Don’t you just love when you felt you ripped off someone at a yard sale knowing you just picked up something for a nickel that was normally twenty bucks or more. You can’t help but think, pay it real quick, run to the car and leave rubber tire marks on the road thinking that the previous owner doesn’t know what just happened.
On The Crochet Crowd Facebook Fan Page, viewers have been revealing that yard sales are one of the most fabulous ideas for implementing creativity, getting inspiration, and picking up incredible products. One viewer revealed she got nearly 30 skeins yarn for five dollars. She scored about one hundred and forty five dollars. The previous owner was over purchasing yarn and got carried away thinking she would use it one day. One day never came and its now on the yard being sold to someone else with lots of ambition.
I’m not a fan of hosting a yard sale. People do slow and judge like prey animals. I have to smile when you see the people in the car and the woman figure has got her hand over her mouth to stop us from reading her lips. I can just hear it. “It’s junk… where’s the next sign!”. With so many people driving by without ever getting out, I look around and say, “Sheesh all my stuff must be junk!”
Yard sales to me are puzzles of creativity. A bit from this sale, combined with another sale can make a complete item. I love decorating clay pots that sit in the garden as part of the décor. Most plants aren’t in bloom all summer, so a freshly painted pot sitting amongst the green between flowering times can add so much beauty. It’s not like figurines where today’s trend is out next year. Pots can be re-painted at any time.
I’ve come to adopt the feeling that the junkier the sale appearance, the more you have to discover. Viewers have chimed in on this topic on The Crochet Crowd on Monday May 23, 2011. See their opinion below.
- I just like to snoop. I get out of the car if there looks like a good amount of stuff. Love multi family sales. If there is only a little out there I usually skip it.
- I did a yard sale the other day. I had matching Table Clothes, professional signature and all colour coded… I think that is why no one got out… was too organized.
- I don’t mind organized–In fact- one of my biggest pet peeves is totally unorganized with no prices!
- I look to see if it has some organization to it. If it is just out there I don’t stop It may be your Junk but to others it could be a diamond mine. I go looking for craft supplies and things I didn’t know I needed lol
- I have always made a list througout the year of things I would like to find at yard sales during the summer. I give the lists to family and friends so they can also keep an eye out for me and let me know if they find any of the items Im loo…king for. Right now on my list I have buttons, lace, fabric, yarn, crochet needles, microwave, and the list goes on and on. I refuse to stop at yard sales that only have “one table” full of stuff. I am a drive by shopper or so my husband says. I drive by really slow and try to see if it looks like its worth stopping at.
- Both! I usually have a mental list of what I want to keep an eye out for and sometimes just find things that I just hae to have! To stop I have to see more than just clothes and a box of books! Yes the junkier the sale the better and usually better prices! I hate going to overpriced yard sales!
- We are running a garage sale at the moment. We plan on doing it on most nice weekends through out the summer. We have tons of nice things and do not price most items. That way the stickers don’t ruin the item (which has happened to us lots) and if you are interested, ask. Our answer is usually fair or “make me an offer”.
- Usually we drive by slow and then if I see something I want to check out we get out. Usually we are just looking for clothes for my 4 year old daughter. I like to look for stuff so if it is organized or not I don’t mind. Usually when I have… my own I try to get everything organized to a point. People still have to look through the boxes of clothes, but I put all the clothes in one area LOL.
My mom on the other hand will get out at all yard sales she sees and really look around. She doesn’t care what it looks like. When she throws a yard sale though I think she over prices her stuff. You aren’t supposed to be trying to make money you are supposed to be getting rid of stuff.
- I love to snoop and see what treasures I can find! I stop at every one I can find. And if they have toys I have to stop so my daughter can look. Some time it pays off. I have found some great things to use for crafting. Love to find knitted… swetters that are no longer wanted. I Frogg them for the yarn, buttons, zippers… Love to remake old or broken jewlery new. I add it to my crochet, knit, or just make more jewlery with it.
- When my mom used to take my brothers and I out, we used to hunt for lost treasures, it was definately a case of the junkiest yard sale was the best to go to. I remember finding a vinyle copy of Elton John’s Yellow Brick Road, it was amazing…! Some of my best memories are of getting up on Saturday, walking around the neighborhood with a twenty dollar bill, and going back home with an armful of things, they just don’t do it like that anymore.See Moreabout an hour ago · LikeUnlike
- A sale has to have lots of stuff!! Not piles and piles of clothes. A table of folded clothes and some on a hanging rack won’t deter me. But I want to see tables of books and tchotchkes. Toys are okay, but piles of stuffed animals…yuck! Furniture yes, tires NO! But lots of stuff visible from the street.
- Kids selling lemonade or water & sodas are a plus. The organizer wearing a hat and apron mean organized to me.
- PRICED ITEMS! If items are not priced or priced far to high, organized or not, I will walk away. I know many o fthe things we see in true garage sales are personal treasures and have a history with the seller but the seller has to be hone…st and put good prices (prices that will sell) on their items. I put low prices on my items and sell more than if I had high prices… .would much rather see the money in my pocket than the item back in my house! Homemade items that are made for the sale (Like Mikey’s) are a whole other story!
- I usually go out if I have something I am looking for and enjoy the snooping. Gas prices are to high these days to just go out without a reason.