The Changes of The Crochet Crowd

Amazing Online Community of Crocheters

Tips, Tricks and Everything Crochet

If you have been following me on our Facebook Crochet Community Page, you  know that I have been monkeying around with new programming. The programming has been burping and doing things that are clearly wrong.

In reviewing what Cathy and I do daily, there’s a common thread of issues that we are forever treading through. Our inbox is a hot spot of activity for people wanting resources, help and for us to do things.

Our weakness is a lack of resources and people power to do everything. We are just two people with are having ‘time management’ issues. We are running out of time and it wasn’t for utter exhaustion, we would work 24-7 if we never required sleep to rejuvenate.

I was watching a video last month of a woman who discovered The Crochet Crowd. Though, we can tell by our online presence and our inbox that we are excelling in the resources we provide, it was this video that put a face to the 1000’s of emails where I got the message loud and clear. Her comments were not only about Cathy and I, but more so directed to the followers who are excited about crochet. The followers that go through our Facebook and help others without any conditions or expectations in return.

What we have seen, especially this year, is that followers are either missing the tips, suggestions and free patterns offered by us. Typical email, “Mikey, you featured a scarf that was all black about 1 – 2 months ago, can you tell me what the pattern was?”

On an average day, I refer a handful of ideas. I share tons of posts by our fans with their projects. I cannot answer this type of email as I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday verses trying to remember one of 1000’s of images that pass over my eyes in any given month.

Facebook is great, but it has one major downfall. It doesn’t track the past in specific content that may be important with specific searching.

With seeing this woman’s reaction to her excitement for The Crochet Crowd. Then seeing our email inbox stuffed with the questions that are generally the same. I have to do a better job of executing the resources so they are easier to find.

Going forward:

• You will be starting to see more updates coming from my blog to Facebook so you can find the patterns easier.
  • Pattern suggestions and ideas will be generated from my blog and trackable through the categories on my blog.
  • We will be adding a Questions & Answers Section from our mailbox. This way people can see what has already been asked and get quicker answers.

Our goal is to make it easier to participate. Easier for people to get the information they need. Though, there will also be people who would prefer to email a question when the answer is searchable, we think this will greatly help the people who are more in a rush instead of waiting for us to sift through our email.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Assorted and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Changes of The Crochet Crowd

1. meg says:

I cancelled my Facebook account several years ago. For me, it was simply a waste of time. I would much prefer to read your blog & your newsletters, and watch your videos on Youtube. I would much rather be able to search for a specific topic than to slog through thousands of unrelated comments on a Facebook page.

Please remember that many of your fans don’t use Facebook or Pinterest or other social media.

2. Gillian Coleman says:

You are becoming my primary source for everything. I love looking thru for stuff, cause I am always reminded of stuff I “forgot”. The search will be fabulous. If you haven’t done it yet, maybe add a small “support” button somewhere on the newsletter. So when I am able I can send some easypeasy.

3. Tina says:

I think you are doing a great job, do the best you can and everything else will work it self out 🙂

4. Antoinette Swett says:

Mikey’s, Cathy and all of those of the Crochet Crowd.
    I just discovered you all about 6 weeks ago. Thank you to all you, for helps and encouragement given among everyone. From reading and reviewing questions, answers, videos, and others things I have learned so much. I have almost always designed my own projects as I went along, but kept some notes and ideas for each. When the project was finished and given, I would toss papers and photos into a drawer. Well after seven years of this, the drawer would not close anymore. Something had to be done. I had just discovered info on patterning and charting.
    After reviewing on how to write and diagram/chart a pattern, I became determine to organize all the papers properly. So as of June 1, I started!!! I finished yesterday, the 11, and had done over crochet 500 patterns, all neatly filed and organized into an 4″ 3 ring binder now.
    I have made a promise to myself to keep my Crochet and Needlepoint, my other passion, journals up to date and not just dumped into a drawer. Also promised myself to write up pattern, diagram and chart of project as it was being worked on. I currently have 7 WIP/UFO in process, only one is a free pattern all the rest are mine. Did those those today.
    Since being forced into retirement due to health, I was looking forward to sitting moping and being bored out of my mind. Crocheting and you all have given me something to look forward to with excitement. Now that I am back into being in organized mode, like in my career, been crocheting up a storm. Not to bad for for someone with two severely disabled hands. Been typing with only one finger this entire message. Sorry for any spelling and grammar errors.
    I am hoping to be able to be “hooking on the high seas” in February. THANK YOU ALL!!!! Ant.

5. click says:

you are doing a great job keep it up

6. Margaret Bernardi says:

No matter what you do you will never satisfy everyone so don’t even try. There are thousands of us that are happy with what you do no matter what it is. Please do not burn yourselves out trying to do more. I cannot think of anything worse than you and Cathy losing your zest for crocheting as a result of our demands when you do so much to inspire us all.

We can all help by answering questions if we know or can figure out the answer and we can all help by being a little more thoughtful with our questions and not being too lazy to look before we ask.

Personally, I enjoy searching through patterns. Of course while looking for a specific pattern I may get sidetracked by a few other beautiful “must-try” patterns that I see but that is part of the fun of the search. It is like a treasure hunt with little jewels scattered along the way.

Please know how much we appreciate you both for all you do and I for one enjoy being part of a group that is so positive and supportive.

7. Mikey and Cathy you are both wonderfully awesome people and I and we and us all appreciate everything you both do 🙂 Thank yu for trying to make things better, but know that you guys are already awesome, what you’re doing is awesome, and it will only get awesome-er 😀

8. Marie Buckley says:

How about having a web form for contacting you instead of direct email? You could then have a drop down box to categorise the type of query it is and sort your mail more effectively. You could then delegate the workload and deal with the stuff that really needs your attention.

9. Laura says:

You two do an outstanding job already. To ask for more seems selfish. When I go to look for a pattern mentioned on Facebook I always get sidetracked by all the amazing content on your site. I am still a rank beginner and need your videos – I am attempting the Juicy Fruits throw for a friend. You have to set limits on just how much you can do in one day. It is not worth sacrificing your personal life. I was saddened to see that your birds are up for adoption – don’t let it go any further! Maybe the biggest change to the Crochet Crowd would be a big HELP button where your followers can ask questions that other followers can answer. I am awed by the talent pool that is already in place and I am sure many would love to help. Mikey, you have touched more lives than you could ever know. Keep doing what you love to do but don’t be afraid to say NO.

10. Brenda says:

I just found this page and love what you are doing. I just think some people are lazy and dont/wont take the time to scroll up and down to find things…it irks me to see posts asking the same question over and over when the answer was just higher up in the list. Hopefully they’ll start taking the time and not flood your inbox anymore!

11. Karen Hine says:

I am relitively new to the crowd and you and your followers have helped me with more than one question. I enjoy seeing the work of fellow crocheters and learning the new patterns you post. Please keep up the great work. Thumbs up to both you Mikey and Cathy.

12. Stephanie says:

You said something in a video once that gave me back my zest for crocheting, and I use it in all aspects of my life. You said, “You can do whatever you want. You’re the artist”. Thank you so much for reminding me that this is my joy. My passion. My choice. You have my full support in whatever decisions you make about how to do what you love. And I thank you for making it available to people like me.

13. didough says:

I really can’t believe you run this fantastic resource for all of us, with just 2 people! I vote you do whatever makes life easier for you and totally ignore any negative remarks. Many thanks for all you do

14. Cindy Drinkwater says:

Crocheting is relaxing, working on a computer is frustrating.

15. Both yourself and Cathy are doing an amazing job of helping so very many people Mikey – the changes you are making are going to make a huge difference, I can see 🙂
    Let’s hope it gives you back a little of time for yourselves, too 🙂

16. Mikey ,you are just awesome love your passion,your creativity and love all that you and the Crochet Crowd do for all of us I know at times it is not easy but I Thank You from the bottom of my heart. You brought back the love of crocheting to me after I lost my husband gave me something to do to get threw my hard times so as. I once heard don’t remember. Where but. ( Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff. ). We all know how busy you are creating new ideas trying new products putting up your blogs,web pages etc besides you do have a life And I think a lot of us understand that and I know myself if I see someone asking a question I try to help out and answer as do others. So don’t stress you can’t please everyone technology is always changing Boston there’s always more to fix or add on we’ll enough said I think you got the gesture of what I’m trying to say ,Thank you for all you do God Bless my friend 😉

17. Anne Fatato says:

Knowing that no one (or even two) person (people) can meet the needs of so many followers (which grows daily I’m sure!!) I would say you & Cathy do a fantastic job & we are grateful for all you do to help promote Crocheting!!!!! Please continue to do your best but remember you do deserve a break and your followers need to remember that as well. Thank you for so many helpful resources and fun challenges!!!!

18. mawmom says:

This all sounds wonderful, I appreciate all the work you and Cathy do on our behalf. Thanks Mikey :O)

19. Tracy Maschke says:

You do a great job already – keep up the great work and I am sure everything will work out!