gave been to make each size complete?? How much room are we talking? If I had seen a printed version, I would never have purchased it. Thanks for my chance to rant!!

3. Kerry says:

Ooh, another, not having enough time/money/expertise/patience to learn to do all the projects I want to do

4. Kerry says:

Using yarn from your stash, needing more and discovering it’s no longer sold, or made! = Lapghan instead of afghan. Lesson learnt: if you buy yarn for your stash/collection, either buy as much as you can, or buy a nice contrasting colourway or colour!

5. Wendy Ludwick says:

A single crochet has one loop, in addition to the original loop, to work off, a double has two, a triple has three, and a double-triple has four. Why can’t we call the double-triple a quad?

6. Cheryl S says:

I know this is late but here it goes….photos of crochet or knitted items for kids/ babies that are either too small, like a baby hat who’s ears are not covered at all, or too big, like a toddler dress that should be on a child 2 sizes bigger. Every time I look through one of my books I see this. S, if they are going to use those models, make the items to fit them!

7. Sheryl says:

Not having the money to afford the yarns I am wanting so. Most of my budget goes to my health and leaves me with little play room. I find this most frustrating… and my biggest pet peeve in this “hobby”.

8. Honestly my biggest pet peeve is when people come up to me and ask me what I’m knitting! Grrrr! I say “nothing, I don’t know how to knit.”

9. HollyHobbie says:

Weaving in the ends! Especially for those cute granny square patterns where there are a lot of color changes. Looks so pretty in the pattern photos, but ugh, I hate when it comes time to finish the project! Tough on baby blankets, as they tend to get washed more, and the ends wind up pulling out.

10. sylvie says:

My pet peeves are patterns that are supposed to be flat, but when I make them, the thing curls. Or twists. Or rearranges itself into some weird three dimensional object -such as cone, wave, cube(!) – that it was never meant to be. And I have no clue whatsoever why.
    I am currently working on a project that whas supposed to be a sprial throw but will probably end up on someone’s head as a cap.
    Happens to me all the time.

11. Diamond Debbie says:

I have several pet peeves, the main one is reading “Negative Nelly” posts. That is when someone bashes another persons work, calling it “ugly”, or “I wouldn’t wear that to a dog fight.” type comments. I find them rude and disrespectful. (and no, no one has called anything of mine ugly. :D) If you don’t like the article or post, then just pass it by and go to the next one. I haven’t found that to be the case with The Crochet Crowd very often, but it goes on alot with some of the other groups. It bothers me so much that I only come here now, (I have “unliked” the other pages) so I can see all the beautiful things and get positive inspiration.
    The other thing is joining stuff together. OMG I hate that!! Sewing is not my strong suit….but the lack of time to crochet is my next biggest pet peeve. I have 2 jobs and an aging mom to care for, so time is very precious. I try to crochet for at least an 1/2 hour before bed every night. It doesn’t always work out that way. Sure takes a long time to complete a project. On a positive note, my stash is growing because of this. I just can’t pass up a good deal. 😀

12. JCG1224 says:

I too don’t like sewing squares together so I make one huge square. I was in the grocery store one day when I heard two young girls talking about a friends baby shower and making nasty comments on hand made baby blankets. Now you know I couldn’t let that go without commenting on just how many hours I spend crocheting afghans. I mentioned the price of the nicer yarns and that I put a huge amount of myself into everything I make for someone else, and that I didn’t just go pick up a gift at the last minute. I think I embarrassed them a little, but I just couldn’t listen to them talk down about crocheted items like that.

I had an aunt who never appreciated the items her mother (my grandmother) made years ago when I was a child and it always bothered me…..now that I have gotten older I speak up a little more….lol.
    JCG1224

• Sue Kohler says:

Good for you!!! Too many people seem to focus on the latest “store bought” or “designer whatever” item. They’ve lost focus on the good old days when people made things by hand and put their love, time and energy into doing it.

• veryjoyful says:

Good for you! Fortunately there are a lot of people who appreciate hand-crafted gifts.

~~~Victoria – http://www.etsy.com/shop/veryjoyfulcreations

P.S. I hate sewing squares together too. I’ve decided to avoid squares until I get bored with everything else!

13. Maryann Rizer-Andrade says:

Mikey…for your pet peeve on the knots in the yarn…here is a link to a technique that might be worthwhile learning… http://blog.lionbrand.com/2012/06/19/how-to-russian-join-yarn-in-7-easy-steps/

14. I really hate when someone posts a “Free Pattern” then when you look at it, there are no pictures and the pattern is really badly written.

15. Zahra says:

I get frustrated when I purchase a pattern and then when I’m getting on with it, there is a mistake in it. I don’t mind if it’s American or British English, I’ve learned to work with either. Another peeve is that we in the UK see all the amazing equipment for our favourite pastime that is readily available overseas but which is unavailable here. (skip-stitch blade for crocheting around fleece blankets is my latest acquisition from the USA). Anyway, keep up the good work with this website and thanks for the many interesting items and tutorials. 🙂

• Barbara Adams says:

Oh my goodness, I am totally with you on this, why, oh why can’t the uk be up to date? Is it that MEN who don’t have the slightest idea about running this country, forget about craft import/export! Or someone with an ounce of sense set up a small business? Sorry, I am going on one here, as in MY PET PEEVE!

16. iluvcats4@frontier.com says:

My pet peeve is when you finally find the inside end of the yarn, start crocheting, and pull out a big wad of tangled yarn from the middle. Then I have to stop and spend forever untangling yarn that is SUPPOSED to come out smoothly from the skein. I agree with an earlier comment. Why can’t the manufacturers make the inside end easy to find and pull smoothly as you work like it’s supposed to?

17. Mare says:

I, too, hate the knots! But learned that “splicing” together two ends of yarn is worth the tedium! It takes a bit longer, but the results are NO KNOTS!!! Unfortunately, to splice varigated so it matches is a little trickier! Splicing also works very well when you transition from one color to the next without knotting or having to weave in ends! love this method!

18. JoLynn says:

I spend far too many hours searching for decently challenging thread crochet patterns. There are precious few patterns more challenging than beginner-level doilies but less so than Victorian Irish Crochet.

• Maryann Rizer-Andrade says:

http://www.freepatterns.com/list.html?cat_id=308…I googled “doily patterns” and came up with a list…

• Pat Reish says:

Thank you so much for the web address for more doilies. A friend of mine has been having to make up her own for years.

• JoLynn says:

Thanks for this resource. I’m still looking for something more challenging – like a blouse or dress! But for fans of doilies, i can’t over-recommend “Magic Crochet” magazine. Long out of print, you may still be able to find old copies. I have my mother’s collection, and there are more doily patterns than I will be able to crochet in my life!

19. veryjoyful says:

Like a lot of us, I hate joins/knots in a new skein of yarn, especially if it’s variegated or ombre. I have taken to rewinding everything, even center pulls, so I can cut out any knots ahead of time.

I also dislike weaving in tails, but there’s no way to get around that!

I hate sewing pieces together, so I avoid granny squares like the plague!

“Wandering” edges are also a peeve of mine. My first large afghan is about 18 inches wider in some places than it is in others!

Patterns that specify a discontinued yarn without giving any specs (weight, yardage, etc.) so you can’t figure out a substitute.

Non-crocheters who comment on “how much money I can save crocheting my own clothes.” Have you ever priced yarn???

–Victoria/VeryJoyful

20. Susan Risdal says:

Mistakes in patterns. I have frogged and re-done projects, only to figure out that the mistake was not mine but in the pattern. Frustrating. Oh, and knots inside yarn skeins.

• Michelle of NINJASKEINS on Facebook says:

Ugh!! Me too! I have only been crocheting for a little over a year now. This drives me nuts to no end. If I wanted to write patterns I would if I could. But the patterns are supposed to make things easier. Uh no not when your following one that makes no sense. I re-write half the patterns I do because of others mistakes. It’s so aggravating.

• Patti Blake says:

hi, that problem with patterns makes me crazy too.

• JCG1224 says:

I have also had problems with patterns. I normally just change it now to however works for me, unless it is clothing, then you have to be more particular.

21. Carol says:

Pet peeve? I wish I had known about The Crochet Crowd long ago! I had tried off and on for years to crochet and could never figure it out. (Plus I’m a leftie – LOL!) An acquaintance told me about TCC’s YouTube videos … and now I can crochet! THANK YOU!!!

• Maryann Rizer-Andrade says:

I am a lefty also…I learned when I was 16 from a righty…she faced me to teach me….

22. Kathy Dortenzo says:

I recently had a skein of yarn that must have been a mill end. In several spots it was pieced together with tight knots, no tails to work into the prayer shawl I was making. I had to cut out several feet and piece it together because I was concerned that the knots would eventually come apart and the shawl would fall apart. What happened to “quality control”?

23. Catherine says:

Pet peeve, huh? How “bout yarns from the same company, same weight, actually same name and, as you work your project up, the yarns are different thicknesses!?! Drives me nutsy to have to stop, mid-project, to find a substitute.

• I agree! This is a problem I experienced recently while doing a granny square afghan. I went to sew them all together and darned if some were just very “thin” while others were “thick” – same manufacturer and same type of yarn. Why???

24. Maureen Wellman says:

You can get knots out of jewelry chains by putting the chain on a piece of glass and using
    straight pins or needles or corsarge type pins to undo it. This is how antique dealers do it.
    It works really well so I recommend you try it!

25. Jude Boden says:

I am increasingly aggravated by the English speaking crochet communities inability to agree on crochet terms and yarn weights. Personally, I don’t care whether it is the English or American convention that is adopted, please can we just make a decision! The crochet terms aren’t so bad, the minute you read hdc or htc it is becomes obvious where the pattern originates, but I have had to start a database of yarn weights/metres to determine equivalent yarns to those available in other countries.
    On the plus side, it does mean that my projects have a certain unique quality, if they are based on an American pattern!

26. Laurel Nikolic says:

Knots are a pain but I think my biggest pet peeve is that there isn’t enough hours in the day for me to crochet. I find when I start to do a project that I hate to have to put the hooks down until I can get it finished ,but we all know that some things can’t be done in one night. I guess I get anxious to see the finished product. I love to crochet and I love the Crochet Crowd for their patterns and Mikey’s inspirational videos and how to’s. Thank you .

27. Barbara Adams says:

Like you, I HATE knots in balls of yarn, I tend to graft a new ball into my work not knot the yarn! When I see a knot that the manufacturer, when spinning the yarn has made, I go ballistic! I even got in touch with the yarn mills themselves, but to no avail. Unfortunately it’s something we have to put up with, sad, because yarn can be quite expensive, and you don’t expect knots in the middle of balls of expensive wools., Rant over!
    Barbs Adams

28. Cher-Lynn says:

What get me irritated is when the the inside end is all knotted up. I crochet from the outside in because of this problem. Still sometimes just when I am really cruising along I have to stopped to untangle the mess in the middle. The other pet peeve is when I can’t find the end on a ball of crochet thread. I turn and turn and turn wasting time looking for it when I could be starting my new doily.

29. Diane says:

My pet peeve is when you can’t find the end of the yarn to pull out from the center of the skein….I mean…come on yarn companies…how hard can it be?!

• Paige Keith says:

That’s my #1 peeve too! I think there should be a place for the yarn end to be placed similar to the end of the spool of thread hooked into the notch on the spool. That way it wouldn’t get all tangled up and pulled out in the store, but it would eliminate the problem of finding the yarn end. Mikey, please feel free to forward this idea on to Red Heart. Thanks!

30. Pam Hoots says:

It’s kinda funny that your pet peeve is knots. I was crocheting one day and I came upon a large knot from the middle of my yarn. Ever since I was a kid I was known for sitting quietly and undoing a knot. No matter what it was or how big or tight it was, I always seemed to undo the knots. Until a while back. I got a package from my Mom with some my Grandmother’s jewelry inside. We had just lost her and this was a gift to me. Unfortunately, the chains had gotten all knotted up and try as I might I just couldn’t get it undone. I was so upset but I didn’t get some things to remember my Grandma by. But I love undoing knots.