Which Side is Right & Wrong: The Answer

Right Side vs Wrong Side in Crochet

What side is which? What is the right side and what is the wrong side?

Just for fun on Facebook yesterday, I asked the question on this Juicy Fruits & Whipped Creme Afghan:

In this picture, which side is which? Can you tell which is the right side and which is the wrong side?

The answer is that Bottom is the right side and the top is the wrong side.

How can you tell?

For me it’s an obvious giveaway with how the stitches appear. I use my method of determining the formation of a hat. You will notice when you crochet a hat that one side appears differently than the other. The right side of the hat, the stitches want to form themselves up like a ‘bowl shape’. If you look at the bottom portion of this picture, you will see the the stitches look sunken inward.

On the wrong side, the stitches want to get away from you by curling away. So essentially you are looking at the bottom of the bowl.

I will admit, even as a professional and the designers tell me to turn a project to the right side when we have just been crocheting a Double Crochet panel, I’m completely out to lunch and admit I am unsure which side is which. That’s when I fake it! 🙂

For me, on a personal level, I prefer the look of the Right Side of most crochet projects. The stitches look more defined and beautiful to me. So in an afghan, I will have placed the afghan so it is the right side facing upward when on a chair or sofa.

Having said I prefer the right side most, in this particular project, The Juicy Fruits & Whipped Creme Afghan, I prefer the wrong side. It looks more beautiful, in my opinion, than the right side.

Either way, you are the crochet artist, you can decide for yourself what you like. There’s really no right or wrong answer when it comes to personal style and tastes. Do what makes you happy!

This entry was posted in Advice & Tips, Crochet Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Which Side is Right & Wrong: The Answer

1. DeeDee says:

I agree, I knew the ‘right’ side by the way the crossed stitches lay… but I like the back side better too; for 1 thing the sc in the top of the fan doesn’t show as much on the back. 🙂 I think the better the stitch process is hidden in the final design the better I like the pattern… that is one of the reasons I really like this pattern after all the odd rows are for the most part hidden.

2. I always leave the yarn from my starting chain,until I’ve finished an item, and that way I know which is the right or wrong side from the position of that little bit of yarn 🙂

3. Lizzie says:

I have to say I can’t decide… I really like both. Now I’m going to figure out this pattern. It is so beautiful, I have to give it a try. Wish me luck!

4. Pingback: When Doing Circles: Do I Really Turn? | Knot Just Yarn: The Crochet Crowd Blog

5. Vivian says:

There is definitely a right side and a wrong side to crochet, just like there is a right and a wrong side to clothing, wearing clothing backwards, meaning front of garment worn to the back, driving on the right or wrong side of the street, depending on the law of the area, shoes on right or wrong foot, curtains, blankets, linen, bed spreads have a right and a wrong side,the list is endless. Just because you prefer to use the opposite of the designated or standard right side of something, does not make it the right side. It is your preference, it will be the right side for you. When you start your crochet, you are staring on the right side. When you turn it over it is on, (maybe we should say the other side rather than the wrong side) the opposite side of the right side. When you start the shell pattern, it is obvious that the pattern is like the picture on the bottom, thus the right side. Unless you prefer to say that you start your crochet on the wrong side. Every one has a preference.

6. Well I guess I was wrong! Heh heh!

7. Vicky G says:

I was under the impression that the tail side in which you started your project was the right side..For instance I am a leftie and the tail is on my left side so that would be the right side.. Am I correct?? 🙂

8. Betty Plemmons says:

Oops… I guessed wrong. I really do LOVE the wrong side better than the right though!

9. Douglas Hill says:

I love that, at least for this pattern, either side can be the ‘right’ side. More like than not, that is not the case.

10. Michelle says:

That’s why we say “front” or “back”, not “right” or “wrong”! Preference 🙂

11. Doreen McCarthy says:

Ha ha. I guessed the top to be the right side because I liked it better! I was wrong but not really as you also like the “wrong” side better. 🙂

12. meredith stand says:

Figures, I usually prefer the wrong side 🙂

13. Antoinette Swett says:

I determine it by looking at the cross stitch. If I remember correctly, the 2nd stitch was worked backward one stitch. The slant would then have been NW to SE orientation.

14. Julie says:

I AGREE TOTALLY!!! BUT, either way IS gorgeous!!!!